Options

Manchester United V Liverpool, should it have been a penalty? [Poll]

Lawro2Lawro2 Posts: 1,219
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Do you think it should have been a penalty or not a penalty.

I have requested a poll.

For me it was NOT a penalty.

Manchester United V Liverpool, should it have been a penalty? 111 votes

Penalty
37% 42 votes
Not penalty
62% 69 votes

Comments

• Options
    Richie1001Richie1001 Posts: 8,217
    Forum Member
    To be honest this really doesn't matter, it's been and gone. And we're (LFC fans) starting to sound bitter, dispite the fact most of us have moved on and have hardly mentioned it since the game!

The simple fact is, I don't think it should have been a penalty, but it was always going to be. If you make any contact in the box these days the striker will go down and look for the penalty. That is a problem with the game these days, not a problem with one decision.
  • Options
    Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    Only on DS would this need ANOTHER thread. Tbh it only matters that one man thought it was a penalty and no amount of polls or continued complaining will change that.

Stop your defender diving in and it ceases to be an issue.
  • Options
    Tel69Tel69 Posts: 27,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is so last week. What is the point of another thread on top of the ones we have already???:confused:
  • Options
    Astra 1AAstra 1A Posts: 1,704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The 1st camera angle replay shown on the day from behind the goal confirmed fresh air between Agger's foot and Berbatov.

Strangely ITV never showed that camera angle replay again.

The other angles shown repeatedly were inconclusive either way.

:confused:
  • Options
    Pink_PounderPink_Pounder Posts: 13,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It clearly was a penalty. Did people not see Ryan Giggs score?
  • Options
    PES 2009PES 2009 Posts: 1,146
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It clearly was a penalty. Did people not see Ryan Giggs score?

A penalty clearly was given but if that kind of contact results in a penalty why are we not getting 10 per week?

Howard Webb has given 4 penalties to Man Utd in his last 6 games at Old Trafford. Something smells fishy and I'm not talking about the contents of Baldrick's Apple Crumble.
  • Options
    ShadoutShadout Posts: 1,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This thread might well have been titled "Are you a Man Utd fan or a Liverpool fan?" - I suspect the results would have been virtually identical. I personally didn't think it was a penalty on Saturday, I'm a bit more old school and am of the belief that contact between players is not the same thing as a foul.

Man Utd do get a lot of penalties at Old Trafford, that much is true; but it's for the same reason that they seem to have o.g. on their scoresheet so often - they spend more time in the oppositions penalty area than the majority of other teams. As a result, they are fouled more in the area, and the ball goes in off defenders more often than for other teams.
  • Options
    Lawro2Lawro2 Posts: 1,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shadout wrote: »
    This thread might well have been titled "Are you a Man Utd fan or a Liverpool fan?"

Some fans hate both teams.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lawro2 wrote: »

You should have offered an alternative option where everybody lost then :P
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Man Utd do get a lot of penalties at Old Trafford, that much is true; but it's for the same reason that they seem to have o.g. on their scoresheet so often - they spend more time in the oppositions penalty area than the majority of other teams. As a result, they are fouled more in the area, and the ball goes in off defenders more often than for other teams.

There is also the alternative viewpoint that as Old Trafford is packed with mainly Man Utd fans, referee influence is highly possible, especially if tens of thousands of them are shouting abuse at you.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i support neither and by the laws of the game it was a penalty
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lawro2 wrote: »

Howard Webb is also building up a contingent of hatred.

The Dutch nation for one.

Spurs fans also aren't that keen on him.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This poll = man utd fans vs rest of the forum

Should never have been created.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dmuk wrote: »

Not really. People are generally a fair minded bunch here, with some exceptions. It's not as if we're Chelsea or Manchester City or anyone hated or frightful ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PES 2009 wrote: »
    There is also the alternative viewpoint that as Old Trafford is packed with mainly Man Utd fans, referee influence is highly possible, especially if tens of thousands of them are shouting abuse at you.

Tens of thousands of fans shouting at Old trafford? never seen that, although I have seen tens of thousands of fans at Old Trafford sat down nice and quietly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tens of thousands of fans shouting at Old trafford? never seen that, although I have seen tens of thousands of fans at Old Trafford sat down nice and quietly.

In fairness, our away allocation numbers over the years have often been curtailed in response to stewards at many grounds claiming that the away United support stand-up far too often.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Move on 'pool fans....
  • Options
    Barry WilsonBarry Wilson Posts: 1,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where has all the footage of the incident on YouTube gone?

A few days ago I typed 'Berbatov dive' and there were at least 20 video links.

Has someone been reporting them?
  • Options
    TommyGavin76TommyGavin76 Posts: 17,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Astra 1A wrote: »
    The 1st camera angle replay shown on the day from behind the goal confirmed fresh air between Agger's foot and Berbatov.

Strangely ITV never showed that camera angle replay again.

The other angles shown repeatedly were inconclusive either way.

:confused:

Are you saying ITV are anti-Liverpool?
  • Options
    celesticelesti Posts: 26,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where has all the footage of the incident on YouTube gone?

A few days ago I typed 'Berbatov dive' and there were at least 20 video links.

Has someone been reporting them?

The Premier League can be a bit militant when it comes to copyright.
  • Options
    estrella★estrella★ Posts: 3,714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you saying ITV are anti-Liverpool?

With Jim "from that angle, the ref might possibly have a case for sending Gerrard off" Beglin on the commentary team, I doubt it...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dmuk wrote: »

Not necessarily, there are impartial fans out there who felt that the decision was right and others who felt it was wrong.

It's not always a case of 'Man Utd vs the rest'.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PES 2009 wrote: »
    A penalty clearly was given but if that kind of contact results in a penalty why are we not getting 10 per week?

Howard Webb has given 4 penalties to Man Utd in his last 6 games at Old Trafford. Something smells fishy and I'm not talking about the contents of Baldrick's Apple Crumble.

Webb's replaced Riley as the bent official at O.T.

We had the normal pre-game Webb whip-round in the Tollgate to purchase his services before the game. Came cheap this time as the usual haunts who also contribute were closed.

The rest do not need to be bought as Fergie has scared them all into submission with his media rants, so it's a win/win situation with refs at Old Trafford.

As for the idea ITV are anti Liverpool. Did anyone listen to Jim Beglin's commentary?
  • Options
    Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    I don't mind a bit of bias, for example I think Phil Thompson is very funny but when it comes to commentary itv shouldn't have put Beglin in that position in the first place. It was a joke.
  • Options
    estrella★estrella★ Posts: 3,714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cantona07 wrote: »
    I don't mind a bit of bias, for example I think Phil Thompson is very funny but when it comes to commentary itv shouldn't have put Beglin in that position in the first place. It was a joke.

I don't mind Thommo either, he takes the banter from the rest of the panel well and he's a decent pundit. Beglin, however... :mad:

Sunday was bad, but the Reading game last year was a joke. Even Beglin's colleagues were embarrassed at him labelling Shane Long a diver, despite replays showing a clear penalty.