Lady Gaga - ARTPOP (4th studio album)

Comments

• Cosmic GiftedCosmic Gifted Posts: 3,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like some songs on the album, Applause and Venus are probably the best. Dope reminds me of Hair/Speechless for some reason. Overall, it's a good album but compared to the the fame and her other albums so far it's probably the worst. There's nothing that really screams hit to me.
  • AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually think this is a better album than Born This Way, I've only heard it once but it seems to flow much better.
    Highlights after one listen are G.U.Y, Sex Dreams, Aura, Venus, Swine and Gypsy.
    However I remember enjoying every song so the others will grow on me more.
    Jewels and Drugs shocked me at first, I thought it was a song Rihanna should be doing not Gaga, however by the end of it I kinda liked it lol.
  • tim18tim18 Posts: 737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whats so good about g.u.y it sounds so generic?
  • AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tim18 wrote: »
    Whats so good about g.u.y it sounds so generic?

I just like it.
  • icanboogieicanboogie Posts: 770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    After a few listens I think it's...okay
    I have the cd and struggle to listen to it all of the way through.

Best tracks are Venus, Sexx Dreams, Do What U Want, Dope, Gypsy and Applause

Donatella is a grower but I am confused...is she not a friend of Donatella's?

Jewels n Drugs is the shittiest song ever (okay not ever but nearly)

It reminds me of The Fame. I loved Born This Way on first listen, Artpop just doesn't grab me.
  • gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tyyleer wrote: »
    Gpk stop being a hypocrite. I'm with So 3008 on this one. They mentioned Prism because in the original comments you exchanged both Artpop and Prism were mentioned and 3008 was stating how the predictions for both were a lot different to actual.

And why do people get so touchy when you compare sales, chart positions etc with other similar artists? Nothing wrong with doing this.

i am not going accept that, because we are not here to discuss my posting style and we are certainly not here to target individuals with name calling. its irrelevant and against the forum's terms and conditions.

i will accept that maybe i was touchy about the comparable sales, but it just seems like a defence mechanism to me used by some and i was also aware of how the thread keeps veering off topic.
  • So 3008So 3008 Posts: 2,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My copy has finally arrived, and the foil cover is gorgeous!
  • Gigi4Gigi4 Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    X-Digit-Xx wrote: »
    I like some songs on the album, Applause and Venus are probably the best. Dope reminds me of Hair/Speechless for some reason. Overall, it's a good album but compared to the the fame and her other albums so far it's probably the worst. There's nothing that really screams hit to me.

I didn't like the album at first, but I am definitely warming up to it now. It takes time to get into. It's not as immediate as having obvious hits like BTW.
  • trevvytrev21trevvytrev21 Posts: 16,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did anyone see The Culture Show on bbc2 last night? Good interview, but it came across that Gaga is into the full-on art at the moment, perhaps detracting from the actual music. ARTPOP - as an album - is not very arty, at all. :confused:
  • TH14TH14 Posts: 11,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did anyone see The Culture Show on bbc2 last night? Good interview, but it came across that Gaga is into the full-on art at the moment, perhaps detracting from the actual music. ARTPOP - as an album - is not very arty, at all. :confused:

I think she's trying too hard to be 'arty' and people can see through the crap.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TH14 wrote: »
    I think she's trying too hard to be 'arty' and people can see through the crap.

It's such a shame. You can collaborate with people like Koons and Marina, create some good stuff even - but then to bang on about art endlessly in a highbrow interview.. Nah. Viewers of The Culture Show would see right through it.
  • Gigi4Gigi4 Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I like a lot of her music, but her pretentious artistic persona does annoy me. So I usually just avoid her interviews and just listen to her albums.
  • Diane_RobDiane_Rob Posts: 1,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Gaga as a person and performer IS 'arty', but I agree that on the album the music isn't very 'arty' (besides 'artpop' and 'aura' perhaps, in terms of visual possibilities)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Diane_Rob wrote: »
    I think Gaga as a person and performer IS 'arty', but I agree that on the album the music isn't very 'arty' (besides 'artpop' and 'aura' perhaps, in terms of visual possibilities)

Gaga isn't arty but she's tries way too hard to be arty. She needs to cut the crap and go back to basics and back to plain and simple POP. There's nothing wrong with being a pure pop star but there's a lot wrong with pretending to be arty and high brow when it's just not there
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TH14 wrote: »
    Gaga isn't arty but she's tries way too hard to be arty. She needs to cut the crap and go back to basics and back to plain and simple POP. There's nothing wrong with being a pure pop star but there's a lot wrong with pretending to be arty and high brow when it's just not there

Didn't Gaga herself once say, "Pop music will never be lowbrow"? If she'd spent more time on her trademark massive choruses (only Venus, Sexxx Dreams and arguably GUY come close to her previous efforts) and less foghorning in the woods with Marina, the album might be getting a better reception. I'm massively disappointed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    if we are truly believe she is pushing away from the corporate influence like she suggested in that interview, then she is to be applauded for her bravery. however and like other people have mentioned, her music doesn't seem to connect with her artistic aspirations. i guess we have to see if there is any future conviction to her words now.
  • Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think she just believed her own hype and truly thought she was some musical innovator. Actual fact is she was just very lucky that she came out during a period where electro pop was taking off and she had several catchy tunes. Her image made her stand out so she appeared more unique than what she really was.

