Tesco Finest range

Bernard_Doyle1Bernard_Doyle1 Posts: 67
Forum Member
Just had probably the best Lancashire Hot Pot I've ever tasted from Tescos Finest range. Big chunks of lamb, loads of carrots and potatoes and a lovely rich gravy. Highly recommend it.

Comments

• coopermanyorkscoopermanyorks Posts: 21,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe you were simply "Hungry" ?
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Their new York cheese cake is rather yummy too :D
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,564
    Forum Member
    Maybe you were simply "Hungry" ?

Or perhaps it was the best hot pot they've ever tasted eh?
  • TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just had probably the best Lancashire Hot Pot I've ever tasted from Tescos Finest range. Big chunks of lamb, loads of carrots and potatoes and a lovely rich gravy. Highly recommend it.

You sure it was lamb? :o:D:p
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I'm not a food snob but i'd be very surprised if a homemade or one from a half decent recipe couldn't top a supermarket version, even if it is in the Finest range.

Btw, where about was it in the store? I had a look earlier and couldn't find it. I wouldn't mind giving it a try to test my suspicions :p

Co-incidentally though last week I had the sous vide slow cooked pig cheeks in chianti sauce.
    It was very nice. I wasn't expecting the fennel flavours. I'm going to make the rest in to crispy shredded pork with a chow mein 5 spice sauce.
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Depends on your taste and how good a cook you are though, this may well be best the OP has had and saying a home cooked one would be better well not the same thing at all.
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    I'm not a food snob but i'd be very surprised if a homemade or one from a half decent recipe couldn't top a supermarket version, even if it is in the Finest range.
    I meant to say restaurant
  • China GirlChina Girl Posts: 2,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had a Finest spaghetti Bolognese, it was marked down to half price as it was on the use by date, It was delicious, well worth trying if on offer.
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,908
    Forum Member
    I've never been impressed by Tesco finest.

It's trying to be M&S and doesn't cut it.
  • TiwttmosTiwttmos Posts: 2,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Their Finest Cornish Butter Mashed Potatoes are really tasty!
  • Isambard BrunelIsambard Brunel Posts: 6,598
    Forum Member
    Lancashire Hot Pot...
    You sure it was lamb? :o:D:p

I believe it was Richard III, last monarch of the House of Lancashire, who ironically didn't say, "My horse, my horse, my kingdom from a horse".

I used to like their Finest Range rolled puff pastry, but for some reason they stopped doing it, despite still doing the shortcrust and sweet shortcrust. Their normal puff pastry is no better than Aldi's, but costs more.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Their Finest Coleslaw is awesome too.
  • Jambo_cJambo_c Posts: 4,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Their Finest crisps are pretty good. Annoyingly they seem to only do some flavours for a few weeks as "limited editions" and then get rid of them. They did some Chorizo and Jalapeno ones which were lovely.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,564
    Forum Member
    I don't doubt it was the best hotpot they've ever had. Due to the price of lamb it's not something I tend to make and I have never eaten it in a restaurant. The best Moussaka i've ever had was from Sainsburys and I've been to Greece more than 10 times.
  • tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We dont shop in Tesco anymore but when we did (and when we buy stuff in Sainsburys now), my OH is one of those that falls for the 'finest' type products so he would always come back with something from that range.

But, I never felt that the finest was any better than the normal products and in some cases they ruined it completely. I seem to recall a cauliflower cheese dish (cant remember where from) but the posh version and it was ruined by the sauce, I think it had creme fraiche in it or something to make it different.

I feel it was a real disappointment as we dont really eat ready meals so when we do, you expect it to be a break from your own cooking and therefore a treat but the taste is never any good.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tiwttmos wrote: »
    Their Finest Cornish Butter Mashed Potatoes are really tasty!

I do like some of the Finest range (though there are good and bad just like every other range - there is good and bad in the Value range too) but I think buying Finest ready mashed spuds is going a bit too far.
  • evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    Their Finest baby plum toms 250g are nice, well, they were nice when they were £1, but yesterday they'd gone up to £1.50. That's what I call a price rise, 50%, way to go Tesco...and goodbye from me not that they're interested anyway.
  • PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I buy one dish from the Tesco Finest range and its devine. Its a beef hotpot type thing (I cant remember the proper name of it). Its an oval dish with slow cooked beef, onions, rich gravy etc with cubed potatoes on the top. The amount of beef in this little dish is incredible. Massive chunks that melt in your mouth. I serve it in a large Yorkshire pudding.

It has become one of our favourites, but it isn't cheap. I tend to stock up when they are on offer.
    Forum Member
    Porcupine wrote: »
    It has become one of our favourites, but it isn't cheap. I tend to stock up when they are on offer.
    Many of those Finest Range meals seem to be £6 which is quite steep.
    I think most are meant to serve 2 but some don't look like they would unless you added a side. Basically they want to to buy a main and a side and I think a dessert in a meal deal offer.
  • nobabydaddynobabydaddy Posts: 2,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A recent convert from Asda to Tesco. Wish I changed earlier. The crappy Extra Special Moussaka (endorsed by Leith School of Food and Wine) is not a patch on Tesco's Finest version.
  • cbe21okcbe21ok Posts: 3,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Many of those Finest Range meals seem to be £6 which is quite steep.
    I think most are meant to serve 2 but some don't look like they would unless you added a side. Basically they want to to buy a main and a side and I think a dessert in a meal deal offer.

Gateshead Tesco do a Finest £10 deal, side, main and desert for two and a bottle of wine. Not had one myself but quite often have a look as they look pretty decent value especially as the bottle of wine is supposed to be £6.99 on its own.
  • newda898newda898 Posts: 5,464
    Forum Member
    I'm sure for most of these dishes they just make the packaging in dark colours, and make the sauce richer.

And whack a £5 price tag on it.
  • Madridista23Madridista23 Posts: 9,422
    Forum Member
    Have to agree this is awesome... though i usually pad it out with more sliced potatoes as there are not enough in it!
    orangebird wrote: »
    Their Finest Coleslaw is awesome too.
    Most definitely the best Coleslaw I've ever had.
    Jambo_c wrote: »
    Their Finest crisps are pretty good. Annoyingly they seem to only do some flavours for a few weeks as "limited editions" and then get rid of them. They did some Chorizo and Jalapeno ones which were lovely.
    They used to do a Mature Cheddar with Caramelised Onion flavour. Don't know if they still do but they were scrumptious!! :cool:
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cbe21ok wrote: »
    Gateshead Tesco do a Finest £10 deal, side, main and desert for two and a bottle of wine. Not had one myself but quite often have a look as they look pretty decent value especially as the bottle of wine is supposed to be £6.99 on its own.

Those "dinner for two" deals make a great meal for one. Probably a little too small for two people.
  • PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I will look out for that, sounds yum.
    LostFool wrote: »
    Those "dinner for two" deals make a great meal for one. Probably a little too small for two people.

I agree. Our of desperation one evening after a very long and busy day we popped into Tesco for a 'meal deal'. There wasn't much left but the main meal we chose was a cottage pie with a side of green veggies. I'm not kidding, we had about 4 mouthfuls each. It was really, really tiny.

For dessert we chose a sherry trifle which really was divine and very boozy, but tiny. I could easily have eaten the whole lot myself !! Within the hour I was searching the cupboards for a snackeral.