Options

bt vision no linear channels on offer

Comments

• Options
    GiovanGiovan Posts: 747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wwwebber wrote: »
    Oh come on. Stop the playground stuff please. Lets just see what bt does over the coming months. Opinions are opinions, we dont need links.

I didn't ask for links.
  • Options
    1andrew11andrew1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Giovan wrote: »
    I meant the wider point that the sports channels on ADSL isn't happening.
    I believe it will and I've indicated two clues that suggest this is the case, BT is very notorious at keeping its cards close to its chest/keeping us all in the dark. This means that we tend to know things only once they've happened. It does make for some interesting debates though!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1andrew1 wrote: »
    I believe it will and I've indicated two clues that suggest this is the case, BT is very notorious at keeping its cards close to its chest/keeping us all in the dark. This means that we tend to know things only once they've happened. It does make for some interesting debates though!

BT keeping quiet about that would be rather silly. If they don't tell customers then they will leave.

I don't think anyone is going to get any channels via adsl.
  • Options
    wwwebberwwwebber Posts: 3,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You have no supporting links because that isn't what is happening.
    Is this just guesswork or do you actually have any evidence that any of this is actually the case?
    I didn't ask for links.

Righto lol
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Righto lol

He mentioned links and I responded. Put the posts in the right order.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BT keeping quiet about that would be rather silly. If they don't tell customers then they will leave.

I don't think anyone is going to get any channels via adsl.
    BT has a bit of a track record on keeping quiet. A few posters here pointed out that BT had promised to launch its linear channels by the end of 2012. It passed this deadline but did not advise anyone.
    With regard to BT's ADSL copper multicasting, do you have a theory as to what this is intended for if it is not the sports channels?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This was the sequence of posts. I didn't ask for links.

Is this just guesswork or do you actually have any evidence that any of this is actually the case?
    I've called these points a guess as I didn't have any supporting links to hand but believe them to be true.
    You have no supporting links because that isn't what is happening.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BT has a bit of a track record on keeping quiet. A few posters here pointed out that BT had promised to launch its linear channels by the end of 2012. It passed this deadline but did not advise anyone.
    With regard to BT's ADSL copper multicasting, do you have a theory as to what this is intended for if it is not the sports channels?

You think they would roll out an entire copper multicast network just to keep providing sports to a few legacy customers?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This was the sequence of posts. I didn't ask for links.

Sure you didnt. How else was he supposed to provide evidence to a stranger on the internet without links?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Could the copper multicast network not be for other providers?
  • Options
    promo-onlypromo-only Posts: 3,315
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sure you didnt. How else was he supposed to provide evidence to a stranger on the internet without links?

Can you stop being petty by taking the thread further off topic. Nobody cares who asked who for a link so take your own advice and stop the playground stuff!!
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,531
    Forum Member
    Oh I agree with you there, BT should have bid whatever necessary to secure a majority of games.

Don't the incumbent rights holder (Sky) have the opportunity to raise their bid though, if initially outbid for a renewal? Not sure how exactly this works but it does seem to present a large obstacle to newcomers (if that's what happens).
  • Options
    VisionMan1VisionMan1 Posts: 2,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Heres my recent BT Beta Exchange Checker results -

Available Products

WBC FTTC Up to 57 Up to 20 -- Available
    WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 6 -- 4 to 8 Available
    WBC ADSL 2+ Annex M Up to 6 Up to 1 4 to 8 Available
    ADSL Max Up to 5 -- 3.5 to 7.5 Available
    WBC Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available
    Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available
    Other Offerings
    Fibre Multicast -- -- -- 18-Jan-13
    Copper Multicast -- -- -- 18-Jan-13

And I have not heard a peep, or got a clue, about copper Multicasting on the BT network. But the BT network checker above says different.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    d'@ve wrote: »
    Don't the incumbent rights holder (Sky) have the opportunity to raise their bid though, if initially outbid for a renewal? Not sure how exactly this works but it does seem to present a large obstacle to newcomers (if that's what happens).

Yeah I have heard that.

If that is true then BT should have bid massive so that even if they lost they forced sky to pay a huge amount.

The whole thing is ridiculous. I dread to think what the rights will cost next time and what the consumer will be paying.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    VisionMan1 wrote: »
    And I have not heard a peep, or got a clue, about copper Multicasting on the BT network. But the BT network checker above says different.

Maybe this simply refers to the copper end of fttc? and thus has nothing to do with pure adsl lines? We'll soon see.
  • Options
    promo-onlypromo-only Posts: 3,315
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think it's more a case of if the existing package/rights holder is outbid within a certain region then it's taken to a fresh round of bidding in order to separate them by way of a noticeable margin. Still tied then, it would go to round 3 and so on until a clear winner comes through. So if Sky would have bid £100m on a package and BT put down £500m then BT would have won in round 1 (obviously completely random figures!).
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,531
    Forum Member
    Heres my recent BT Beta Exchange Checker results -

Available Products

WBC FTTC Up to 57 Up to 20 -- Available
    WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 6 -- 4 to 8 Available
    WBC ADSL 2+ Annex M Up to 6 Up to 1 4 to 8 Available
    ADSL Max Up to 5 -- 3.5 to 7.5 Available
    Other Offerings
    Fibre Multicast -- -- -- 18-Jan-13
    Copper Multicast -- -- -- 18-Jan-13

That's interesting as I get the following:

WBC FTTC Up to 66.9 Up to 20 -- Available
    WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 17 -- 10 to 19.5 Available
    WBC ADSL 2+ Annex M Up to 17 Up to 1.5 10 to 19.5 Available
    ADSL Max Up to 7.5 -- 6.5 to 8 Available
    Other Offerings
    Fibre Multicast -- -- -- Available

No mention of copper multicast but fibre multicast already available, perhaps that indicates a policy change to add copper multicast in future? They also included my cabinet number, it's good to know that my own research was correct.

