Options

Halle Berry: Nahla is black

user1234567user1234567 Posts: 12,378
Forum Member
✭✭
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1354618/Halle-Berry-Gabriel-Aubrys-custody-battle-I-feel-Nahlas-black.html

Halle herself has a white mother and Nahla has a white father and 50/50 mother. Surely this would make her 3/4 white and 1/4 black. To be honest, I don't really care and Nahla can choose to identify herself however she wants when she's old enough give a crap but I get the feeling that Halle is only making an issue of this now to get at Gabriel, which is pathetic. I used to like Halle but this stuff lately is making her look really petty.

Comments

• Options
    di60di60 Posts: 5,432
    Forum Member
    She says: 'I identify as a black woman, but I've always had to embrace my mother and the white side of who I am, too.

'By choosing, I've often [wondered]: "Well, would that make her feel like I'm invalidating her by choosing to identify more with the black side of myself?"'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1354618/Halle-Berry-Gabriel-Aubrys-custody-battle-I-feel-Nahlas-black.html#ixzz1DK9Ilqc7

she makes it sound like a fricking chore....... she can say what she likes, but the fact is, she is mixed race and her child is predominately white.

Seems to me, she is trying to prove something to the black community via 'Ebony' :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How does she differentiate between her white side and her black side? She had to embrace her mother? 'I want black people to know I haven't abandoned them'??

She references the one-drop theory too, one drop of black makes you black. I heard of that, but I thought it was an old white racist classification that had been stamped out?

She sounds like she's a mess. Little Nahla had better not start trying to embrace her white side:eek:
  • Options
    Button62Button62 Posts: 8,463
    Forum Member
    This woman gets right on my pipe.

Her histrionics at the Oscars several years ago when she was banging on about how it was for "every woman of colour " who had a dream ...... she won because she was the best, not because she was black.

She has a beautiful daughter, the only one who cares what colour she is seems to be her mother.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate Halle, but I agree with her that her child will be considered black. Most people who are black/white in the US are considered black (Obama, Halle, etc.) - unless they look pretty close to white, which Nahla does not, imo. People seem to be identified more by their phenotype than their genotype in this country.
    Her histrionics at the Oscars several years ago when she was banging on about how it was for "every woman of colour " who had a dream ...... she won because she was the best, not because she was black.

Halle did NOT give the best performance. Her win was politically motivated. She won because the Academy wanted to award black actors that night, period.
  • Options
    BaffrobesBaffrobes Posts: 3,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She should marry Ali G, they would make a great couple.
    Spike Lee could do the wedding video.
  • Options
    j24j24 Posts: 3,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nahla has the same parentage as me. My mother is white my father has a father from the west indies and an english white mother. I consider myself mixed race as which surely Nahla is?
    And to be honest in this day and age should it really matter what your heritage is? Surely making a big fuss about who is black and who isn't actually makes a racial divide?
  • Options
    Mrs CMrs C Posts: 1,533
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw her on Oprah a little while back and she was gushing about her boyfriend saying how he was the one and so on..and now she's killing him in the press.
    I don't kow what went on behind closed doors (and don't care!) but maybe Halle should shut up and be a mum.
    Doesn't matter what colour Nahla is - she has two parents and both will have a role to play in her future.
    And IMHO - Nahla is mixed race..not more black than white..I never got how Halle was banging the race card and considers herself a black woman..she's as much white as black! (it's not racist it's Maths!)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why all the drama from her all of a sudden. I used to think she was a classy woman, but this dragging your break up and war of words through the press.

However, just to be the devils advocate, can you imagine if she came out and announced her child was 'white', surely that would be jumped on as 'racist', because she said black its fine though. I personally don't see how the childs ethnic backround matters, she is a beautiful little girl who is getting pulled into an argument between her mother and father and quite frankly they should know better!!
  • Options
    phil solophil solo Posts: 9,669
    Forum Member
    j24 wrote: »
    Nahla has the same parentage as me. My mother is white my father has a father from the west indies and an english white mother. I consider myself mixed race as which surely Nahla is?
    And to be honest in this day and age should it really matter what your heritage is? Surely making a big fuss about who is black and who isn't actually makes a racial divide?

