Options

UPS delivery man demanded £15 before handing over parcel

Gusto BruntGusto Brunt Posts: 12,351
Forum Member
✭✭
I had ordered something from China. It cost £18 or $30. But I had to pay extra for the UPS delivery from China to UK.

The parcel arrived this morning but the delivery guy demanded £15 (£4 import tax and £11 UPS fee). I was so annoyed because the item in the parcel's only worth £18. But he wouldn't hand over the parcel until I paid the money. I wasn't gonna grapple him to the ground but I felt like it.

It was like being robbed in daylight.:eek: The thing was the parcel hadn't even gone through British customs and as there was no sticker you usually see when import tax is being paid.

Also, this £15 is an estimate. So that proves the figure has come out of thin air.

My question is, does anyone know a contact email for UPS? I have tried ringing them 10 times but it's always engaged or no-one answers.

Thanks in advance. :)

Comments

• Options
    chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    have you actually looked at the UPS website? there is clearly a "email UPS" option in the "contact UPS" option on the home page!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chenks wrote: »
    have you actually looked at the UPS website? there is clearly a "email UPS" option in the "contact UPS" option on the home page!

That's only if you have an account though, isn't it. I don't.

It's the first time I've used this service.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

no it isn't.
    doesn't sound like you've actually tried clicking on the option, i suggest you do.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Weird. Usually, it dosent happen like that. They should give you the package then send you an invoice for what you owe.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Weird. Usually, it dosent happen like that. They should give you the package then send you an invoice for what you owe.

probably changed the policy due to people receiving the package and then not paying the invoice.

quite rightly, if the receiver isn't willing to pay the duty then they shouldn't get the parcel.
  • Options
    nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It's the first time I've used this service.

And clicking on the Call Customer Service link brings up a whole page of contact information.
  • Options
    i_am_a_gremlini_am_a_gremlin Posts: 3,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    same thing happened to us twice...contacted UPS and customs and its spot on....they wont invoice you incase you dont pay and the cost has to be picked up by UPS
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What's your issue with this exactly? It's not exactly uncommon to have to pay customs before getting your parcel, it's definitely the case with Royal Mail and Parcelforce. Some couriers do indeed deliver first, charge later, but that's a bit risky on their part - especially considering how many people get angry when they're charged the fee. I can see why they might charge upfront, which means not handing over the parcel before you pay. If they hand it over and you don't pay, they're left with the customs bill.

You say you're angry because the parcel is only worth £18, but are you aware the threshold is now £15? It's the law that your parcel must have VAT levied on it. It's not UPS's fault.

My only concern paying at the door would be getting proof I had paid.
    It was like being robbed in daylight.:eek: The thing was the parcel hadn't even gone through British customs and as there was no sticker you usually see when import tax is being paid.

Also, this £15 is an estimate. So that proves the figure has come out of thin air.
    The couriers can clear items through customs themselves, so it will definitely have passed through the procedures.
    When I have had items delivered by UPS or DHL, there's never been a sticker to show it had passed through customs. I wasn't aware customs themselves would apply a sticker. Maybe you're thinking of the bill that is usually stuck on Royal Mail/Parcel Force deliveries? I don't think that's routine customs procedure, not with the couriers at least.

An estimate is not out of thin air, it's an estimate based on what they know now. It could possibly need to be adjusted. The driver himself won't have just made it up.
  • Options
    The_don1The_don1 Posts: 17,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    really dont see what the issue is here. This is pretty common and one of the reason's i try to avoid buying on-line from abroad. A decent website will warn you there might be added charges and suggest's you look into this before going ahead
  • Options
    lexemelexeme Posts: 227
    Forum Member
    UPS charge £12 for duty and tax forwarding (which is ridiculous) and VAT on your item would have been £3.60 so they actually knocked off 60p. How very gracious.

Next time the best thing to do if you can is try to get the shipment marked as a gift. Ive had alot of parcels from overseas that do this as standard for relativly low cost items.
  • Options
    The_don1The_don1 Posts: 17,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lexeme wrote: »
    UPS charge £12 for duty and tax forwarding (which is ridiculous) and VAT on your item would have been £3.60 so they actually knocked off 60p. How very gracious.

Well yes it is. Would Sainsbury's knock 60p your shopping every week?

There was charges on a item to be paid, If the charges was more or near enough what the item cost then thats the person who ordered its fault, Always better to fully check these sort of things when buying
  • Options
    lexemelexeme Posts: 227
    Forum Member
    The_don1 wrote: »
    Well yes it is. Would Sainsbury's knock 60p your shopping every week?

You could argue they do with thier new brand match scheme :p

I think UPS should charge for the tax/duty forwarding relative to the cost of the item like VAT and not a flat rate fee. A £12 fee to collect £3.60 is pretty bad imo.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One concern I just thought of is that the VAT doesn't seem to have been applied to the delivery costs as it should be. Import tax and duties only apply to goods worth over £15, but is assessed on the total cost: goods, delivery, insurance, etc.

If import tax is only £4, that would mean it's been charged on total value of £20. Your goods were £18 and I'm sure the UPS delivery would have cost much more than £2.

I don't know whether this would be picked up on and the OP forced to pay more. But I think the actual tax due would be higher than £4.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Next time the best thing to do if you can is try to get the shipment marked as a gift. Ive had alot of parcels from overseas that do this as standard for relativly low cost items.

