Old comics, worth much?

Brady12Brady12 Posts: 796
Forum Member
✭✭
Hi all, my brother in law found some old Spider Man comics in his loft, dated 35-40 years ago and in excellent condition.

They'd like to know if they're worth much and where they can sell them. They have already looked online for places to sell but my sister said all th sites she found were American.

Cheers

Comments

• CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brady12 wrote: »
    Hi all, my brother in law found some old Spider Man comics in his loft, dated 35-40 years ago and in excellent condition.

They'd like to know if they're worth much and where they can sell them. They have already looked online for places to sell but my sister said all th sites she found were American.

Cheers

Can't you convert the Dollar into pounds using the current exchange rates? Might be easier then trying to find a site in the UK.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 98
    Forum Member

Cheers

Hi,

which issues? You may be better off selling them to a collector. I could be interested myself.

Quicksilver: http://www.qscomics.com buy collections in the UK I believe.

Adrian
  • Brady12Brady12 Posts: 796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CBFreak wrote: »
    Can't you convert the Dollar into pounds using the current exchange rates? Might be easier then trying to find a site in the UK.

Sorry should have said, there are 77 of them so posting to the US isn't really an option.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Amberite wrote: »
    Hi,

which issues? You may be better off selling them to a collector. I could be interested myself.

Quicksilver: http://www.qscomics.com buy collections in the UK I believe.

Adrian

Have copied this so sorry if it makes no sense:

"here is a few to start with Spiderman No 535-529 June 1983, lots of spider man and hulk team up no. 437 downwards in quite a set and lots called super spider man in collection sets, any help, have them near me if you need any more infoxx"
  • Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have copied this so sorry if it makes no sense:

"here is a few to start with Spiderman No 535-529 June 1983, lots of spider man and hulk team up no. 437 downwards in quite a set and lots called super spider man in collection sets, any help, have them near me if you need any more infoxx"

Though's sound like British reprints. Are they quite big, or the smaller u.s.?. Is the more the one story in them? That said, I'm not sure you'll get a lot for the u.s. Ones even. The bottom fell out of the market in the 90's

Marvel uk reprints are jumble sale fodder.....
  • Inky BinkyInky Binky Posts: 2,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If by chance you think you have a comic that may be worth something, you'll need to have it graded by a professional (that can cost a lot of money). Grading determines what condition the comic is in for collectors. The "grading" will also help determine what the comic is actually worth. If there's a tiny rip, folded page, discoloration, pen ink, it can devalue a comic book quite a bit.

If you don't have your comic graded, then you won't get a decent price offer from collectors (assuming that they want it at all). They'll buy it from you on the cheap instead.

Here's a link
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.silveracre.com/ are a very good dealer in comics, I've dealt with them many times.

However, as already mentioned, those sound like Marvel UK reprints, mainly going off the numbering... Amazing Spider-Man only reached #300 in May 1988. #535 came out November 2006...
  • frostfrost Posts: 4,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In all honesty, unless you have a good copy of a first edition of the issue Superman, Batman or Spiderman and the like deubted in, then its unlikely the comics you have are worth much.
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,685
    Forum Member
    Sorry to hijack the thread but sometimes I wonder about this too, I have some Tintin comics (dating from the 50's to the 70's I think), in fair enough condition given their age, but I doubt theyre worth much and probably produced in the hundreds of thousands.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    Sorry to hijack the thread but sometimes I wonder about this too, I have some Tintin comics (dating from the 50's to the 70's I think), in fair enough condition given their age, but I doubt theyre worth much and probably produced in the hundreds of thousands.

Depends on what exactly you've got. Are we talking UK first edition reprints of the original "Adventures of Tintin" stories or some kind of UK comic based on the Tintin stoies with original content licensed by Studio Herge (if such a thing ever existed... I'm not sure...)
    If the former (first edition reprints of the original Herge adventures) then they can sell for £100+
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,685
    Forum Member
    French edition magazines/comics (picked up in a bookshop in France) featuring other characters and unrelated things, some of the original "Adventures of Tintin" pages not UK I'm afraid. Unfortunately theyre not exclusively Tintin but look fairly old editions/reprints to me. :)
  • Fred E StarFred E Star Posts: 1,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UK Spidey comics?

Use them for lining the cat's tray as they're worth **** all!

Cheers
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for all of your replies, they've been offered £150 for them and are happy with that.

Same company offered £150 for some Star Wars comics too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for all of your replies, they've been offered £150 for them and are happy with that.

Same company offered £150 for some Star Wars comics too.

It would be interesting to know 'exactly' what the comics are because that is a LOT more than I would ever expect for just UK reprints... In all honesty, offered that much, I'd be holding off to find out what I've really got hold of.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it's UK Spidey's I'm with Victor Meldrew!
  • Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can only assume you must of had about three hundred of them.....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can only assume you must of had about three hundred of them.....

Even UK reprints aren't worth that much...

I suspect some info here is incorrect. There's even a risk that the comics are MUCH better than we thought and someone is getting screwed over.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There were 77 of the Spider man ones, will try and get more info from my sister.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Cheers

Well ive got a bunch of transformers comics from 1985 in the bedroom but ive no way would ever sell them because they are sentemental to me as a way of reminding me what I used to read as a kid.

I would like to complete my collection and get the missing issues I need its just ebayers are a bunch of money grabbers asking for stupid amounts of cash for 1 30p comic.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There were 77 of the Spider man ones, will try and get more info from my sister.

77x Marvel UK reprint Spidey comics are not worth £150. I reckon the info she gave you, that you posted in post #5 on here isn't quite right.
    ...asking for stupid amounts of cash for 1 30p comic.

30p then, worth a bit more nowadays but I wouldn't go daft. They're fishing for grown-ups in the UK who now have disposable income who want to complete their collections or US fans who couldn't easily get the UK comics... The TF:UK comics had a heavy amount of original, none-reprint, material that bumps up their values - especially in the US market.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any update?
  • Tannhauser GateTannhauser Gate Posts: 17,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Cheers

I can tell you right now they are worthless. Utterly worthless. You'll probably get more for used toilet paper. Lucky for you, I own a paper-recycling company so I'll take them off your hands for a fiver. PM me. You know it makes sense.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can tell you right now they are worthless. Utterly worthless. You'll probably get more for used toilet paper. Lucky for you, I own a paper-recycling company so I'll take them off your hands for a fiver. PM me. You know it makes sense.

Haven't read the whole thread, have you?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Any update?

Nope, I asked for the info she gave the guy they sold to and she didn't bother giving me it.
  • be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are issues 607-610 of Marvel UK's Spider-Man (27th October - 17th November 1984) worth anything on the international market? They feature a story which was written exclusively for the UK.

http://starlogged.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/1984-spider-man-london-calling-marvel-uk.html
    http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix6/assassin8.htm