My Big Fat Gypsy Fortune - Channel 4 9pm now!

123457»

Comments

• nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hawking should be illegal.

In my hometown, gypsies are called Hawkers.
  • oldhagoldhag Posts: 2,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glowbot wrote: »
    Enlighten me then.

A well known Romany who lives near me has four sons and a daughter. Three of his sons live on his site with their wives and kids. ( the plot btw was refused planning consent for ONE mobile home many times over a thirty year period. As soon as he bought it he got permission for FIVE statics and five tourers).

He then bought two neighbouring sites (which also had the refusal of consent story) . One of these was for his married daughter and husband, plus four of his family.

The other was for his brother and four of his family. As you know it is one of the rules of Gypsy culture that the sons stay with their family after marriage. These sons are brought up to 'work' in the gypsy ways.

His youngest son was the best looking, he favoured a Rock god! He was also a brilliant horse rider. Not doing the traditional bareback, flat out trot on a black and white cob. But he bought real, quality horses and could have made them knit fog if he'd been given the chance. He had the talent to be an international competitor.

Unfortunately for him, it became obvious that he was gay! He was immediately sent away into the world to fend for himself - not easy when you've no money or education. He was working as a taxi driver last time I heard.

I know he speaks to his mother on the phone occasionally. But apart from that he is not only dead to the rest of his family but they act as if he was never born.

Glowbot, you could also read 'Gypsy Boy' and 'Gypsy Boy on the Run' if this part of your culture has passed you by.
  • GlowbotGlowbot Posts: 14,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    oldhag wrote: »
    A well known Romany who lives near me has four sons and a daughter. Three of his sons live on his site with their wives and kids. ( the plot btw was refused planning consent for ONE mobile home many times over a thirty year period. As soon as he bought it he got permission for FIVE statics and five tourers).

He then bought two neighbouring sites (which also had the refusal of consent story) . One of these was for his married daughter and husband, plus four of his family.

The other was for his brother and four of his family. As you know it is one of the rules of Gypsy culture that the sons stay with their family after marriage. These sons are brought up to 'work' in the gypsy ways.

His youngest son was the best looking, he favoured a Rock god! He was also a brilliant horse rider. Not doing the traditional bareback, flat out trot on a black and white cob. But he bought real, quality horses and could have made them knit fog if he'd been given the chance. He had the talent to be an international competitor.

Unfortunately for him, it became obvious that he was gay! He was immediately sent away into the world to fend for himself - not easy when you've no money or education. He was working as a taxi driver last time I heard.

I know he speaks to his mother on the phone occasionally. But apart from that he is not only dead to the rest of his family but they act as if he was never born.

Glowbot, you could also read 'Gypsy Boy' and 'Gypsy Boy on the Run' if this part of your culture has passed you by.

It hasn't passed me by i assure you!
    and you know you can't judge an entire culture by a few people, people are always individuals first. I know some where this is not the case. My mum and dad know I have a boyfriend and I still go over for Sunday dinner and stuff I always did, although we are slightly removed from serious Romany culture by a generation my dad is still highly respected.

The book which you list is about a child who was the victim of domestic abuse long before he was known to be gay, and he now has some contact with his family. Much the same as could happen in any culture.

My point was really you don't know George is gay and staying in the closet because its safer, that's very presumptuous on several fronts. If he is, and some people can tell I've heard, it might just be because he hasn't really thought about it as it was with me, it's not something that's supposed to happen. That doesn't mean he is a coward.

Thanks for the clarification though, at least you were basing it on real life uh, gossip.
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,544
    Forum Member
    I sincerely hope they didn't and the little chap finds a better home. I loathe the way they tether their dogs on bits of rope..it's appalling.

I was just watching this and had to turn it off because of the cruelty :mad:

Nothing will change my mind about these ****'s. Seen to much in my life. :mad::mad:
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Awww the Dad and Daughter scenes were nice in that episode. It was quite amusing seeing all the bridesmaids sat around the dance floor with their huge dresses.