It's daylight robbery. I am disgusted with the majority of people on here who think it's right to slap charges of £15 on an £18 item -especially when I have already paid for the blinkin' shipping!

In fact I am going to contact UK customs tomorrow. I have great doubts UPS will actually pass on that tax they say I owe. Bloody thieves. :mad:

It's rob, rob, rob in this country. I felt as if I was being held up at my own front door. Pay up, or else. They wouldn't dare send in an invoice because they know I wouldn't darn pay it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,383
    Forum Member

Marking as "gift" does not negate the duty/tax liability. It just lifts the threshold from £15 to £30.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,383
    Forum Member
    It's daylight robbery. I am disgusted with the majority of people on here who think it's right to slap charges of £15 on an £18 item -especially when I have already paid for the blinkin' shipping!

In fact I am going to contact UK customs tomorrow. I have great doubts UPS will actually pass on that tax they say I owe. Bloody thieves. :mad:

It's rob, rob, rob in this country. I felt as if I was being held up at my own front door. Pay up, or else. They wouldn't dare send in an invoice because they know I wouldn't darn pay it.

UPS have handled the Customs clearance on your behalf and charged you for the pleasure, on top of the duty/VAT due on the item (and carriage charge). So would DHL, or TNT or DPD or ParcelForce or Royal Mail or whoever does the work on your behalf. It's perfectly legal and above board. HMRC will laugh at you and so they should. The fact you didn't acquaint yourself with the rules regarding importing goods and the associated costs is not their problem - it's yours.

If you want to contact anyone then UPS is where you should start, but they now have your money and are unlikely to give a toss (and neither would I).

Of course you could always set up an import account and clear the goods yourself, but it will cost you a damn site more than you're paying UPS and take a lot longer.
  • Options
    SigurdSigurd Posts: 26,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I came across this site the other day:

New Import Duty & Taxes Calculator

I've tried it on only one thing, but it seemed to be accurate. What it doesn't include, though, is the charge from Royal Mail or the courier for collecting VAT and other taxes, so that would have to be added on. However, what is clear is that the amazing bargain from Hong Kong or wherever can end up by being not much of a bargain at all by the time you've paid the necessary taxes and fees.
  • Options
    zz9zz9 Posts: 10,767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I've had the same thing on items bought abroad, from different couriers. It's a standard thing and legally required. The charging the tax bit, not the fee, though that is standard practice since they do have to do work including the time for the courier to collect the fee from you. It may sound excessive but couriers are so highly targeted that even a minute longer at your door quickly adds up.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's nothing to be annoyed about.
    When I was in Bermuda, I paid $5 taxes for a $4 item (coming from USA). Only because it arrived in a separate shipment.
    So yes, the taxes are high, what can you do? I would assume they would be high, so you'd be encouraged to by from your own country or at least EU.
    If you can't understand that, don't buy from abroad.
  • Options
    ChristaChrista Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LCDMAN wrote: »
    UPS have handled the Customs clearance on your behalf and charged you for the pleasure, on top of the duty/VAT due on the item (and carriage charge). So would DHL, or TNT or DPD or ParcelForce or Royal Mail or whoever does the work on your behalf. It's perfectly legal and above board. HMRC will laugh at you and so they should. The fact you didn't acquaint yourself with the rules regarding importing goods and the associated costs is not their problem - it's yours.

If you want to contact anyone then UPS is where you should start, but they now have your money and are unlikely to give a toss (and neither would I).

Of course you could always set up an import account and clear the goods yourself, but it will cost you a damn site more than you're paying UPS and take a lot longer.
    This.

You need to work out the cost before you order. You're always going to be liable for duty & all couriers charge a handling fee on top of postage.
  • Options
    ForestChavForestChav Posts: 35,127
    Forum Member
    even so, you are legally obliged to pay the duty, but the "collection fee" is contractual so you're not.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ForestChav wrote: »
    even so, you are legally obliged to pay the duty, but the "collection fee" is contractual so you're not.

yes, but if you don't agree to the contract then you are not entitled to receive your package.

UPS (or whoever) will simply return it to sender.
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DHL only charge £1.25 fee for VAT collection for personal deliveries.

Is it possible that UPS also have such an option? Worth looking on their website to find out.

Royal Mail fee is £8 as I recall.

The £1.25 is reasonable, the others clearly not.
  • Options
    ForestChavForestChav Posts: 35,127
    Forum Member
    chenks wrote: »
    yes, but if you don't agree to the contract then you are not entitled to receive your package.

UPS (or whoever) will simply return it to sender.

Which (disregarding the point that this could be potential blackmail) would actually be illegal with Royal Mail (but probably not with couriers) due to the mail being the property of the Queen and postal acts meaning that if you put a lien on the Queen's mail or intentionally impede its delivery, then you are breaking the law. There were threads on consumer forums regarding these charges a while back. I suppose with UPS the only way you could contest the charge is to pay the charge then lodge a complaint etc, about whether the charge is reasonable for the work they have to do to put your parcel through customs and pay the duty (which is acceptable) or if the charge is punitive (which is illegal).
  • Options
    SigurdSigurd Posts: 26,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suspect that the OP might have agreed to pay the UPS and customs charges when he ordered the item but, like most of us, didn't bother to read the small print of the terms and conditions.