BBC 5 Live General Chit Chat

Comments

• wns_195wns_195 Posts: 13,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Phil Ander wrote: »
    It's interesting that none of you have anything to say about 5 live's coverage of national holocaust memorial day. Now why is this? You weren't listening? Or you were listening but the subject didn't fit in to your 5 live is just a Left Wing Mouthpiece agenda?

Nor is this the first time this has happened. I recall the D Day anniversary last year and the Je Suis Charlie demos this year. Silence. Though you did complain about Anna Foster asking the how does it feel question( also asked by Matt Frei on Channel 4 News).

I didn't listen to D Day on 5 Live. I watched it on BBC TV. I followed the Parish Shootings protests on the Sunday on Sky News and France 24. I presumed 5 Live would be broadcasting football. I later read that a BBC television reporter asked insensitive questions to Jews,suggesting Israel should be blamed when Islamist terrorists (not militants) kill Jews.

I have tried to follow some big events on 5 Live. The coverage of the royal wedding a few years ago was dreadful. The Iraq War coverage in 2003 was rubbish compared to international news channels, concentrating on debating whether we should be at war instead of telling us what was happening.

Al Jazeera English was the channel to watch for the Arab Spring in Egypt and Libya.

The problem with 5 Live during big events like Holocaust Memorial Day when they do try to give them decent coverage, is that they aren't as focused as the news channels because the station isn't a news channel.

On the subject of news, I think 5 Live is too focused on domestic politics in its news coverage currently. Havve they mentioned that the Syrian government and some opposition groups are meeting in Russia this week to discuss resolving the war there? What about Kosovo, Russian politicians proposing condemning West Germany's reunification of East Germany, or the French government's new website which aims to put people off joining terrorist (not militant) oorganisations? Yet they find time to talk about what a cricketer putt on Twitter or what an actor said in an interview none of us watched like those are really important news stories. It's pathetic. Remember when they had that global news programme? They should bring it back.
  • chandlerpchandlerp Posts: 4,956
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A milestone for Rachel this morning I think. At about 7:50am she tried to start the next item twice and was interrupted by NC twice after just two words both times. She said "Would you please stop interrupting me!" Finally
  • curmycurmy Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chandlerp wrote: »
    A milestone for Rachel this morning I think. At about 7:50am she tried to start the next item twice and was interrupted by NC twice after just two words both times. She said "Would you please stop interrupting me!" Finally

I heard that :D I'm beginning to wonder if NC has got some sort or Aspergers, where he really can't stop himself from behaving like this !
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,517
    Forum Member
    Very good coverage of the anniversary of Winston Churchill's funeral. At least we cannot accuse the BBC of left wing bias this time. They could have just ignored it, but Peter Allen hosted a very good tribute.

One of the interviewees did mention that some war evacuees suffered child abuse, good job Victoria wasn't doing the interview, she would have gone into overdrive, with gushing sympathy etc.
  • chinchinchinchin Posts: 125,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I still say Radio 5 Live's late night offerings are far more professional, interesting and diverse than LBC's stock right wing political late night phone ins. My only criticism with 5 Live is there is TOO MUCH sport. However I must understand the sports content is a major plus with sports fans. ;)
  • MallMall Posts: 540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It appears that tomorrow's Chelsea v Man City match is only available on Talksport, although I hope I'm in error with that statement. If it is the case what an earth is 5live up to?
  • radio4extracrapradio4extracrap Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    david1955 wrote: »
    Very good coverage of the anniversary of Winston Churchill's funeral. At least we cannot accuse the BBC of left wing bias this time. They could have just ignored it, but Peter Allen hosted a very good tribute.

One of the interviewees did mention that some war evacuees suffered child abuse, good job Victoria wasn't doing the interview, she would have gone into overdrive, with gushing sympathy etc.

And Peter did manage to get an alternative view on the great man at the right time, too.
    If only we could get similar balance at times of the many Saxe Coburg love fests.
  • Black CrowBlack Crow Posts: 619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mall wrote: »
    It appears that tomorrow's Chelsea v Man City match is only available on Talksport, although I hope I'm in error with that statement. If it is the case what an earth is 5live up to?

It's the 5.30 kick off and 5 Live don't hold the contract to cover those games, Talksport do. In the same way that Sky don't have the Saturday lunchtime games, but they have the 5.30 game.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mall wrote: »
    They don't have the rights for Premier League matches that take place at that time.

Of course if they let TalkSport have all the Premier League rights they could provide better coverage of the Football League, which doesn't receive as much coverage from commercial media despite having nearly 4 times as many teams as the Premier League.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    david1955 wrote: »

I agree, I thought Peter's coverage was especially good.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,622
    Forum Member
    Wow! Just had a rerun of the apparently lost Louis Armstrong Desert Island Discs programme on the Adeboye show. Catch it on iPlayer.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Politically correct comment of the day .. NC to teacher " So how do all your school children find it when up to 15 new children who speak no English join the school ? "

Teacher " They find it a very enriching experience " :):confused:
  • superbike999superbike999 Posts: 453
    Forum Member
    Anyone who has got fed up with the amateurish rubbish on the Phil Williams show?
    There is now a good alternative. Alan Beswick is back on a phone in from 10pm to 1am on BBC Radio Manchester and BBC Radio Lancashire. Many will remember him from the old days with the now defunct Red Rose Radio, when he was very controversial, but has no doubt mellowed a little with the PC Beeb. I've just been listening to few minutes, where a caller went off to turn her radio off because of the feedback and just disappeared. His fill in whilst she was away was excellent. Give it a listen if you've had enough of Phil's show with its' stupid quizzes.

