Options

Obsessive soap fans

soap-leasoap-lea Posts: 23,851
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Its all a bit new to me and I am deffo not one but I wondered whether other people think they are or what they thought of them in general.

I see soap stars constantly being harrassed by "fans" on twitter the same people saying please like me I love you, pls follow me, I would die for you etc etc

the fans are obsessive to others on twitter and it seems in here with comments on threads and sending inboxes to people when they don't agree

where is the line? yes they are in the public eye and being on twitter moreso but do they deserve to be harrassed ? I dont think so! follow them and see what they have to say fine but tweeting about them or too them obsessively is just plain weird.

I also find it weird how they will post on a thread but are unable to see something from a different point of view cos of their love/hatred of the chraracter/soap/storyline. You can tell who the adults are when they can and do!

sorry if this part upsets folks but is it just cos I am old, as it seems to be tweenies, teenagers and the mentally imature doing this (I am likening them to 1d fans :D)

thoughts people, though please don't discuss or name or attack specific peoples cos its breaking the forum rules! if anyone has tips on how to ignore these folk pls share.

Comments

• Options
    HarloweHarlowe Posts: 20,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You probably find a lot have underlining issues, not all but some that makes them that way, it's not excuses as such but some reasoning behind people state of mind that latching on to celebs and fiction is their way of coping in the real world.
  • Options
    Lisa_Thomas2Lisa_Thomas2 Posts: 550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not on Twitter because I am also old so I haven't seen a lot of this, but I really find it difficult to fathom some people's attachments to fictional characters. I'm far too apathetic.

Surely a soap should be nothing more than a bit of escapism, a couple of hours a week. I've no idea what it is about them that makes some people batshit insane.
  • Options
    ScrabblerScrabbler Posts: 51,313
    Forum Member
    soap-lea wrote: »
    Its all a bit new to me and I am deffo not one but I wondered whether other people think they are or what they thought of them in general.

I see soap stars constantly being harrassed by "fans" on twitter the same people saying please like me I love you, pls follow me, I would die for you etc etc

the fans are obsessive to others on twitter and it seems in here with comments on threads and sending inboxes to people when they don't agree

where is the line? yes they are in the public eye and being on twitter moreso but do they deserve to be harrassed ? I dont think so! follow them and see what they have to say fine but tweeting about them or too them obsessively is just plain weird.

I also find it weird how they will post on a thread but are unable to see something from a different point of view cos of their love/hatred of the chraracter/soap/storyline. You can tell who the adults are when they can and do!

sorry if this part upsets folks but is it just cos I am old, as it seems to be tweenies, teenagers and the mentally imature doing this (I am likening them to 1d fans :D)

thoughts people, though please don't discuss or name or attack specific peoples cos its breaking the forum rules! if anyone has tips on how to ignore these folk pls share.

I don't get when some members say they hate a character but have to bring that character up all the time, even in unrelated threads. Let it go for Christs sake!

I love Eastenders, but from afar. I did go to elstree once but that was primarily to meet up with folks from WW. It's not something I would ever do again.

Sometimes it appears that some members actively stalk some of the actors on twitter
  • Options
    Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I tweet some of the Eastenders guys but in a jokey fun way and have had some really nice interactions. However I would never be rude or aggressive. Some folk think ppl in the public eye are their property
  • Options
    Lisa_Thomas2Lisa_Thomas2 Posts: 550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Scrabbler wrote: »
    I don't get when some members say they hate a character but have to bring that character up all the time, even in unrelated threads. Let it go for Christs sake!

Thank god for that. I was starting to think it was just me who noticed this :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Harlowe wrote: »
    You probably find a lot have underlining issues, not all but some that makes them that way, it's not excuses as such but some reasoning behind people state of mind that latching on to celebs and fiction is their way of coping in the real world.
    Yes but Twitter (mostly :) ) isn't fiction.
  • Options
    HarloweHarlowe Posts: 20,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wyezed wrote: »

yes true but i mean as it soaps in the down side of social media, as it makes it much easier for people to abuse celebs etc.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wyezed wrote: »

sadly the other thing is they can't distinguish between fact and fiction.

that being said I am sure Harlowe is right about some cases but how do you excuse the normal people
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I tweet some of the Eastenders guys but in a jokey fun way and have had some really nice interactions. However I would never be rude or aggressive. Some folk think ppl in the public eye are their property

that sounds normal but I bet you don't respond to every single tweet they make with a notice me comment

tho if you do you are going way down in my estimations :D
  • Options
    valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    If celebrities don't want to be hassled by fans then they can either avoid twitter or block individuals. Live and let live.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    that sounds normal but I bet you don't respond to every single tweet they make with a notice me comment

tho if you do you are going way down in my estimations :D

No way lol. That's actually cringe. I just like putting a few jokey tweets out there or congratulating them
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scrabbler wrote: »

I love Eastenders, but from afar. I did go to elstree once but that was primarily to meet up with folks from WW. It's not something I would ever do again.

