Restricted to less than 2mb and no one knows why?

2»

Comments

• F2kSelF2kSel Posts: 1,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It could be external interference, I'm suffering from it right now and I've had it for a month.
    It's killing my speed, I can't really blame ISP or BT as it's beyond their control.

My usual speed is 5mb but can go as low as 2mb when at it's worst.
    Due to the constant drop outs even when there is no interference my SNR has been reduced to 9db.
    I just hope the problem goes away soon.

I'm using ethernet cable.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We'll say about 1/4 of a mile if even, as the crow flies I could probably throw a stone from my back yard and hit the exchange but I doubt the cable goes that way, it'll probably go down to the end of the estate, and up around the corner the exchange.

Someone else said its just congestion, nothing I can do. Odd that I was getting 7mb up until this day last week then down to 1mb

That kind of distance is consistent with the attenuation figure you posted.

Congestion is certainly a factor. However it should vary throughout the day. In off-peak times (eg 3AM or in the middle of the day when most people are at work) you should get a much higher speed than at peak times (eg evening) when everyone is online.

If you are getting a consistent 1Mb whatever time of day you test the line then that suggests some other reason.And a sudden change of speed doesn't really sound like congestion either. Unless your ISP drastically reduced their data capacity into your exchange or had a sudden upsurge in customers signing up in your area.

I would suspect the real answer is some sort of line fault. So unfortunately it's back to beating up EE to get it sorted. If you're lucky next time they send out an Openreach bod you'll get someone who knows what they are doing. I have noticed that Openreach guys vary from total jobsworths who will do the bare minimum to guys who will work their backsides off and go the extra mile to fix a fault. Trouble is you can't book an "extra mile" bloke or avoid the jobsworths so pot luck who you get.

If there is a line fault and EE can't/won't fix it and you get fed up and switch providers you are likely to end up in the same situation. A line fault will affect whoever provides your service.
  • EarakeEarake Posts: 1,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which exchange are you on ?

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/adslchecker.php
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Serves (approx): 1,080 premises.

With only BT ADSLMax present in that exchange, I can't see congestion being the problem.

http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/?exchange=Ballyronan&exact=3700&plugin=vp

More likely a fault in the exchange/local green cab affecting your connection.

Any neighbours seeing the same problem ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Right, Engineer number 2 has been and gone and we are no further forward, Now this guy was thorough, he checked all 3 of my routers and even tried a BT home hub, the line was checked the entire way to the exchange, the exchange was checked and a couple of things reset and he can't get any higher a speed than 1mb, he was here 3 hours thats how well everything was checked. He says EE are restricting my speed.

I phoned EE who denied this and are to phone me back. So thats where we are at.
  • Gavin_DGavin_D Posts: 2,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Right, Engineer number 2 has been and gone and we are no further forward, Now this guy was thorough, he checked all 3 of my routers and even tried a BT home hub, the line was checked the entire way to the exchange, the exchange was checked and a couple of things reset and he can't get any higher a speed than 1mb, he was here 3 hours thats how well everything was checked. He says EE are restricting my speed.

I phoned EE who denied this and are to phone me back. So thats where we are at.

Its no wonder EE are the most complained about BB provider http://www.lovemoney.com/news/12418/uks-worst-broadband-provider
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your first 2 sets of router stats indicated a connection fault of some sort.

The 3rd showed a normal connection except for the Noise Margin.

Have you tried a factory reset of your router ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Earake wrote: »
    Your first 2 sets of router stats indicated a connection fault of some sort.

The 3rd showed a normal connection except for the Noise Margin.

Have you tried a factory reset of your router ?

Many times
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Many times

Not a resync or reboot but a reset.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Holding the pin in yes. EE have told me this has now been given to some network team to investigate as no one seems to know why i am getting such speeds