I think that Alan's new show is on from Monday to Thursday.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alan's show should be extended acrossthe north like the old BBC late phone-ins were.
  • streaky-baconstreaky-bacon Posts: 429
    Forum Member
    Alan Beswick is back on a phone in from 10pm to 1am on BBC Radio Manchester and BBC Radio Lancashire. Many will remember him from the old days with the now defunct Red Rose Radio, when he was very controversial, but has no doubt mellowed a little with the PC Beeb.

I remember his Red Rose days well, they were excellent particularly during the first run before he got suspended. I was at high school at the time and there were always bleary eyed kids the next day at school, I can't think of any radio now that would have kids taking about it the next day. Red Rose was a proper diverse local radio station but after rebranding as Rock FM it is just generic bland music radio.
  • Lone DrinkerLone Drinker Posts: 1,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This morning's phone in is on how to boost engineering. Nothing else happen in the world yesterday then ?
  • radio4extracrapradio4extracrap Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This morning's phone in is on how to boost engineering. Nothing else happen in the world yesterday then ?

Burdon's worse than ever.
    The Ego Show was a farce. A programme devoted to the great man reading out long lists of British engineers names... One guy cam on and was raising an interesting area of fabric engineering in jeans, rucksacks and sails and in full flow - when the pratt interrupted the caller by shouting out "Tarmacadam!".
    The caller was shocked so much that Andy parsons had to explain the Ego's outburst. One could have thought the idiot had to tourettes disease.
  • edwardlondonedwardlondon Posts: 241
    Forum Member
    v helpful

will give it a go.

Phill williams really ought to be moved to local radio in smethwick.

q awful and way out of his depth...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    5 Live's race to the bottom continues... I've always been a Radio 4 listener, until 215pm when I switch over to 5 Live. Simon Mayo's show was one of the best discussion shows on radio, ever. Really, it was that good. I lamented the day he was replaced by Richard Bacon, but I soon got used to Bacon and even grew to like his show. He's nowhere near as good as Mayo, but...

...this lot they have on in the afternoons, Dan Walker and Sarah Brett, could they get any more vanilla? Brett, in particular, I find unbearable, with her constant references to whatever subject they're talking about, only in terms of showing off that she's read the press release / book or seen the film, offering absolutely zero in the way of insight or worthwhile comment. Her braying voice is almost (but not quite) as unbearable as Rachel Burden's, and the way, every few minutes, she sucks air in through her teeth so you can hear her mouthful of spittle, really gives one the dry boak. If ever someone didn't have a voice for radio it's she.
  • JanielovesyouJanielovesyou Posts: 814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dan Walker ruptured his achilles last evening playing 5 a side.
    Colin Patterson is filling in for the rest of the week. He hopes to be back Monday
    Might be a tad ambitious with that as he doesn't get operated on until tomorrow

Best wishes to him
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    craftwerc wrote: »
    5 Live's race to the bottom continues... I've always been a Radio 4 listener, until 215pm when I switch over to 5 Live. Simon Mayo's show was one of the best discussion shows on radio, ever. Really, it was that good. I lamented the day he was replaced by Richard Bacon, but I soon got used to Bacon and even grew to like his show. He's nowhere near as good as Mayo, but...

...this lot they have on in the afternoons, Dan Walker and Sarah Brett, could they get any more vanilla? Brett, in particular, I find unbearable, with her constant references to whatever subject they're talking about, only in terms of showing off that she's read the press release / book or seen the film, offering absolutely zero in the way of insight or worthwhile comment.

Must say I agree with you. Walker and Brett are incredibly lightweight, more suited to a local hospital radio than a national broadcaster.

I thought Mayo was excellent and Bacon developed well into the slot too. Walker and Brett however are a huge disappointment and I am increasingly finding other things to listen to in the afternoon.
  • edwardlondonedwardlondon Posts: 241
    Forum Member
    agree totally

brett and walker are soooooo bland.

dan is just like magnolia paint, dull dull dull.
    the personality of a paintbrush
  • Robbie01Robbie01 Posts: 10,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is anyone else finding Up All Night during the week quite boring these days? It's basically become a repeats programme at times, with many interviews and features basically being a repeat of what was broadcast during day time.

Rhod has become little more than a host who introduces these repeats, with little original material unique to the UAN broadcast itself.

I realise that this is due to cutbacks which affected UAN more than any other programme on 5 Live. However it has made the programme rather dull as a result. Rhod may as well not be there at times as he has little input into quite a large segment of the programme.
  • superbike999superbike999 Posts: 453
    Forum Member
    Robbie01 wrote: »
    Is anyone else finding Up All Night during the week quite boring these days? It's basically become a repeats programme at times, with many interviews and features basically being a repeat of what was broadcast during day time.

Rhod has become little more than a host who introduces these repeats, with little original material unique to the UAN broadcast itself.

I realise that this is due to cutbacks which affected UAN more than any other programme on 5 Live. However it has made the programme rather dull as a result. Rhod may as well not be there at times as he has little input into quite a large segment of the programme.

The good thing about Rhod is that he is not Adebayo
  • Lone DrinkerLone Drinker Posts: 1,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    craftwerc wrote: »

...this lot they have on in the afternoons, Dan Walker and Sarah Brett, could they get any more vanilla? Brett, in particular, I find unbearable, with her constant references to whatever subject they're talking about, only in terms of showing off that she's read the press release / book or seen the film, offering absolutely zero in the way of insight or worthwhile comment. Her braying voice is almost (but not quite) as unbearable as Rachel Burden's, and the way, every few minutes, she sucks air in through her teeth so you can hear her mouthful of spittle, really gives one the dry boak. If ever someone didn't have a voice for radio it's she.

The teeth sucking vacuity takes me back to the days of Sybil Ruscoe. She somehow lasted 5 years before thinking the grass was greener elsewhere. Please don't let this void last as long.
This discussion has been closed.