In America, persons of mixed heritage rarely, as far as I can tell, use the term. The stratified and often caustic politics of race in USA virtually requires you to claim your heritage as Black, Hispanic, Korean etc. even if there are generations of white parentage in your genetic history.
  • Options
    j4Rosej4Rose Posts: 5,482
    Forum Member
    The "one drop rule" is terribly racist and very out of date now. What she said is kind of horrible and sad :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    di60 wrote: »
    She says: 'I identify as a black woman, but I've always had to embrace my mother and the white side of who I am, too.

'By choosing, I've often [wondered]: "Well, would that make her feel like I'm invalidating her by choosing to identify more with the black side of myself?"'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1354618/Halle-Berry-Gabriel-Aubrys-custody-battle-I-feel-Nahlas-black.html#ixzz1DK9Ilqc7

she makes it sound like a fricking chore....... she can say what she likes, but the fact is, she is mixed race and her child is predominately white.

Seems to me, she is trying to prove something to the black community via 'Ebony' :confused:

The "black community" (groan) doesn't care. Seriously, black people have a lot of other shit to concern ourselves with and Halle Berry's child is waaaay down on the list.

I have mixed race kids and they can call themselves what they want. If they identify as black, fine. If they feel white, fine, if it's neither, fine.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As a half white half black person, I have always been referred to as black. In my experience no white person has ever said to me "you're mixed race" even though I am very light brown and have green eyes. As a mixed race person you are black in the eyes of white people so I think its hypocritical for people to criticise Halle Berry for saying Nahla is black. My cousin who practically looks white is also referred to as black. That's just the way it goes. As a kid I did wonder if I was different from black people, I didn't really know where I fit in, but it was soon made very clear to me that only black people really care about the mixed race thing, in the eyes of white people, if you've got a drop of black in you, you're black. End of. I just accept that.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Halle did say this, in my opinion, she's nowhere near black but more mixed race. I definitely wouldn't class/call her black, but mixed race. Her daughter's even more mixed race in my opinion. She can think she's black if she wants I suppose, but I don't see it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a half white half black person, I have always been referred to as black. In my experience no white person has ever said to me "you're mixed race" even though I am very light brown and have green eyes. As a mixed race person you are black in the eyes of white people so I think its hypocritical for people to criticise Halle Berry for saying Nahla is black. My cousin who practically looks white is also referred to as black. That's just the way it goes. As a kid I did wonder if I was different from black people, I didn't really know where I fit in, but it was soon made very clear to me that only black people really care about the mixed race thing, in the eyes of white people, if you've got a drop of black in you, you're black. End of. I just accept that.

But Halle Berry is mixed race herself. So Nahla is the daughter of a white man and a mixed-race woman.

I find her comments tasteless anyway, if a white person had made them they would have been point-blank accused of racism. It also seems like she's trying to say Nahla is hers, not Aubry's.
  • Options
    titfortattitfortat Posts: 9,126
    Forum Member
    American's and the race issue. I swear to god they need to get over it. Im so please to be British and live in a country were most smart and educated people just dont give crap.
    In America its still some what of an issue to see a mixed race couple walking down the road together wtf is that all about. Halle Berry has the right to call her daughter what ever she wants, But at the end of the day the child id Mixed race and should be proud to be both white and black.
  • Options
    johartukjohartuk Posts: 11,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Halle really needs to shut up. She's caught a dose of 'Katie Price-itis' (symptoms include publically slagging off your ex and spouting rubbish).

There's nothing to be ashamed of in being mixed race and the sooner the likes of Halle Berry realise this, the better.
  • Options
    j4Rosej4Rose Posts: 5,482
    Forum Member

How do you define "one drop"? That would probably make the whole world black if you go far enough back.
  • Options
    haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    j4Rose wrote: »
    How do you define "one drop"? That would probably make the whole world black if you go far enough back.

That's a good point, most of us have no idea about our ancestors back further than a couple of generations.

I think the defining yourself by race thing seems very out of date and unnecessary. I find myself getting annoyed when asked my ethnicity on forms. Why?

Let's hope that in the future our children don't feel they have to label themselves.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 405
    Forum Member
    I've always felt really sorry for Halle Berrys mum after her Oscar speech as her Mum must have felt excluded by that. I never,ever answer the ethnicity questions on forms and always select the Declined to Say option. I am not a race, religion or colour - I'm just me. Halle should be counting her blessings and working towards a secure and happy future for her beautiful little girl. She obviously has no idea how lucky she is.
  • Options
    SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We don't know what has gone on between Halle and her daughter's father, but clearly there seems to be some bad blood.

