Hansen 'There are a lot of coloured players'

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 460
    Forum Member
    roddydogs wrote: »
    So what is the "Correct" word?

I would have said black. But I suspect whoever it was that decided my four year old cousin can't sing 'Baa Baa Black Sheep' in nursery in fear of appearing racist, might tell me that black is also incorrect.

In other words...I haven't a clue which is the politically correct way of saying anything any more.
  • Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who decides that a word that is acceptable suddenly becomes unacceptable?
  • tiggertinytiggertiny Posts: 5,361
    Forum Member

Self appointed and self opinionated Interfering arseholes who have nothing better to do.

Oh and those who have made a business out of race and equality and done OK ta very much out of it.
  • EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's all down to political correctness : a few cranks protest, and all of a sudden the word is "offensive".

Racism is probably the favourite topic of all for the PC brigade : say virtually anything about race, and you're immediately branded a "racist".
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 82,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it's really got ridiculous, and TBH, I can't see what Hansen, did wrong you do wonder who it was who complained about his remarks was it black viewers probably not, I reckon the complaints came from the usual left wing P.C obcessed people who take it upon themselves to be offended on other peoples behal
  • yellowlabbieyellowlabbie Posts: 59,081
    Forum Member
    tiggertiny wrote: »
    Coloured implies they aren't black, in other words likely to be Asian not African but not white obviously.

You can't call 'em Pakistani cause they could be Indian and I can't tell the difference can you?

I doubt anyone would think someone is yellow or blue at least I've never seen anyone coloured bright yellow have you?

When I was little, we all thought Chinese people were yellow:eek::o
  • PeePee Posts: 8,154
    Forum Member
    it's a bit naive to put everything down to the PC brigade when a black person has just told you they find it offensive.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 82,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pee wrote: »
    it's a bit naive to put everything down to the PC brigade when a black person has just told you they find it offensive.

i'm not saying that some black people won't of been offended by being refered to as coloured, I just feel because of the way political correctness dominates our lives we've reached the point where you're frightened to say anything for fear of being called a racist or sexist.
  • BrunoStreeteBrunoStreete Posts: 7,180
    Forum Member
    If you call someone coloured they could be black, white, pink or yellow etc, so it makes no sense.

I think most people would understand what you meant.
  • BrunoStreeteBrunoStreete Posts: 7,180
    Forum Member
    If Liverpool believe Suarez is innocent then they have every right to support him and not condemn him. The way they have gone about doing it is certainly questionable, but not the fact that they choose to back Suarez.

Wearing t-shirts with his face on? At the best it's bad taste, at worst it's saying 'we don't care that he's a racist'.
  • Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    markmc2k5 wrote: »
    Don't understand the problem? It's fact isn't it? Is colored a derogatory term now??

It's considered to be outdated rather than derogatory, but it presupposes that a black person has some how been 'coloured' in & shouldn't be that colour

It's like the term half-caste that used to be used for people of mixed race; it was all right in 1971 maybe, but it isn't now.

I don't believe Alan Hansen is racist or meant it in a derogatory manner whatsoever, but he should know that it is now considered unacceptable to use such a term in 2011.
  • EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pee wrote: »

And what if some people find the term "a black person" offensive? This is where the whole thing becomes quite bonkers.
  • OsusanaOsusana Posts: 7,509
    Forum Member
    roddydogs wrote: »
    So what is the "Correct" word?

I only know this because I work in the public sector and have to have mandatory 'equality and diversity' training (don't shoot me I have to earn money somehow!) and I'm a nurse so that's ok:)

Black is black, or if a mixed race person chooses to call themselves black.
    Asian is asian - whether it be Indian, Pakistani, Bangledeshi etc
    Oriental can be Japanese, Chinese, Vietnamese, Korean etc

Half-caste used to denote one parent white and one black (the asian/oriental factor was not considered back then!)
    Half-caste became 'mixed race' (which is laughable as with one Scottish grandparent, I'm mixed race but white)

Even more bizarrely - lately mixed race has been seen to be perjorative in some way :confused: and whoever dictates these things has now decided that the phrase should be...........................drum roll.......................'mixed heritage'

I kid you not

I would guess that most of us could find some 'mixed heritage' in us?