Another problem is her name. Lady Gaga is a character hiding behind wacky outfits. There is nothing for the casual music buyer to relate with. Adele, Rihanna, Miley, Katy. All these pop girls are able to strike a cord with the average music buyer because they are able to relate with them on a personal level as they are not hiding behind anything. They are real people. Even Pink despite using the name Pink has been able to make herself real. Gaga is just talking about how she is art and makes out she is some sort of freedom fighter for the gays. Its just a big :rolleyes: and :yawn: I mean who the hell is she really?? and thats why her fanbase has folded. Plus her music isn't good enough for what she is trying to imply she is. There is nothing serious here. Its playground pop hidden behind glossy coating to make it look like something it isn't. Seemingly most people are now seeing through it.

Its because of that she is now in a box which she is unable to get out of. Like someone said on the other page. If these sales are true then I think there isn't anyway back for her. She will be 30 in a few years. Once you hit that number teenagers don't like you anymore as you're '''old'''. She needs a new generation to keep her in the pop charts. If she was an album artist age wouldn't matter but for pop it matters. She peaked too soon, did too much too soon and burned out too soon. She is a phenomenon on the same scale of what the Spice Girls were. Trouble is phenomenons can't be sustained long term. She will never have another tour on the scale of Born This Way. Live Nation were playing to massive loses each night. She lost them millions. They will never fund a tour on that level for her again. Certainly not now ARTPOP has just had its first week projections lowered and those projections end up being accurate.

All this said I don't dislike Gaga. I'm a fan but I've never bought into the hype. I've always been able to see what she was and I always knew she would never sustain her success. I said she would be a one decade artist like Prince and I firmly believe this process has started to be reflected.
  • dodger0703dodger0703 Posts: 1,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hypothetically, if she had released born this way before fame monster, what would her fans now be called?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She's not going to have a big budget tour again thats for sure. She struggled to sell out on the back of a big selling album so she will end up having to stick to arenas next time around I should think and if the hip surgery is genuine then she will be physically unable to play lots of dates over a sustained period of time. I don't think it will be a case of ARTPOP Tour coming to a village hall near you but I do think the next tour will be pretty small fry compared to her previous 'balls'
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dodger0703 wrote: »
    Hypothetically, if she had released born this way before fame monster, what would her fans now be called?

Scheisses?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 947
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rae_Amury wrote: »

Still, she is not over. She needed this little decline as an eye opener and hopefully she will learn her lesson. But just like TH14 said, she can work her way back to the top, all she needs is better music. Gaga has it in herself and people love great comeback stories, so I believe that Gaga is here to stay :)

I agree with this completely. As somebody clearly interested in her sales and overall popularity, I think she will have the common sense to swallow her pride and go back to basics and just focus on making quality pop records. The woman is far too talented to fade away. At least I certainly hope so.

She will always be eccentric, thats just who she is, but I want to see more of this in future:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2g8YaWanY-w

less of this nonsense:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaLti8a7COg
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gpk wrote: »
    if we are truly believe she is pushing away from the corporate influence like she suggested in that interview, then she is to be applauded for her bravery. however and like other people have mentioned, her music doesn't seem to connect with her artistic aspirations. i guess we have to see if there is any future conviction to her words now.

She hates Interscope, obviously. They dropped Venus for DWUW, so her hatred is justified. That gorgeous ABBA-esque chorus is one of her best.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She seems to have forgot who she is. She was the down to earth girl from NYC who was a bit different and kooky but knew she was a pop star and revelled in that fact and made great pop hits. People liked her because although she was different she wasn't too strange and people could see she was just an everyday NYC girl come good

Then she started to believe the hype and thought she was in the company of Madonna and MJ and she probably surrounded herself with yes men and she got a bit detached from the real world. I believe Gaga is a pop girl but she has surrounded herself with people who have filled her head with junk and made her to be someone she isnt. I'm not sure if she has or has had a drug problem but that would also explain a lot
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She hates Interscope, obviously. They dropped Venus for DWUW, so her hatred is justified. That gorgeous ABBA-esque chorus is one of her best.

lets indulge that scenario and think about it objectively, is this "hatred" justified though, i mean really? from a commercial prospective dwuw has done better than venus. now if she "hates" them from an artistic prospective, that is different, but from a commercial viewpoint, i think they know best.;)
  • konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    You can't really blame Interscope for exercising a more rigid policing of this album compared to BTW though. That must have been one of the most expensive album launches in history and got mullered by a girl from Tottenham on a launch/pr budget probably 95% smaller. I'm sure they will have demanded far more say this time round.

And I know I'm probably going to attract dissenting posts from Gaga fans for saying this, but getting mullered like that by Adele has clearly affected both her and Interscope's confidence very badly. There's no doubt that both Interscope and Gaga were expecting to completely dominate with BTW. Didn't happen and it's been panic stations ever since...