Incidentally, their predicted "up to 66.9 Mbps" for fibre turned out to be 74Mbps in reality. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's interesting as I get the following:

No mention of copper multicast but fibre multicast already available, perhaps that indicates a policy change to add copper multicast in future?

Incidentally, their predicted "up to 66.9 Mbps" for fibre turned out to be 74Mbps in reality. :)

I have up to now seen five posts across various forums, with the same results as mine. So I am not alone. But as I said to 1andrew1, I know nothing and have heard nothing about this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe this simply refers to the copper end of fttc? and thus has nothing to do with pure adsl lines? We'll soon see.

Yeah, I've thought about that, wwwebber. But thats not the way Multicasting works. Because once the Multicast signal reaches your local cab (on FTTC), the cab then just sends that signal via the copper wire in your street to your home, with no intervening mechanism required.

Plus theres the added factor that enabling Multicast over a fibre network is a relatively simple (but expensive) process compared to DLS enablement.

I have talked at length with a TalkTalk YouView network engineer re the above, and about the TT ADSL Multicast network they have employed for YouView. And to say I am impressed with TT's ADSL technical achievement would be an understatement. As over DSL lines, there are just so many variables that can degrade a Multicast IPTV signal its untrue.

So I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Bloody BT, not very communicative for a communications company, are they? :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have talked at length with a TalkTalk YouView network engineer re the above, and about the TT ADSL Multicast network they have employed for YouView. And to say I am impressed with TT's ADSL technical achievement would be an understatement. As over DSL lines, there are just so many variables that can degrade a Multicast IPTV signal its untrue.

TalkTalk's technology is ancient.

It was originally launched as Homechoice in 2000 - I had their service around 8 years ago just before they were bought by Tiscali.

The box provided all channels over broadband in the days when ADSL was 8Mbps max. Channels were standard definition only and typically took around 2Mbps from the connection.

Originally it was an ATM based service but it eventually migrated to an IP based system.

So TalkTalk have a lot of history and experience with these technologies and had alot of the content agreements in place which enabled their faster delivery on YouView than BT.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    M_at wrote: »
    TalkTalk's technology is ancient.

It was originally launched as Homechoice in 2000 - I had their service around 8 years ago just before they were bought by Tiscali.

The box provided all channels over broadband in the days when ADSL was 8Mbps max. Channels were standard definition only and typically took around 2Mbps from the connection.

Originally it was an ATM based service but it eventually migrated to an IP based system.

So TalkTalk have a lot of history and experience with these technologies and had alot of the content agreements in place which enabled their faster delivery on YouView than BT.

Yeah, thats what the TT engineer told me. He said all the hard work had actually been done by Tiscali years ago. So they just picked up where they left off. Which made it's implementation easier than starting from scratch.

I didn't fully understand what he was talking about, until you posted the above, so thanks for that. As it was very informative.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tiscali was a marvellous service.

For approximately £70 per month you could have unlimited broadband, calls, line rental, entertainment channels, 4 sky sports channels, 2 espn channels and 6 sky movies channels. And of course you got a comprehensive on demand and catch up service. All over your standard copper line. And this was 6 years ago.

You won't get that value on any other platform now.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    But out of the 700,000 BT Vision customers how many are now Infinity enabled or in contract on Infinity? I for one am not able to recieve Inifinity despite being only 150m away from the exchange. If I remember correctly Homechoice and Tiscali were originally only available in certain areas of the country. BT would only need to enable Copper Multicast in some exchanges. I think there is more to come on this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    simonallen wrote: »
    But out of the 700,000 BT Vision customers how many are now Infinity enabled or in contract on Infinity? I for one am not able to recieve Inifinity despite being only 150m away from the exchange. If I remember correctly Homechoice and Tiscali were originally only available in certain areas of the country. BT would only need to enable Copper Multicast in some exchanges. I think there is more to come on this.

I can't believe this copper multicast is for sports via adsl. If it was then they would surely continue to allow people on ADSL to sign up to sports. And an expensive network like that would not be worth just to keep a few thousand customers.

If the Infinity rollout is at about 50% which is what I last heard then you would expect about 400,000 to have access to it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't believe this copper multicast is for sports via adsl. If it was then they would surely continue to allow people on ADSL to sign up to sports. And an expensive network like that would not be worth just to keep a few thousand customers.
    I think the copper multicast is both for the existing sports customers and any other ISPs eg TalkTalk that wish to use it for their services. BT is likely to be wanting new sports customers to sign up to Infinity for commercial reasons - put simply it charges more for Infinity than ADSL.
    If the Infinity rollout is at about 50% which is what I last heard then you would expect about 400,000 to have access to it.
    According to this report 9/1/2013, 40% of the UK has access to Infinity but we don't know if all the 40% have Multicast too.