Sophy Ridge, not good enough for Sky News

Comments

• boksboxboksbox Posts: 4,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sadly, the prime necessary qualification for employment, for any women in any reporting or presenting capacity on TV.

What surprise, your default answer, bit like Godwin's Law, always comes along in these threads
  • GillbmGillbm Posts: 225
    Forum Member
    Anyone who watches Sky News will know a blonde POLITICAL REPORTER called Sophy Ridge.

When I first saw her on TV, I wondered how she got the job. She 'ums and errs' and her voice is unnatural. She sounds really awkward. Like it's a real effort for her to get a few coherent sentences out.:rolleyes:

Hmm. So having done a little Internet searching, I see she only left university five years ago, and only a few months ago in January this year she was working on her FIRST JOB, a consumer reporter for the News of the World.

A far cry from politics. :D No wonder she sounds like she hasn't a clue what's she's talking about. Quite astonising how her second job is a political correspondent on one of this country's leading news channels.

And all this at just 25.:eek:

No wonder News International are in trouble, hiring people like her. Sophy's clearly out of her depth. She hasn't a clue what she's talking about and I find her very embarrassing.

Her best friend is the autocue. :D Dire.[/QUOTE

I've been watching and listening to her since she started and I fully agree with this comment made in 2011. I found her embarrassing then and I still do. So she went to Oxford, she still isn't articulate, she sounds extremely awkward and still her voice sounds unnatural. I'm sure she's a lovely person but I'm afraid she's not up to Sky News standard and after all this time, I doubt she ever will be.
    Forum Member
    I'm afraid to say that after all this time there has been very little improvement in Sophy's delivery. It remains embarrassing. However, I notice she has been reporting much less recently, even doing weekend shifts, reading the news.
    Thank God they brought in this heavyweight, political journalist prior to the referendum.
    Forum Member
    Has Sophy Ridge been demoted in favour of this new femal heavyweight political journalist? Haven't seen Joey Jones for a while either.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gillbm wrote: »
    Has Sophy Ridge been demoted in favour of this new femal heavyweight political journalist? Haven't seen Joey Jones for a while either.

Joey Jones left Sky when he didn't get the political editor's job, I believe he has a highly-paid job in the private sector now.
  • Bob PaisleyBob Paisley Posts: 3,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's blonde and she's pretty. That's why she got where she was. Television is such a superficial and shallow business. There are a huge number of young (mostly female) reporters who get promoted so quickly because of their looks. Sophy Ridge is just one of them.
  • roger_50roger_50 Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    To be fair, I think she has actually improved a lot.

For the most part, she seems competent enough these days. To my eyes at least.
  • Chief_WiggumChief_Wiggum Posts: 6,178
    Forum Member
    I don't think she is much good, really. Faisal Islam and John Craig are far better. Isabel Webster did well with the political reporting during the referendum too.
  • all_nightall_night Posts: 7,615
    Forum Member
    I didn't realise she'd been at Sky since 2011! She is a much better reporter than presenter so I'm hoping they leave her just to report.
  • La RhumbaLa Rhumba Posts: 11,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Duplicate post deleted, as DS was playing up.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    Joey Jones left Sky when he didn't get the political editor's job, I believe he has a highly-paid job in the private sector now.

Joey Jones now works for Theresa May at the Home Office, and will be running her Leadership campaign.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/05/09/theresa-may-prepares-ground-for-conservative-leadership-challeng/

I still miss Joey on Sky News, and agree Sophy Ridge is lightweight and unimpressive.
  • ayrshireman1ayrshireman1 Posts: 2,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why criticise Ms Rudge when Sky still have useless examples like Burley and Jeremy 'Umm' Thompson.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From what little I have seen of Ms Ridge she seems no worse than any of the others.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they'll employ Kay Burley they'll obviously have anybody.
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think she is much good, really. Faisal Islam and John Craig are far better. Isabel Webster did well with the political reporting during the referendum too.

Faisal was corpsing yesterday with Anna Botting when she asked him a "What next?" question after the umpteenth resignation and Corbyn's Momentum rally. Not really professional but perhaps an understandable reaction to the madness we're living through.

I miss his banter with Krishnan on C4. They did a special on something or other years back and they were an excellent double-act, funny and informative at the same time.
  • davies88davies88 Posts: 1,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't rate her, but it's telling she only started getting presenting roles since she concealed her moles on her face.

Just shows the integrity of the bosses at Sky.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »

I suspect she knows where the bodies are buried, I can't think of any other explanation for employing her.
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davies88 wrote: »
    I don't rate her, but it's telling she only started getting presenting roles since she concealed her moles on her face.

Just shows the integrity of the bosses at Sky.

Concealed or removed?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »
    I suspect she knows where the bodies are buried, I can't think of any other explanation for employing her.

Her face looked like she'd come back from the dead the other day, so altered by plastic surgery is she. Quite frightening.
  • differentdrumdifferentdrum Posts: 3,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's blonde and she's pretty. That's why she got where she was. Television is such a superficial and shallow business. There are a huge number of young (mostly female) reporters who get promoted so quickly because of their looks. Sophy Ridge is just one of them.

I am afraid nail hit firmly on the head.
  • coopermanyorkscoopermanyorks Posts: 21,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow,some pretty shallow comments.

What next Theresa May is not Blonde or doesn't have the leads to lead the Conservatives for the next Parliament ?
  • soupnazisoupnazi Posts: 1,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She sums up the obsession to put women on TV, regardless. She's OK as a reporter, but definitely nothing special as a presenter.
  • HaydenHayden Posts: 32,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky News need to draft somebody in to take over the current situation in Munich.
    Ridge is well out of her depth.
  • IcaraaIcaraa Posts: 6,068
    Forum Member
    I initially thought you were talking about the other blonde one based in the US, who seems pretty good actually. Amanda
  • ayrshireman1ayrshireman1 Posts: 2,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From what little I have seen of Ms Ridge she seems no worse than any of the others.

Agreed, she is perfectly fine, yet seems to annoy some here for some reason.
This discussion has been closed.