Options

Harry Hill, has he had his day!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,306
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Watched him in Professor Branestawn, he was the weakest link, just terrible, and with the failure of his film and London show, like a lot of past comedians, I think he had his day. I saw him live a few years ago as well, and was so bored!

He will soon join the group of forgotten Comedians.

Comments

• Options
    Aidan11Aidan11 Posts: 539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good stand up comedian a few years ago. TV Burp was brilliant but he seems to have struggled with other projects. I'd hate to see him disappear from our screens though.
  • Options
    Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    His film was a masterpiece. I've been on the sherry already.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    His film was a masterpiece. I've been on the sherry already.

I watched about 20mins of it! Uggggg
  • Options
    ohglobbitsohglobbits Posts: 4,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He was good in Professor Branestawn. His commentary is the only reason to watch You've Been Framed. Never liked TV Burp tho.
  • Options
    snafu65snafu65 Posts: 18,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He never had his day in my opinion, never understood why he's so popular.
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 23,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps he should return to Channel 4.
  • Options
    RaferRafer Posts: 14,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's very good live. I get the impression that he isn't much of an actor. But then why would he be?
  • Options
    niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found him very funny live, but apart from TV Burp and YBF, I don't think he ever had mass appeal. I think he was very lucky to make it big, but now maybe he needs to go back to his roots and focus on a niche audience that gets his humour?
  • Options
    mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    His Channel 4 series was hilarious "the parades off!"
  • Options
    jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mike65 wrote: »
    His Channel 4 series was hilarious "the parades off!"

Make haste, for it starts in but half a minute!

I loved his Channel 4 stuff, TV Burp not as much.
  • Options
    fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I quite liked Professor Branestawn it was funny when all the photos came to life and they saying the same thing over and over bit like in harry potter but they don't talk in there and not walk around LOL.
  • Options
    GrannyGruntbuckGrannyGruntbuck Posts: 3,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apart from 'TV Burp', everything he has done has been terrible.

I have never found him to be the slightest bit funny.

Professor Branestawn had potential, but definitely made it worse.
  • Options
    stv viewerstv viewer Posts: 17,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm quite surprised Harry and ITV haven't done a Christmas Special of TV Burp which could be an hour episode that could air at Christmas and be a review of the whole years TV.
  • Options
    BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,553
    Forum Member
    He is the new presenter of Stars In Their Eye's by the look of the trailer.
  • Options
    ian_jopsonian_jopson Posts: 551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never have been a fan of Harry, but prepared to watch Professor Branestawm. Unfortunately MrsJ and I couldn't understand why this programme was on in the evening rather than at a time youngsters could see it, as it seemed clearly aimed at a junior age group. Definitely had that 'kiddies low-budget' feel, in spite of the stellar cast. Sorry.
  • Options
    sausagesandwichsausagesandwich Posts: 2,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seen him at my local comedy club, working a relatively small audience, such a funny man. Not so easy to convey on TV perhaps.
  • Options
    Gusto BruntGusto Brunt Posts: 12,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ohglobbits wrote: »
    He was good in Professor Branestawn. His commentary is the only reason to watch You've Been Framed. Never liked TV Burp tho.

Oh come off it. That role wasn't exactly challenging.

Anyone could play that part. All you need is a stuck on beard and some weird clothes, and speak in a doddery manner.:D

I could do it in my sleep.:D:o

It was the same with all the other parts in Branestawn. Easily played. The only one who showed any acting ability was the little girl.
  • Options
    MissCharleyPMissCharleyP Posts: 1,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved TV Burp and enjoyed watching the repeats on Gold recently. His style was much the same as Victoria Wood, noticing little quirks and daft things that most wouldn't think of. However, in it's later series it kind of lost it's way - focused too much on 'Wagbo', 'Heather' and other created characters, sometimes so much that there was hardly any TV on it!
    I did want to go and see 'I can't sing' and was surprised it closed so early. I'd love to see the return of 'Burp' - as long as it was the format of the old series!
  • Options
    djfunnymandjfunnyman Posts: 12,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    snafu65 wrote: »
    He never had his day in my opinion, never understood why he's so popular.

Agreed. I have never been a fan, TV Burp just isn't my style of humour
  • Options
    SaigoSaigo Posts: 7,893
    Forum Member
    Is this a question?
  • Options
    Maisymoo82Maisymoo82 Posts: 1,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like Harry Hills commentary on YBF and loved TV Burp, but don't get him in anything else. I downloaded the Harry Hill movie the other day and lasted all of 10 minutes before turning it off...it was just stupid!
  • Options
    Galaxy266Galaxy266 Posts: 7,049
    Forum Member
    He was good doing TV Burp. I think they should bring it back.

Could always go back to being a Doctor if his comedy work dries up!
  • Options
    AmusedmooseAmusedmoose Posts: 1,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think Harry Hill has had his day at all! Prepare for an essay:D

Honestly I think all people ever think of with Harry is that he was a one trick pony with TV Burp and now he's killed the show off when ITV wanted more and he's got nothing left to offer. Honestly this opinion couldn't be further from the truth!

Firstly anyone who has only ever watched TV Burp needs to watch 'The Harry Hill Show', his long forgotten, hard to find cult classic that was a million times better than TV Burp was even in it's best years. I was hopeful when he did the reunion in 2012 that maybe the show would finally get the recognition it deserves, sadly not. But if anyone thinks TV Burp is definitive Harry Hill, then they're wrong it's this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pndATyoLEDU

People who moan about him finishing TV burp need to realise that although great the show went on for 11 years! That is probably double the lifespan of most UK TV shows. I remember so clearly watching TV Burp when they stuck it on at about half four on a Saturday afternoon in the early 2000s. The first series ran in a graveyard slot of about half ten, most people seem to be under the illusion it ran from 2007 or so.

From the moment I heard about Professor Branestawm I knew it was going to be brilliant (David Mitchell & Harry Hill how could it not be:D) and I think it was. Harry Hill didn't over play it which was important, you almost forget it is Harry. I think it will continue as a series. It will be interesting to see how Stars in Their Eyes goes but I really think a series of Prof Branestawm, maybe Saturday evenings in a kind of Doctor Who slot, is the future.
  • Options
    Aidan11Aidan11 Posts: 539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Harry is a clean comedian and maybe that's why he isn't popular.

He'd probably get loads of work if he said f___ a lot.
  • Options
    Fixit AgainFixit Again Posts: 1,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's got a sharp brain and a natural wit, he'll be OK. Light-hearted mickey taking is what he does best, there's loads of potential out there for that.