What are you reading at the moment? (Part 4)

Comments

• GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just read First Man of Rome then Grass Crown by Colleen McCullogh, back-to-back. Took a while, but worth it.

Think I'll read How to be a Woman, as a contrast before I read the next two Masters of Rome books.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moving swiftly on after having great fun with Ben Aaronovitch and an interesting killing time with Mr Ellory I am now reading...

Print book: Divergent by Veronica Roth
    Kindle: The Magpies by Mark Edwards.
  • -Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Twelve by Justin Cronin.

I'm disappointed with this. I'm half way through and no real momentum has built up. The story is disjointed, some bits are overly long, some characters are not around long enough to care about. It's a weak sequel (so far).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32
    Forum Member
    Shadow Of Night, which so far isn't as good as a Discovery of Witches
  • goldberry1goldberry1 Posts: 2,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Comedians by Graham Greene.

As usual I find Greene difficult to read - I know he's a famous author but somehow for me the words don't flow.
  • anirose26anirose26 Posts: 1,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ponniyin selvan originally written by author kalki,story revolves around south india,tamil nadu. If anyone interested in other culture,historical novel,here it is. I'm sure you will love it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow, Divergent was something else! Excellent, have immediately ordered the second in the trilogy. And "The Magpies" was a great psychological thriller by Mr Edwards - totally engrossed me.

Now I'm onto:

Print Book The Wicked Girls by Alex Marwood. A re-read for me as I need to review it. Much better this time round even though I enjoyed it last time I obviously wasnt in the right frame of mind.

Kindle. Crimes against Magic - Steve Mchugh. Very good so far, looks like another series I will have to add to my ever growing list!
  • RyJaRyJa Posts: 900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Queens Confidante by Karen Harper - finding it a bit tough to get through.
  • kate36kate36 Posts: 13,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lizzy11268 wrote: »
    I am reading Whispers Underground by Ben Aaronovitch - love these books, Rivers of London was awesome and they are only getting better!

On Kindle I am reading "The Anniversary Man" by RJ Ellory. A proper "serial killer thriller" with hidden depths. Ellory never writes a straightforward tale.

i love his books, but i haven't read him for a while, he never disappoints
    i may reserve 'anniversary man' to read again...:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dymafi wrote: »
    As it happens I've just started Capital . we can compare notes when we have finished!

I really enjoyed it. Thought the collection of characters were really interesting and I loved how he portrayed how people can live in the same road and not know each other. It was a really good book, that reflected the different lives of so many people.
    The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson

Hope its good :)

I enjoyed it. Loved all the characters, but like dolphin says below it was a strange book.
    d0lphin wrote: »
    I enjoyed it, but it's a strange book!:D

I did enjoy it, just can't explain why exactly :D
  • -Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dropped The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared in the bath. Oops!

At long last I've got my hands on Gone Girl. Very excited about this one.
  • Cellar_DoorCellar_Door Posts: 2,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lizzy11268 wrote: »
    Wow, Divergent was something else! Excellent, have immediately ordered the second in the trilogy. And "The Magpies" was a great psychological thriller by Mr Edwards - totally engrossed me.

Now I'm onto:

Print Book The Wicked Girls by Alex Marwood. A re-read for me as I need to review it. Much better this time round even though I enjoyed it last time I obviously wasnt in the right frame of mind.

Kindle. Crimes against Magic - Steve Mchugh. Very good so far, looks like another series I will have to add to my ever growing list!

I loved Divergent but wasn't fussed on Insurgent, and gave up a third of the way through. I think the problem was I'd read the first book a year before the most recent and had forgotten who some of the characters were.

I may reread the first one and then try Insurgent again as I think she's got the next one out later this year.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved Divergent but wasn't fussed on Insurgent, and gave up a third of the way through. I think the problem was I'd read the first book a year before the most recent and had forgotten who some of the characters were.

I may reread the first one and then try Insurgent again as I think she's got the next one out later this year.

I'm going to read it soon so I am fairly fresh in my mind! Yep the last of the trilogy is out in October I think.

As for me: Crimes against Magic: Awesome. Loved it. I love a good Urban Fantasy.

Now I'm onto -

Print book - City of Bones (Mortal Instruments 1) by Cassandra Clare

Kindle book : Cold Killing by Luke Delaney. A new author to me recommended from the lasses, Hannah and Kate, who tweet on behalf of Harper Collins UK. They havent set me wrong yet so I will always read their recs - mostly of course its from Harper Collins published books but they do rec other books as well if they love 'em. If you are on Twitter they are worth a follow @KillerReads

I'm not worth following really but I'm @Lizzy11268 :D
  • goldberry1goldberry1 Posts: 2,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    goldberry1 wrote: »
    The Comedians by Graham Greene.

As usual I find Greene difficult to read - I know he's a famous author but somehow for me the words don't flow.

Have got into this now - maybe it's just the beginning of his books I find difficult?

I'm learning something anyway about Haiti under Papa Doc.
  • Beautiful_HarvBeautiful_Harv Posts: 9,144
    Forum Member
    Gone Girl- Gillian Flynn
  • SilvioDanteSilvioDante Posts: 2,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Sea Hunters by Clive Cussler
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Only Fools & Horses - Graham McCann
  • AnitaSAnitaS Posts: 4,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have just started reading Where or When by Anita Shreve. It's not grabbed my attention yet, but my mum read it before me, and claimed she was unable to put it down, so hopefully I will become more interested in Charles and Sian soon.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've started on The Name Of The Wind - Patrick Rothfuss. Has a 4.5 average rating on Goodreads so I hope it's a good 'un (mind you 50 Shades of Grey has a 3.60 rating so doesn't necessarily mean anything) .
  • clm2071clm2071 Posts: 6,644
    Forum Member
    The Spear - James Herbert.
  • jojo2008jojo2008 Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Hard Way- Lee Child
  • EmmersonneEmmersonne Posts: 4,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've started on The Name Of The Wind - Patrick Rothfuss. Has a 4.5 average rating on Goodreads so I hope it's a good 'un (mind you 50 Shades of Grey has a 3.60 rating so doesn't necessarily mean anything) .

Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant book. My only commiseration is that you'll have to wait impatiently for the third book with the rest of us.

I'm currently reading "The Light Fantastic" by Terry Pratchett and "The Hundred Year old man who climbed out of the window and disappeared"
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Emmersonne wrote: »
    Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant book. My only commiseration is that you'll have to wait impatiently for the third book with the rest of us.

I'm currently reading "The Light Fantastic" by Terry Pratchett and "The Hundred Year old man who climbed out of the window and disappeared"

I'm really enjoying it at the moment, it has me hooked from the start, the world building is excellent.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 376
    Forum Member
    Last night I finished reading Shut Your Eyes Tight by John Verdon and it was absolutely brilliant. There's a twist at the end which I didn't see coming...genius!!! I'm now going to look for Think of A Number, the 1st Dave Gurney book.

And on a different note...today I started Lady of The Rivers byPhilippa Gregory, an author who I really love.

Nothing like a bit of variety!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really enjoyed the first "Mortal Instruments" book, and "Cold Killing" was a good start to a new detective series but it didnt blow me away.

Now reading :

Print Book: The Well of Lost Plots by Jasper Fforde
    Kindle : Unravelling by Elizabeth Norris.