Options

the queens diamond jubilee or syria

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 50
Forum Member
What is more important the diamond jubilee or the murder of 32 children and men and women, ther media need to stop going on abouit the unelected royal family who are german by the way no offence to the germans, but it makes me sick to think the media will sweep this under the carpet for a bunch of royals god save the syrians.

Comments

• Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They're doing a crap job of sweeping it under the carpet; I just heard about it on the BBC.
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't wish to be rude but what on earth? :confused:
  • Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blondie X wrote: »
    I don't wish to be rude but what on earth? :confused:

Run-on sentence, innit?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    epicurian wrote: »
    They're doing a crap job of sweeping it under the carpet; I just heard about it on the BBC.

And on the BBC website.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-18221461
  • Options
    sutiesutie Posts: 32,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dailydates wrote: »
    What is more important the diamond jubilee or the murder of 32 children and men and women, ther media need to stop going on abouit the unelected royal family who are german by the way no offence to the germans, but it makes me sick to think the media will sweep this under the carpet for a bunch of royals god save the syrians.

I've just watched the Syrian report on the BBC News, so it's hardly been 'swept under the carpet.'

You can't honestly believe that the media are going to ignore The Diamond Jubilee?
  • Options
    Alt-F4Alt-F4 Posts: 10,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The news is sorted by relevance, if you turned over to the syrian news I'm sure it will be the first item on the agenda
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 50
    Forum Member
    the bbc and sky are going overkill the diamond jubilee, switch tv off and it is costing the british economy £800 million pounds, because off the extra hoildays off.
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think you'll get too many people on here angry that they've got an extra paid day off work to be fair
  • Options
    Baboo YaguBaboo Yagu Posts: 5,803
    Forum Member

...and breathe.
  • Options
    spookyLXspookyLX Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the bbc and sky are going overkill the diamond jubilee, switch tv off and it is costing the british economy £800 million pounds, because off the extra hoildays off.

hmmmm we are having just one extra day is all
  • Options
    Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What I find interesting about Syria is that we only get the reports once it's confirmed by the UN and various agencies, yet with Libya, we were bombarded with all manner of hearsay being presented as fact.

It could have something to do with the fact that Syria has got a very capable modern army, and the powers that be fear some kind of populist demand for intervention, because they know it'd be absolute bloodshed and many of our soldiers would be killed.
  • Options
    Alt-F4Alt-F4 Posts: 10,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    spookyLX wrote: »
    hmmmm we are having just one extra day is all

What does this say?

Why do so many people have the literacy skills of a baboon? Stick that on the BBC website.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It could have something to do with the fact that Syria has got a very capable modern army

Not really that modern, and not nearly as capable as you think.
  • Options
    Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Baboo Yagu wrote: »
    Not really that modern, and not nearly as capable as you think.

More than capable of giving us a very bloody nose.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Around 100,000 people die every day. 99.999% of whom are never mentioned on the news.
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

There's room in the world for both-just like there was for Christmas and the Yorkshire Ripper.
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

So can only one item be important or significant at any one time ?

As for your and I am sorry but ill educated comment about the Royal family being German , I take it you class all people whose ancestory is another country as not being Brtitish as well ? so if a persons great great grand parents were Indian to you they are still Indian not British ? or does discrimination only come in to play if its the Royal family ? because sorry like it or not it is a form of discrimination

The Queen is the 32nd great grandaughter of King Alfred who was bascially the first King of England from 871 to 890.

Henry VIII was her Great Uncle ( x14) , and on the German side George I ruler of Hanover became King of Great Britian and Ireland in 1708 !!! yet 304 years later the Royals are still referred to as German .

Odd isnt it that people feel its acceptable and happily shout that someone whose family goes back so far is not British yet if they did the same thing about say a second generation Jamaican or Indian person people would be screaming racism !!! and rightly so

Quite rightly The Queen who has worked hard for this country is being acknowledged for doing so , that does not mean we don't care about others.

And if you are so worried about Syria over which we have no control how about The Congo where thousands die every month ? Maybe we should have no good news at all just files and files of misery shown to us all.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What I find interesting about Syria is that we only get the reports once it's confirmed by the UN and various agencies, yet with Libya, we were bombarded with all manner of hearsay being presented as fact.

It could have something to do with the fact that Syria has got a very capable modern army, and the powers that be fear some kind of populist demand for intervention, because they know it'd be absolute bloodshed and many of our soldiers would be killed.

The foreign media were on the ground in Libya but there are not allowed in Syria with free access.
  • Options
    spookyLXspookyLX Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alt-F4 wrote: »
    What does this say?

Why do so many people have the literacy skills of a baboon? Stick that on the BBC website.

I humbly beg for your forgiveness over my shockingly poor literacy skills ................:sleep:
  • Options
    Regis MagnaeRegis Magnae Posts: 6,810
    Forum Member

It's a proxy war between NATO (with middle-east allies) and Russia (with China watching from a far, its eyes are focused on the Philippines instead). Factor in Islamic extremists in the country (who never fail to exploit a bad situation) and the cautious approach is pretty much self explanatory.

I wouldn't touch the middle-east with a barge pole if I was the government.
  • Options
    irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    skp20040 wrote: »

The Queen is the 32nd great grandaughter of King Alfred who was bascially the first King of England from 871 to 890.

Isnt Prince Phillip also a 32nd great grandson of Alfred? Demonstrates how closely related the entire European royal families are
  • Options
    HenryBaneHenryBane Posts: 4,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    irishguy wrote: »
    Isnt Prince Phillip also a 32nd great grandson of Alfred? Demonstrates how closely related the entire European royal families are

No, no...

Both are born from James I

previous House of Tudor to the Stuarts.
  • Options
    irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HenryBane wrote: »
    No, no...

Both are born from James I

previous House of Tudor to the Stuarts.

And James is a descendent of Alfred... so they're both the 32nd great grandchildren of Alfred.. no?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    More than capable of giving us a very bloody nose.

Us? Who is us?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,363
    Forum Member
    For goodness sake there are good things that happen in this world too. Why have a pop at the Queen? Her Diamond Jubilee is a massive achievement and it's big news around the world.
    The story of the mass murders from Syria is horrific. It's early days yet but we who are happy about the Queen's Jubilee do care very much about those Syrian children and their families. Hopefully the rest of the world will get to find out who carried out the massacre and do something about it.
    TV News channels do make mistakes and odd choices in prioritising.
    Dedicating four uninterupted hours to air Whitney Houston's funeral was an odd choice. But we have to appreciate she was a popular figure and some people will have wanted to watch. I just wonder what the anti royalists thought about that.