Biggest Post-Soap Successes?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,575
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Great things are often expected of soap actors when they leave their street/square etc. Many have launched other careers and crashed and burned. No Adam Rickett jokes please! ;)

Now and then however we do witness the odd one or two who've made it big. With Bruno Langley seeking to spread his wings, I thought this would be pretty topical..

Ok, here's my list..

Martin Kemp (formerly Steve Owen), Tamzin Outhwaite (Mel Healy/Beale/Owen!), and of course Kylie Minogue, Holly Valance and maybe Amanda Barry (sort of..), I mean Bad Girls is a step-up really..

So who am I missing? :)

Comments

• BBCblobBBCblob Posts: 675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Your missing Maxine Peacock - I really can't even remember her name anymore Tracey?? ;)

Martin Kemp his gone down in my view apart from turning up to all of ITV award thingys his drama was moved to ITV2 it was that bad!

Ok, heres my real list!
    Ross Kemp
    Tamzin Outhwaite
    Michelle Collins
    The actor who played Matthew Rose in EE went on to do some films.
  • lalalala Posts: 21,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Holly Valance.........mmm yes where is she now ever since she decided not to show alot of flesh again?

Yes nowhere lol :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sarah Lancashire - Was very busy for a long while after leaving Corrie, but is taking a rest now (although she has just started to direct)

Ross Kemp - OK so some of his post EE stuff is shocking but he works a hell of alot

Nick Berry - Succesful in Heartbeat although has been quiet of late

Michele Collins - As mentioned already

Amanda Barrie - Yeah I would put her there simply because she didnt expect to do much after Corrie and didnt leave with the big "Im going to be a star" and yet is doing Bad Girls & Hells Kitchen

Tamzin Outhwaite - Red Cap etc although im not sure how long she will last!

Jack Ryder - Oh no sorry how did he get there!!!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lala wrote:
    Holly Valance.........mmm yes where is she now ever since she decided not to show alot of flesh again?

Lol.. yeah, I know. But she still probably made more from her brief spell in the pop scene limelight than she did in neighbours!

Yeah, Martin Kemp hasn't been around for a bit, but I reckon he could reappear at any moment.

I reckon Tamzin Outhwaite will last for ages.. She's stunning, she'll never be short of roles. No matter how many times Red Cap fails to get off the ground she'll always have something to fall back on..

How about the dreaded Martine McCutcheon? I guess she's come a long way..
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 62
    Forum Member
    To be honest, I can't think of any soap actor/actress who has really made it big outside of UK telly. None of them really have the pulling power to attract as many viewers as they did before. So let's hope Bruno can change all that. However, there is Martine McCutcheon, who starred in the biggest British film of last year (Love Actually) and is somewhat familiar to US audiences.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 345
    Forum Member
    Jane Danson (Leanne Battersby) has done not bad for herself either...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    beckymover wrote:
    So let's hope Bruno can change all that.

I doubt it really.. Better looking, more talented actors have failed. He's not that special all in all. And I'm not having a go at him, I just don't see anything majorly promising in his future really.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lala wrote:

Holly Valance has quit music altogether to concentrate on her acting.
    Dani from H&A is the next soap bird to go into music.
    Let's hope she sings better than when she first arrived on H&A (if anyone remembers she butchered Christine Anu's "Coz I'm Free" in an otherwise rather funny storyline).
    Coz Im' freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee,
    coz I'm freeeeeeee !
  • DrifterDrifter Posts: 12,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Claire King (Kim Tate) of course - Bad Girls

The bloke who played Dave Glover in Emmerdale has also been in numerous things, and Samantha Giles (Bernice) is in "Where THe Heart Is".

Jane Danson (Leanne in Corrie). Yes she's comnig back, but she's had a few high profile roles...

