Options

Kitten and Litter Tray Problem

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 443
Forum Member
So I've had my kittens for about a month now. And except for their very skittish/hishy nature for the first couple of weeks, they are perfect darlings (most the time). There is just one problem.

When we first got them we had the litter tray quite close to them 'cause they didn't venture very far. But they got braver so I moved it to the bathroom (still not that far, only a few feet). Everything was fine until one of them decided that she only wanted to pee in the tray and decided the bath was a much better place to poo.

I didn't really want to have to clean my bath everytime I wanted to shower, so I moved the tray again. This time by the back door. Again it's only a couple fo feet from where it was originally and from the bath room.

One of them is fine, uses it wherever I put it. The other still decides to use it just for peeing. And has sicne taking a liking to the corner by the door, only about 15cm away from the tray!

I've taken her to the tray multiple times to show her where it is. I've moved poo from the floor to the tray and showed her it so she knows that is where it is meant to go. I've changed litters. I've even caught her just about to use the corner and moved her to the tray and held her in place. Nothing is working.

Any idea?!

Comments

• Options
    ppaupyppaupy Posts: 2,729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    boogienow wrote: »
    So I've had my kittens for about a month now. And except for their very skittish/hishy nature for the first couple of weeks, they are perfect darlings (most the time). There is just one problem.

When we first got them we had the litter tray quite close to them 'cause they didn't venture very far. But they got braver so I moved it to the bathroom (still not that far, only a few feet). Everything was fine until one of them decided that she only wanted to pee in the tray and decided the bath was a much better place to poo.

I didn't really want to have to clean my bath everytime I wanted to shower, so I moved the tray again. This time by the back door. Again it's only a couple fo feet from where it was originally and from the bath room.

One of them is fine, uses it wherever I put it. The other still decides to use it just for peeing. And has sicne taking a liking to the corner by the door, only about 15cm away from the tray!

I've taken her to the tray multiple times to show her where it is. I've moved poo from the floor to the tray and showed her it so she knows that is where it is meant to go. I've changed litters. I've even caught her just about to use the corner and moved her to the tray and held her in place. Nothing is working.

Any idea?!

maybe have 2 litter trays?..not ideal but may help
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Move the tray to where she is going and when she is using it there move it an INCH at a time (not two feet) to where you want it.
    She may also not want to poo in the litter tray the other kitten is using so try a second tray.
    The standard formula is the number of trays should equal the number of cats plus one so that would actually be three trays.
    It's also worth experimenting with different types of tray (e.g. open, closed, deep, shallow), different litters and different locations.
  • Options
    silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have three cats and three litter trays- whilst they are not that fussy it is clear that they have favourites.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you should have 3 litter trays. Cant remember where i heard it from but its one per cat and one spare. I wouldnt keep moving them that much. they could be getting confused where they should be going. I have the same problem and one of my 18 month old cats tries to pee in the corner where a litter tray was.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 359
    Forum Member
    Some cats don't like to poo and pee in the same tray.
    General advice is one tray per cat and one extra.

Put a handful of dried food on the spot she like to poo on. Cats won't poo/pee near food.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Two trays will help and in different areas. So they have their boundaries nicely set up.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 443
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the advice!