We "can't" deport convicted bomb fundraiser

radio4extracrapradio4extracrap Posts: 2,933
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Because of the HRA. Grow a pair - government.

Comments

• crystalladcrystallad Posts: 3,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another reason to vote UKIP.
    How many more reasons do people need !
  • SurrenderBillSurrenderBill Posts: 19,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    crystallad wrote: »

It would be a nice start if there were more reasons to vote UKIP than there are reasons not to vote UKIP, not that we need another debate on that.
  • smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member

Are you going to post a link to a reputable source so we know what you are talking about?
  • radio4extracrapradio4extracrap Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What has Ukip got to do with chucking out a convicted supporter of terrorism?
    I would have thought everyone would be in favour of that...Obviously not.
  • jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,566
    Forum Member

Don't the Tories also want to scrap the HRA?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you going to post a link to a reputable source so we know what you are talking about?

Doh! NATIONAL radio and TV
  • BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't believe you.
    Forum Member
    Wasn't talked about on 5Live last night or this morning, so a random comment it was on TV doesn't help me find any details about it. Didn't notice it in Indy app or BBC website either. Are you sure it's not a Daily Mail special or a figment of your imagination?
  • gummy mummygummy mummy Posts: 26,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Could it be this, or is it a completely different story ?
    Foreign fraudster claims he can't be kicked out of Britain because he has PILES:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2916243/Foreign-fraudster-claims-t-kicked-Britain-PILES-Criminal-said-unfit-fly-country-second-attempt-deport-failed.html
  • Doctor_WibbleDoctor_Wibble Posts: 26,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do sort of agree, but... getting rid of the HRA won't make any difference without a lot of other things happening as well, we would still need to get out of any other declarations of human rights and/or treaties and/or whatever before we can kick people out at will and I don't think it's doing anyone any favours when politicians of all varieties put this forward as the simple solution.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wasn't talked about on 5Live last night or this morning, so a random comment it was on TV doesn't help me find any details about it. Didn't notice it in Indy app or BBC website either. Are you sure it's not a Daily Mail special or a figment of your imagination?

Five Live is pony. Was once the cat's whiskers.
    LBC and Sky.
    Forum Member
    Five Live is pony. Was once the cat's whiskers.
    LBC and Sky.
    In other words, you don't have a link or any details, so everyone has to rely on your OP for the full facts of the situation. Unless you can come up with anything, I will just assume that this is another of your rabble rousing anti-immigration rants.
  • JT2060JT2060 Posts: 5,370
    Forum Member
    In other words, you don't have a link or any details, so everyone has to rely on your OP for the full facts of the situation. Unless you can come up with anything, I will just assume that this is another of your rabble rousing anti-immigration rants.

It is this man.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2915343/The-terror-leader-links-Paris-extremists-t-kick-Illegal-immigrant-Algeria-jailed-Britain-right-family-life.html
  • andyknandykn Posts: 66,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JT2060 wrote: »

Can't be him: "A source told The Telegraph: 'We are in the process of removing Meziane.'"
    Forum Member
    andykn wrote: »
    Can't be him: "A source told The Telegraph: 'We are in the process of removing Meziane.'"

That is the point - we cannot because of the HRA.
    Forum Member

Looks as though it could happen under the Deportation With Assurances agreement with Algeria.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not so. A kind fellow DSer has obliged. No doubt you won't retract your accusation.
  • AftershowAftershow Posts: 10,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That's not what the Home Office source says.
    Forum Member
    Aftershow wrote: »
    That's not what the Home Office source says.

Don't understand why they can't comment officially. What's with this nonsense about not commenting on individual cases?
  • AftershowAftershow Posts: 10,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jjwales wrote: »
    Don't understand why they can't comment officially. What's with this nonsense about not commenting on individual cases?

I'd presume that they don't want to be seen as prejudicing the proceedings (although it's hard to judge exactly where things are at, given the typically scant detail provided by the Mail).
  • deptfordbakerdeptfordbaker Posts: 22,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do sort of agree, but... getting rid of the HRA won't make any difference without a lot of other things happening as well, we would still need to get out of any other declarations of human rights and/or treaties and/or whatever before we can kick people out at will and I don't think it's doing anyone any favours when politicians of all varieties put this forward as the simple solution.

The HRA is an act of parliament i.e. the law. The other declarations are just agreements. If there is no act of parliament it's not the law. Case law can be easily overridden by parliament.

Without the HRA, the Home secretary could deport any foreign criminal or terrorist she likes, without any penalty to her, no matter what the human rights considerations are.

The people keeping foreign criminals and terrorist from being deported are therefore the Labour Party and the Liberal democrats.

If people are unhappy with being taken for fools by these foreigners, they should blame Tony Blair, Ed Miliband and Nick Clegg, not Theresa May.
    Forum Member
    jjwales wrote: »
    Looks as though it could happen under the Deportation With Assurances agreement with Algeria.

One of the mans lawyers was on LBC this morning saying that despite Algerias promises of non torture, they needed more than just a promise, they needed a 'proven promise'.

How weak have we become?
    Forum Member
    One of the mans lawyers was on LBC this morning saying that despite Algerias promises of non torture, they needed more than just a promise, they needed a 'proven promise'.

How weak have we become?

Well, you'd expect his lawyers to say something like that. They don't have the final word.
    Forum Member
    The HRA is an act of parliament i.e. the law. The other declarations are just agreements. If there is no act of parliament it's not the law. Case law can be easily overridden by parliament.

Without the HRA, the Home secretary could deport any foreign criminal or terrorist she likes, without any penalty to her, no matter what the human rights considerations are.

The people keeping foreign criminals and terrorist from being deported are therefore the Labour Party and the Liberal democrats.

If people are unhappy with being taken for fools by these foreigners, they should blame Tony Blair not Theresa May.

Which is why we cannot do anything. Cameron wanted rid, but had to keep the HRA because of Clegg.

I do hope that when the next atrocity hits us, that Clegg is fully grilled on iy.
    Forum Member
    Which is why we cannot do anything. Cameron wanted rid, but had to keep the HRA because of Clegg.

I do hope that when the next atrocity hits us, that Clegg is fully grilled on iy.

Without the HRA, wouldn't we still be subject to the ECHR? I doubt it would make much difference.