All those others that moved to The Bill and Holby - Todd Carty, Daniel thingy (Neighbours), Roberta something (Irene in EE), Beth Cordingly (Family Affairs), the bloke who played the EE market inspector, several from Brookside, and Tina Hobley from Corrie now in Holby...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eva Pope (Tanya in Corrie) - was in Peak Practice and now, of course, Bad Girls.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How could I have forgotten!?! Heath Ledger of course, he's one of the best well known ex-soap faces to achieve something bigger..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anna Friel hasn't done bad for herself. Not quite the Hollywood starlet she might have been aiming for, but still getting film roles, even if it's low budget British stuff. Plus a drama series..
  • TigerzondaprowlTigerzondaprowl Posts: 588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Manda Barrie looks awful on Bad girls lol...
    OMG have you seen her on hells kitchen, i thought she was going to lose her temper, her face was a picture, "yes chef yes chef yes chef"...it's her and that bloke that seem to get picked on.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Manda Barrie looks awful on Bad girls lol...
    OMG have you seen her on hells kitchen, i thought she was going to lose her temper, her face was a picture, "yes chef yes chef yes chef"...it's her and that bloke that seem to get picked on.

Lol, yeah. I love her character in Bad Girls though. Too funny! Lol, how brilliant was it when the two of them were denying they knew anything about the rhubarb and next thing the toilet overflowed with gardening books. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Garbage wrote:
    Lol, yeah. I love her character in Bad Girls though. Too funny! Lol, how brilliant was it when the two of them were denying they knew anything about the rhubarb and next thing the toilet overflowed with gardening books. :D
    She's great in bad girls even though she looks like the walking dead.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's great in bad girls even though she looks like the walking dead.

Yeah, her hair is awful. But it really transforms her, you'd hardly believe it was the same person who played Alma Baldwin..
  • FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    Sue Johnson, Ricky Tomlinson & Amanda (I'm always right) Burton - all from Brookie.
    From EE, Michael French has done well. Daniella Westbrooke is still ligging it with best of them.
    Kylie Minogue from Neighbours aint done too bad for herself either.
  • baileybotsbaileybots Posts: 6,996
    Forum Member
    davy jones fromthe monkeys he was in corrie as enas grandson and joanna lumley she was kens fiance
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Malandra Burrows aka Kathy from Emmerdale also found success hosting that soap quiz thing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    baileybots wrote:
    joanna lumley she was kens fiance

Really??? :eek: I never knew that!
  • Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    You've all forgotten the biggest post-soap success - Oscar winner Russell Crowe - once of Neighbours.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wasnt Jude Law in ITV's 1990's afternoon soap "Families" ? If so he's done pretty well for himself!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You've all forgotten the biggest post-soap success - Oscar winner Russell Crowe - once of Neighbours.

I wasn't aware of him being Neighbours cast member.. since I never watch the show, I guess.

All in all Aussie soap stars seem to do best in their post soap-careers.. There's Kylie Minogue, Delta Goodrem, Holly Valance, Russell Crowe and heath Ledger to name a few. Pretty impressive really..
    Forum Member
    Garbage wrote:
    I wasn't aware of him being Neighbours cast member.. since I never watch the show, I guess.

All in all Aussie soap stars seem to do best in their post soap-careers.. There's Kylie Minogue, Delta Goodrem, Holly Valance, Russell Crowe and heath Ledger to name a few. Pretty impressive really..

I don't think he was in that many episodes, a mate of Henry's if I remember correctly - just thought of another one, but my minds gone blank on his real name - Mike from Neighbours, he's gone on to star in major Hollywood stuff like LA Confidential
    Forum Member
    I don't think he was in that many episodes, a mate of Henry's if I remember correctly - just thought of another one, but my minds gone blank on his real name - Mike from Neighbours, he's gone on to star in major Hollywood stuff like LA Confidential

Guy Pearce - that's his name. Was Mike in Neighbours for ages (during the Scott and Charlene years), went out with Anne for quite a while, think he wanted to be a phtographer.