Humax HDR-1000S Firmware Update 1.00.16 - Now Available

167891012»

Comments

• FaustFaust Posts: 8,985
    Forum Member
    paul1962 wrote: »
    Never had any problems with my Sky boxes.

My ancient Pace Sky+ is still going strong, had to replace the harddrive but it runs all the time and never in standby and lasted 5-6 years. I still use it for recording SD channels as I cannot rely on the 1000s.

My Sky + HD hard drive was the same so all in all I've been very impressed with my Sky+ experience to the point where I'm thinking of going back just to get a reliable PVR - Freesat and Humax just don't care about us.

Whereas mine has been the opposite. Our old White Pace + box whilst still working has to have regular power lead out sessions. My Pace Sky HD Box used to be OK until the Darwin firmware release. It was never the same after that and the latest EPG really spoilt it. I think the issue there has been the older boxes just don't have enough memory to run the new EPG successfully.
  • paul1962paul1962 Posts: 86
    Forum Member
    REPASSAC wrote: »
    The .22 'Beta' software has solved all recording problems (other than Broadcaster running status).
    http://beta.humaxonline.co.uk/downloads/hdr-1000s

I agree. The latest Humax software has fixed issues with the box when it comes to recording. At least Humax made an effort on this problem,took them a while.
    Still plenty of other issues to fix in the firmware though.

The broadcaster running status is a problem Freesat don't want to get involved with. Freesat is a brand and is advertised as such, people buy a Freesat box they don't buy an E4, BBC, ITV box so Freesat themselves need to do something about the running status problem. If they're going to wash their hands of the problem then they need a statement in their adverts which says "this box will not correctly record all programs, it may miss the beginning or the end".
    Forum Member
    I agree. The latest Humax software has fixed issues with the box when it comes to recording. At least Humax made an effort on this problem,took them a while.
    Still plenty of other issues to fix in the firmware though.

The broadcaster running status is a problem Freesat don't want to get involved with. Freesat is a brand and is advertised as such, people buy a Freesat box they don't buy an E4, BBC, ITV box so Freesat themselves need to do something about the running status problem. If they're going to wash their hands of the problem then they need a statement in their adverts which says "this box will not correctly record all programs, it may miss the beginning or the end".
    I wasn't aware it was an issue? I've now done 107 recordings and to date not missed a minute?
  • fixermanfixerman Posts: 1,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never had any problems with my Sky boxes.

My ancient Pace Sky+ is still going strong, had to replace the harddrive but it runs all the time and never in standby and lasted 5-6 years. I still use it for recording SD channels as I cannot rely on the 1000s.

My Sky + HD hard drive was the same so all in all I've been very impressed with my Sky+ experience to the point where I'm thinking of going back just to get a reliable PVR - Freesat and Humax just don't care about us.

I have several Humax PVRs including the original Freeview PVR that are still going strong despite very heavy usage by several members of the family. None of them have ever had any faults whatsoever.:)

Somehow I don't think I will be saying the same thing about the 1000S! :o
    Forum Member
    Is the broadcaster running status the same for all manufacturers of Freesat/Freeview EPG's? I have a Panasonic DMR E78 that I've had years and that too always gets the recording times spot on.
    Forum Member
    Faust wrote: »
    Is the broadcaster running status the same for all manufacturers of Freesat/Freeview EPG's? I have a Panasonic DMR E78 that I've had years and that too always gets the recording times spot on.

All Freeview PVRs will use the same data to accurately record a program.
    The are two variants of the Freesat system, G1 and G2 with the HDR1000S being the only G2.
    All G1 boxes use the same data as will all G2 (Assuming another manufacturer gets involved).

I believe the way the data is broacast is different across the different system but it should still be the same data.
    So, if it channel works OK on Freeview it should work OK on Freesat G1 & G2.

In one post you say you've not missed a minute in 107 recordings so it may be that you're only recording channels which either support the accurate record signalling or a channel which runs on time.
    If you want to do a test try recording several programs from the ITVX+1 channels (ITV+1, ITV2+2 etc), you shouldn't have to record many before you get parts of programs missed.
    Forum Member
    All Freeview PVRs will use the same data to accurately record a program.
    The are two variants of the Freesat system, G1 and G2 with the HDR1000S being the only G2.
    All G1 boxes use the same data as will all G2 (Assuming another manufacturer gets involved).

I believe the way the data is broacast is different across the different system but it should still be the same data.
    So, if it channel works OK on Freeview it should work OK on Freesat G1 & G2.

In one post you say you've not missed a minute in 107 recordings so it may be that you're only recording channels which either support the accurate record signalling or a channel which runs on time.
    If you want to do a test try recording several programs from the ITVX+1 channels (ITV+1, ITV2+2 etc), you shouldn't have to record many before you get parts of programs missed.