But then these are the same muppets that decreed 'brain storm' was detriemental to people with epilepsy and/or a learning disability and came up with 'thought shower' instead:eek:

I just wish that they'd get a proper job!
  • Eater SundaeEater Sundae Posts: 10,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Osusana wrote: »
    I'm coloured - I'm pink.

Coloured is only derogatory because during apartheid in the deep South of the USA and South Africa - it clearly defined 'what' someone was ie. in entitlements and the way they would be treated.
    White was white
    Black was black
    Coloured always meant mixed race and these people were treated more harshly than those who were clearly black.
    Signs saying "no blacks or coloureds" were commonplace in shop windows, restaurants etc.

It is the memories of this disgusting segregation that gives the word "coloured" the bad name it has. That's why it is not appropriate to be used.

Should I tell my black mother in law to stop using the word?
  • Joey BoswellJoey Boswell Posts: 25,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alan Hanson meant no harm in what he said, I actually feel sorry for him having to apologise, and I dont even like him that much.

PC gone mad.
  • tiggertinytiggertiny Posts: 5,361
    Forum Member
    When I was little, we all thought Chinese people were yellow:eek::o

Yes the "Yellow Peril"! :)

However, they weren't.
  • lux lisbon 2lux lisbon 2 Posts: 6,273
    Forum Member
    Well here's my two cents worth, I am mixed race as in half black and half white and I don't mind the term 'coloured'. My Jamaican mum uses it too. I suspect this us a knee jerk reaction to perceived racist remarks and now anyone who uses a term deemed 'racist' is targeted as such. I think it is a storm in a tea cup and will blow over soon - you can't blanket people as racist over a word, its thier personal views in race and if they deem a different race to be below them only due to thier ethnicity. Oh and good luck to Spurs tonight!!
  • celesticelesti Posts: 25,995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is no PC brigade.
  • Tel69Tel69 Posts: 26,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jesus, there are some muppets with access to mass media and no I'm not talking about Hansen. :rolleyes:
  • BigBmadBigBmad Posts: 18,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm only 22 and seem to be out of touch with what are the right terms and the wrong terms.

Only 10 years ago coloured seemed an unoffensive term to use. I only recently found out saying half cast instead of mixed race was actually offensive too.

Its all about context of the words, some people (particularly the media) just seem to want to jump on anyone who says a word out of place. Don't like Alan Hansen but feel sorry for him that he has had to apologise for a using a word he probably didn't realise could be offensive
  • yellowlabbieyellowlabbie Posts: 59,081
    Forum Member
    BigBmad wrote: »
    I'm only 22 and seem to be out of touch with what are the right terms and the wrong terms.

Only 10 years ago coloured seemed an unoffensive term to use. I only recently found out saying half cast instead of mixed race was actually offensive too.

Its all about context of the words, some people (particularly the media) just seem to want to jump on anyone who says a word out of place. Don't like Alan Hansen but feel sorry for him that he has had to apologise for a using a word he probably didn't realise could be offensive

I don't understand how he could not know it was now deemed offensive. I do and I am not out there in the media. I am also older than he is.
  • clsyorkshireclsyorkshire Posts: 791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Hansen should have taken a stand and not apologised.

He could afford to not work for the BBC again. If he'd have been sacked, he could have claimed for unfair dismissal.

I'm 99% sure anyone who complained was probably white.
  • sarahcssarahcs Posts: 8,734
    Forum Member
    Maybe we could use IC codes instead?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IC_codes
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wearing t-shirts with his face on? At the best it's bad taste, at worst it's saying 'we don't care that he's a racist'.

My post clearly did not defend the T-shirts, as I wrote, "The way they have gone about doing it is certainly questionable". Your post that I was replying to did not even mention the t-shirts though, and neither did the post you were replying to. You were calling the club deplorable for not condemning Suarez, and that is what I take issue with, because no matter how serious the charge, people have every right to believe someone to have been wrongly convicted and to carry on fully supporting them after that conviction.

If Liverpool believe him to be innocent of racism, then backing him is in no way deplorable. It is simply standing up for what they believe to be justice. I will repeat, the way they have done this is certainly questionable, but not their right to back him.
  • celesticelesti Posts: 25,995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Hansen should have taken a stand and not apologised.

He could afford to not work for the BBC again. If he'd have been sacked, he could have claimed for unfair dismissal.

I'm 99% sure anyone who complained was probably white.

Take a stand? What if he actually regrets saying it?