'Freedom of the city'. Erm,what's the point ??

AudioRebelAudioRebel Posts: 32,201
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Robbie Williams has been granted 'the freedom of Stoke-on-Trent'.

But why ? I don't see the point of such an 'accolade', especially as Stoke isn't that great a place to be given 'freedom'.

To be given the 'freedom of a city' should be just that, literally.
For example, not having to pay to go to the leisure centre, the cinema/theatre.. even the local snooker club. Free car parking & bus travel at least !
Any more ideas for the ultimate 'freedom' of where you live ?

Comments

• Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member

But why ? I don't see the point of such an 'accolade', especially as Stoke isn't that great a place to be given 'freedom'.

For example, not having to pay to go to the leisure centre, the cinema/theatre.. even the local snooker club. Free car parking & bus travel at least !

Ah, unfettered access to the snooker club. The pinnacle of honour :D
  • Jennifer JayneJennifer Jayne Posts: 9,022
    Forum Member
    I can just see Robblie Williams on the bus next to the window squeezed in with the one person on the bus no one ever wants to sit by that stinks off BO and pee and comes across quite weird. - Though I guess that is actually most people in Stoke-on-Trent.
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Gosh, will Samanda get it next?
  • Jennifer JayneJennifer Jayne Posts: 9,022
    Forum Member
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    Gosh, will Samanda get it next?

Who? Has Samamtha Womack been sleeping with newts (salamandas)?
  • NilremNilrem Posts: 6,940
    Forum Member

It's a historic honour, going back a few hundred years it, from memory, gave you certain rights of passage for both yourself, and livestock etc as an example.
    I think it's a bit like being given the "key to the city" which probably had roots in allowing you passage when the gates/fortifications might normally be shut (you were recognised as being able to be trusted not to make off with the mayors prize horse etc;))..

It's a bit like being given an OBE or CBE doesn't really confer you with any powers (other than the ability to add some letters after your name), but it recognises your achievements.
  • DangerBrotherDangerBrother Posts: 1,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just buy a one day travelcard, and you too can get that feeling.

(Until 04.29 the following morning)
  • grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sean Connery got the Freedom of Edinburgh - why, when he lives abroad and rarely visits........ (and doesn't pay income tax to the UK either)
  • DangerBrotherDangerBrother Posts: 1,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grumpyscot wrote: »
    Sean Connery got the Freedom of Edinburgh - why, when he lives abroad and rarely visits........ (and doesn't pay income tax to the UK either)

They seem very proud that he was a milkman up there.

Not a patch on Pat Mustard
  • 2-Pot Screamer2-Pot Screamer Posts: 34,238
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They seem very proud that he was a milkman up there.

Not a patch on Pat Mustard
    Pat Mustard had the freedom of Craggy Island, and took every advantage of it ;-)