I have recently recorded the entire series of DCi Banks ITV3 if that counts? Not missed anything on those. Not recorded anything ever on any + channels if I'm honest, as for ITV2 I don't think I've ever watched a programme on that channel at all. I did Foyle as well, that might have been ITV3 though, again spot on. TBH I've been reading posts for years about people who miss recordings, even on the Sky platform, again not happened to me. The only time I've missed anything is when the broadcaster substitutes what is advertised and inserts something else, e.g. Click BBC News is always pulling the feature and inserts something else but it is still advertised as Click.

5 cuts it fine now and again, e.g. the opening credits may be rolling as the programme starts.
    Forum Member
    ITV, ITV2 and ITV3 are all OK, it's the +1 versions of those channels which aren't.
    Unfortunately sometimes I've had no choice but to use the +1 channels due to other things being recorded :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 273
    Forum Member
    hmmm now theres a first, well maybe not a first as i sure its done it before, channel 4 recording cut off before end programme grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
    Forum Member
    ITV, ITV2 and ITV3 are all OK, it's the +1 versions of those channels which aren't.
    Unfortunately sometimes I've had no choice but to use the +1 channels due to other things being recorded :(

I suppose that's the good side of having 4 different recording devices now the children have all left and it's just me and the wife.
  • -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member

Granted its no good if you want to keep it, but on the bright side at least you've still got a 3rd option of catchup.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 273
    Forum Member
    Hmmmm froze again whilst watching match in HD
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The ITV+1 channels don't record properly on the old HDR model and never have done.
    The box just starts and stops on the scheduled times rather than the actual times.

How is the new model now the Channel 4 family of channels transmits accurate start times?

Automan.
  • -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    Automan wrote: »
    How is the new model now the Channel 4 family of channels transmits accurate start times?

Automan.

I recorded the Fried Chicken Shop program last week and missed the last couple of mins from the end.
  • CAMERA OBSCURACAMERA OBSCURA Posts: 8,002
    Forum Member
    -GONZO- wrote: »
    I recorded the Fried Chicken Shop program last week and missed the last couple of mins from the end.

Ive had several recordings of 1 hr shows where the box just decides to record either a few minutes or half an hour of the programme.

The Andrew Marr Show for example, the last 3 weeks it has only recorded 20 minutes of the programme (no clashes in planner either)

Unless the promised update in March sorts out ALL of the bugs, from not being able to rewind without having to fast forward first, not being able to rewind live TV (Top Gear is one such programme, (buffer is on) to the box just deciding it cant be arsed to record entire programmes, then this bug ridden crap is being sent back to Humax. I don't mind being a guinea pig on early boxes but it barely does the basics to a satisfactory level.

Planned to catch up on a few Call The Midwifes, alas 2 episodes have only had a few minutes recorded.

Tired of rebooting/reformatting the blasted thing as well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tried to set up a series record on ITV Lightfields but no series option was offered so it is just going to record one episode.:mad::mad:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 453
    Forum Member
    Ive had several recordings of 1 hr shows where the box just decides to record either a few minutes or half an hour of the programme.
    [...]
    Unless the promised update in March sorts out ALL of the bugs [...] then this bug ridden crap is being sent back to Humax. I don't mind being a guinea pig on early boxes but it barely does the basics to a satisfactory level.

That's the thing, isn't it? If it performed the basics - ie. the FUNDEMENTAL aspects of its functionality - the reasons for its existence - then it wouldn't be so bad.

Recording what it's set to record is so basic that Humax releasing the 1000s without it being able to adequately do that is inexcusable. There literally is no excuse that can be made for such entry-level incompetence.

So glad I bought the previous generation and didn't wait to get this. Humax should be ashamed of themselves. And Freesat should be pretty unhappy too.
    Forum Member
    fixerman wrote: »
    Tried to set up a series record on ITV Lightfields but no series option was offered so it is just going to record one episode.:mad::mad:

I had this when I tried to record it on ITVHD. Also there was no program description.
    Tried on SD ITV and it let me series record.
    Cancelled that and try ITVHD, still failed and still no program description.
    45 minutes later it worked OK. Program description existed too.
    All very odd
  • grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Series set up and recorded first episode no problem on My Hdr-1000s. 1.0.22 beta software, ITV-HD London.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Series set up and recorded first episode no problem on My Hdr-1000s. 1.0.22 beta software, ITV-HD London.

Thanks Graham!
    I am reluctant to install the beta software in case I invalidate the warranty? :confused:
  • grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks Graham!
    I am reluctant to install the beta software in case I invalidate the warranty? :confused:

You won't. There's a post on My Humax confirming same. However a full ota is not likely to be too far away.