Sometimes it appears that some members actively stalk some of the actors on twitter

have learnt to love a couple of them :D just because they are great to interact with tho and because I think the hate is hiding the love :D
  • Options
    Pandora.Pandora. Posts: 21,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vald wrote: »
    If celebrities don't want to be hassled by fans then they can either avoid twitter or block individuals. Live and let live.
    A nice bit of victim blaming there. How about the crazy ones who don't know about boundaries just stay off twitter instead?
  • Options
    valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    Pandora. wrote: »
    A nice bit of victim blaming there. How about the crazy ones who don't know about boundaries just stay off twitter instead?

I'm not victim blaming. Everyone knows what twitters like and there are ways of avoiding tweets from people that bother you.
  • Options
    kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,257
    Forum Member
    Of course there are some obsessive fans. There always have been as long as 'fandom' has existed - look at the guy that shot President Reagan as a gesture of devotion to Jodie Foster? There were probably fans following actors around to performances in Shakespeare's times or even earlier! It is just that in this day and age it is much easier for them to target their heroes and anybody they percieve to be against them or their characters or romances.

Of course no actor (or writer, producer come to that) deserves such abuse. If they want to stay private they should be able to - they do not actually 'owe' their Public any more than doing a good job for what appears on screen. They don't need to stop to sign autographs, open Twitter accounts, even give general interviews if they don't wish to.

Also, as someone (Scrabbler perhaaps) has said, there are often underlying mental health or empathy issues with that kind of obsessive, anti social behaviour so it can be difficult to be too judgemental. However if it crosses a line, becomes a hate crime basically or threatening in tone to fans or stars it must not ever be tolerated. Then of course there are those that just do it because they get a kick out of it. My faith in human nature would like me to believe they are the minority though.
  • Options
    computermastercomputermaster Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's the dumbasses that think it's all really happening that are the obssesed ones, not just some random guys following the actors on twitter. I'm talking about the people who see the actors/actresses on the street and start shouting at them about their characters behaviour, as if they are actually their character and it's all really happening.

People insulting the actors are also on dodgy territory.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's the dumbasses that think it's all really happening that are the obssesed ones, not just some random guys following the actors on twitter. I'm talking about the people who see the actors/actresses on the street and start shouting at them about their characters behaviour, as if they are actually their character and it's all really happening.

I have seen that mentioned in interviews and you just think what possessed people to do it.

we live in a mad world thats for sure
  • Options
    Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    have learnt to love a couple of them :D just because they are great to interact with tho and because I think the hate is hiding the love :D

Not in my bloody case I assure you! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

I think someone told Jake Wood he should quit. He replied "Thanks for the career advice" :D
  • Options
    GlendarrochGlendarroch Posts: 20,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's a bit of an invasion of privacy to approach someone you don't know on Twitter or Facebook. It's one thing following them, but I think unless they put out a remark which is clearly addressed to all of their followers, so basically they're courting some sort of discussion (I did once reply to Duncan Bannatyne, I think - I expect he was asking for business advice:D:D;-). Otherwise it seems to me a bit like going up to someone in the street to get their autograph, when they're clearly just doing the shopping, as opposed to approaching them at a book signing or something. Anyway, knowing my luck, they'd be in a horrible mood and sling abuse at me:D

But I probably do come across as obsessive on this forum - what can I say, I'm very loyal:blush::D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's a bit of an invasion of privacy to approach someone you don't know on Twitter or Facebook. It's one thing following them, but I think unless they put out a remark which is clearly addressed to all of their followers, so basically they're courting some sort of discussion (I did once reply to Duncan Bannatyne, I think - I expect he was asking for business advice:D:D;-). Otherwise it seems to me a bit like going up to someone in the street to get their autograph, when they're clearly just doing the shopping, as opposed to approaching them at a book signing or something. Anyway, knowing my luck, they'd be in a horrible mood and sling abuse at me:D

:)

can you imagine if they did in real life what they did online, the classic post of "I'm first", running up to a celeb or actor and shouting that, you just would have a bit of self restraint and not do it in public so why do it online
  • Options
    GlendarrochGlendarroch Posts: 20,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :)

can you imagine if they did in real life what they did online, the classic post of "I'm first", running up to a celeb or actor and shouting that, you just would have a bit of self restraint and not do it in public so why do it online

BIB Seriously, have you seen people do that? Twitter and Facebook must feel like a meat market for celebs, although I'm sure some are quite good at manipulating that! I think i'd be tempted to have an account for the fans (and detractors) and a separate one for personal - and let my agent deal with the 'business' one if they could!
  • Options
    SupportSupport Posts: 70,838
    Administrator
    Discuss the soaps, not the fans.
This discussion has been closed.