Options

Mike Leigh films.

Madonna38Madonna38 Posts: 2,078
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Anyone else a fan of his work?
I always love the characters he creates. Happy Go Lucky is probably my favourite film of all time, Sally Hawkins is absolutely brilliant in the role of Poppy. It's one of those films that makes me happy.

Career Girls is another one I love. I can never explain the plot to people who have never saw it because it seems as though not much actually happens but it's the small things, the two characters friendship, the flashbacks that show you how they were, why they were like that and how much they have changed, Ahh wonderful film.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ive been meaning to see some of his other work ive got Abigails party need a say how brilliant that is alright ang :D I should check out some of his other work.
  • Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    generic mike leigh: perky working class eccentric gets beaten down by uptight anal retentive middle class social worker establishment .......

big yawn.
  • Options
    MissDexterMissDexter Posts: 1,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Abigail's Party is a classic which never ceases to make me laugh out loud.
    Nuts In May.....another classic - great performances and full of cringey moments with Keith.
    Life Is Sweet, very charming and heartwarming full of great characters.

More recently i have to say i wasn't keen on Happy Go Lucky but thought Another Year was brilliantly emotional - Lesley Manville was gob-smackingly good.
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Happy Go Lucky and Another Year are stunning
    Especially Another Year. Another year is one of those films that leaves you thinking about life after it ends.

Vera drake was ok.
  • Options
    RaptureRiderRaptureRider Posts: 1,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've recently started watching some of his films via Lovefilm. I've only seen "Bleak Moments", "Happy-Go-Lucky" and "Vera Drake" so far and have enjoyed them all. I've just added "Another Year" and "Who's Who" and "Grown-Ups" from the Mike Leigh at the BBC Collection to my rental list.

Is "High Hopes" any good?
  • Options
    newkid30newkid30 Posts: 7,797
    Forum Member
    I'm a fan too, love them, I dunno what it is but they really get under your skin and make you think.
    another Year was fabulous, great characters, and you just really felt for them, it was ultimately quite sad. Really makes you think about life and what makes people happy, and others unhappy.

All or nothing was excellent too.
  • Options
    Madonna38Madonna38 Posts: 2,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    newkid30 wrote: »
    I'm a fan too, love them, I dunno what it is but they really get under your skin and make you think.
    another Year was fabulous, great characters, and you just really felt for them, it was ultimately quite sad. Really makes you think about life and what makes people happy, and others unhappy.

All or nothing was excellent too.

I agree. I think it's how he uses "normal" characters (if you think about it) and normal situations and in surroundings that we see everyday. Nothing is sensationalised and we don't get a Hollywood ending.

A lot of Happy Go lucky was improvised which I think is brilliant. The scenes in the car with the driving instructor were and I thought they were some of the best scenes. Her optimistic attitude clashing with his pessimistic, negative attitude clashing and creating something unique on screen.

Same with Career girls.On the surface you think it's nothing, but when you get to know and understand these two women and what they went through together, it's incredible. I love the scene in the restaurant when they are talking about how they have changed. That really affected me and even now I can't put my finger on why.

Naked is another great one. Katrin Cartlidge was a wonderful, diverse actress. So sad that she died.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    not a big fan to be honest. my opinion is, once you have seen one, you have seen 'em all. secrets and lies was the best one he's done in my view
  • Options
    Chris65757Chris65757 Posts: 586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Meantime is my favourite Mike Leigh film, as there's really only one over-the-top character or caricature in it, and he's a minor character anyway. For the others, you have Gary Oldman as a skinhead, Phil Daniels as a cocky elder brother, Tim Roth as his 'retarded' younger brother, and Alfred Molina as their complacent uncle. And all at the start of their careers!

I agree that Naked is an excellent film.
  • Options
    Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    Can't stick him.

Way too pedantic, at times rather patronising, and far too concerned with impressing his maudlin, small-world mentality onto seemingly everything to ever be that interesting as a director.
  • Options
    MissDexterMissDexter Posts: 1,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    not a big fan to be honest. my opinion is, once you have seen one, you have seen 'em all. secrets and lies was the best one he's done in my view

No way!!
    He has his style like any writer/director but Abigail's Party is nothing like Life Is Sweet is nothing like Vera Drake is nothing like Happy Go Lucky.
  • Options
    PJ68PJ68 Posts: 3,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Secrets and Lies and Another Year are both fantastic films. Hated Happy Go Lucky though - she is possibly the most annoying character I have ever seen on screen though ML himself said she would split audiences.

I am not a fan of Mike Leigh himself though, he is very disparaging of other filmmakers - I think his attitude actually ends up harming his actors' chances of winning awards etc. I actually think Lesley Manville should not only have been nominated for Best Supporting for Another Year, she should have won.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 121
    Forum Member
    Is it wrong that I've never seen any of Leigh's films....:o
  • Options
    mrblankmrblank Posts: 5,687
    Forum Member
    Is it wrong that I've never seen any of Leigh's films....:o

no mate i have and am not planning to see anymore i find them grim and depressing
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to really like his stuff. But in recent years it seems a bit formulaic now.
    I think he's a very good director but overrated.

I still rate him, but just not as much as I used to.
  • Options
    GlengavelGlengavel Posts: 1,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only one I've seen is Abigail's Party, and I remember thinking "what's all the fuss about?" It seemed to me to have a cold-hearted and nasty streak to it.
  • Options
    Britt_IshraelBritt_Ishrael Posts: 1,130
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved Abigail's Party and Nuts in May
  • Options
    Mark AMark A Posts: 7,692
    Forum Member
    Not my cup of tea. Never been a fan of kitchen sink dramas.

Regards

Mark
  • Options
    Forum Member
    i think his films are loved by the middle classes because it confirms their view that working class people are morons
  • Options
    widgerwidger Posts: 722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mrblank wrote: »
    i think his films are loved by the middle classes because it confirms their view that working class people are morons

I think Mike Leigh's films are loved by everyone, not just the middle classes. If you mean middle class people like his films because they have artistic content, intellectual themes and strong characterizations, why can't the working class people like them for the same reason.

Working class does not = Thick!.
  • Options
    Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    Leigh is no snob. He manages to patronise all classes.
  • Options
    FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another Year is a truly wonderful film.

Thoughtful and touching.
  • Options
    lUCY1lUCY1 Posts: 332
    Forum Member
    mrblank wrote: »

And a fine example.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    widger wrote: »
    I think Mike Leigh's films are loved by everyone, not just the middle classes. If you mean middle class people like his films because they have artistic content, intellectual themes and strong characterizations, why can't the working class people like them for the same reason.

Working class does not = Thick!.

working class = Thick ln mike Leighs films
  • Options
    chrono88chrono88 Posts: 3,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw Happy Go Lucky a couple years ago and I wasn't into it at all. I fell asleep.

I just didn't understand SH's character..too wonky for my liking