Options

Paris attacks: Pope Francis says freedom of speech has limits

Demonia90Demonia90 Posts: 195
Forum Member
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-30835625
Pope Francis has defended freedom of expression following last week's attack on French satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo - but also stressed its limits.

The pontiff said religions had to be treated with respect, so that people's faiths were not insulted or ridiculed.

To illustrate his point, he told journalists that his assistant could expect a punch if he cursed his mother.

The remarks came as funerals were held for four people killed in the attack by militant Islamists.

Friends and family paid last respects to cartoonists Bernard Verlhac, known as Tignous, and Georges Wolinski, as well as columnist Elsa Cayat and policeman Franck Brinsolaro.

Eight magazine staff, a visitor to the magazine, a caretaker and two policemen died in the attack. A policewoman and four people at a kosher supermarket died in separate attacks.

Comments

• Options
    Net NutNet Nut Posts: 10,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "The pontiff said religions had to be treated with respect, so that people's faiths were not insulted or ridiculed."

"To illustrate his point, he told journalists that his assistant could expect a punch if he cursed his mother."

Just another rich dictator trying to tell ordinary people what to do?

The difference is his mother is not an ideology that seeks to govern what people are and not allowed to do?
  • Options
    HillmanImpHillmanImp Posts: 2,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Net Nut wrote: »
    "The pontiff said religions had to be treated with respect, so that people's faiths were not insulted or ridiculed."

"To illustrate his point, he told journalists that his assistant could expect a punch if he cursed his mother."

Just another rich dictator trying to tell ordinary people what to do?

The difference is his mother is not an ideology that seeks to govern what people are and not allowed to do?

I do not think you should put mothers on pedestals.
    In my view, you should tell your mother what was said, she then can go to the chap or chappette and ask for an explanation . If the explanation is not good enough then your mother, like any one else, will write the other person off as a "fool".
    Insults have no meaning unless you let them.
    You have the choice.
  • Options
    anndra_wanndra_w Posts: 6,557
    Forum Member
    I was brought up Christian and although I am no longer a practising Christian or believer I am still deeply uncomfortable when I hear people talking in an irreverent way about Jesus. As much as I believe in free speech I think cartoons of Allah are deliberately provocative and think that they must be offensive to the majority of Muslims. With freedom of speech comes responsibility and I don't think it's in good taste for non Muslims to be drawing pictures of Mohammed or Allah when Muslims wouldn't do that themselves. It will cause offence and why go out of your way to upset ordinary, moderate Muslims who will be hurt by these images? Is that what free speech is all about?
  • Options
    BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is thread already, on the first page as well.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2041254
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    'The pontiff said religions had to be treated with respect, so that people's faiths were not insulted or ridiculed'.

They need to earn it first.