He is still her father and their daughter has the right to embrace both sides of her family without feeling that she has to 'choose' between being black or white.

Halle just seems a little hung up on the race factor, when she is fortunate to have a healthy young daughter with two parents who presumably want the best for her.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moireen wrote: »
    But Halle Berry is mixed race herself. So Nahla is the daughter of a white man and a mixed-race woman.

I find her comments tasteless anyway, if a white person had made them they would have been point-blank accused of racism. It also seems like she's trying to say Nahla is hers, not Aubry's.

One rule for one and another rule for another.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    One rule for one and another rule for another.

No it isn't. Jade Goody was the product of a mixed-race man and a white woman and was always referred to as white. Ryan Giggs and Carol Channing and Carole King are three more, though I think Giggs acknowledges his mixed-race parentage.

Halle Berry's own mother told her she was a black woman. It was nothing to do with discarding her parentage or anything like it, it was the reality in the time she was growing up. Race is still a contentious issue in the States.

As a parent of kids with two different races and nationalities, I see them one way, their dad sees them another. I tend to think of them as Americans, while their dad thinks of them as British, and more than that, Scottish.

All the hand-holding and "colourblindness" won't make a damned difference to how they are percieved by the outside world. If you look at my children, they look like fair-skinned black boys. No one would assume that they are anything else.

Britain is not off the hook when it comes to racial issues either. Many a time has my husband been asked are his children adopted when he's with them on his own, despite one of them looking like his clone.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know why I am going to reply but anyway.
    I'm mixed race my mum black and my dad white. My mum was mixed race as well, her Mum white and dad black. Well I say black, She is the same colouring as Halle, and me about the same as her daughter, and I don't consider either colour black, but I think thats just me and how I see myself.

I always found it so weird when I was called black as a kid. I didn't see the colour black in my skin at all. I still don't to be honest.

I saw light brown as my skin colour 'the colour of caramel' as a child. The same colour that most people go when they go on holiday for a tan, and nobody ever called them black when they came back. That is always how I felt as a child.

As I got older I learnt the importance of both. I learnt to embrace and love having both a part of me, rather than pushing anything away. I was only able to do that by having great parents that taught me that my colour wasn't something they saw. It was never an issue. It was just a part of me, something that I should be proud and lucky to have and inherited from both of them. It's how I see it too, and what I would do with any children I have as well.

I'm only bringing it up because it's why I find it slightly worrying that Halle, seems to be, and I really don't like judging other people and how they raise there kids and not knowing the facts, but like making her daughters colour such an issue for her, rather than something that is just apart of her being, and comes from both her parents. The worry being that as she grows up she might see it as a big issue, when really your parents should be the ones help you understand and embrace your identity for everything it is. Thats all I wanted to say really.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,542
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sloopy wrote: »
    We don't know what has gone on between Halle and her daughter's father, but clearly there seems to be some bad blood.

He is still her father and their daughter has the right to embrace both sides of her family without feeling that she has to 'choose' between being black or white.

Halle just seems a little hung up on the race factor, when she is fortunate to have a healthy young daughter with two parents who presumably want the best for her.

what baffles me is sloopy, the two broke up last year and were getting on just fine raising Nahla together...She was saying how much of a great father Gabriel is to her daughter and wanted to continue raising Nahla together amicably

...Then, it went all 360 when he filed for joint custody and recognition to be Nahla's father and she filed for full custody shortly after, he wanted to continue to raise Nahla with Halle and spend more time with her by making it legal and she wants full custody so she could call the shots on when Gabriel can see his own daughter??

Their statements in their press, I think Gabriel took a more appropriate stance in regards to this matter whereas Halle should have not addressed what is a private matter between the two parties in a public domain...

Nahla's parents come from two different hertiages, I'm sure she will raised no doubt to appreciate both sides of her parents backgrounds rather than one side and embrace them :)
  • Options
    haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Britain is not off the hook when it comes to racial issues either. Many a time has my husband been asked are his children adopted when he's with them on his own, despite one of them looking like his clone.

Unfortunately there are ignorant people everywhere!