Options

James Arthur's mother says he lied about being homeless, estranged from parents

LunarLegendLunarLegend Posts: 3,489
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Did "X Factor" U.K. contestant James Arthur, 24, exaggerate or possibly lie when he told the world that he was once a homeless teen runaway who was put in foster care because he had a horrible relationship with his parents? His mother, Shirley Ashworth, says that Arthur's stories about being homeless and estranged from his parents just aren't true.

Ashworth told the Evening Gazette (a newspaper in Arthur's hometown area of Middlesbrough, England) that James was never homeless or estranged from his parents: "I think one little comment James made when put on the spot has been taken out of all proportion. His dad and I have had our differences in the past, but you don’t divorce your children and we’re all very close. His dad Neil is a great dad."

Arthur gave a highly praised and much-talked-about audition on "The X Factor" U.K., in the episode that ITV1 televised on August 25, 2012. In the audition, he did a cover version of Tulisa's song "Young," with his own lyrics added to the song.

In a pre-audition interview that was televised, Arthur (whose parents broke up when he was a toddler) talked about his troubled teenage years, when he said he was a runaway who sometimes slept on the streets: “My mum and dad split up when I was very young and they didn’t have any sort of relationship with each other for my entire life. I went off the rails, especially at school. I used to get suspended, thrown out. I ended up sleeping rough sometimes, so I volunteered myself for foster care. I didn't want to get involved in the arguing anymore. I just wanted to get away."

James Arthur's parents, Shirley Ashworth and Neil Arthur, were at the audition in a show of support for James, who said that the audition was the first time his parents had been together in 22 years. After his audition, his parents were shown hugging him and saying how proud they were of him.

After the audition was televised, James did an interview with the Daily Mail, in which he talked about being homeless and eventually putting himself in foster care: "I started sleeping rough when I was 15. I got kicked out of my mum’s house and I didn’t really care where I slept. I understand why she chucked me out because I was unbearable to live with. She couldn’t cope with me because I was so angry.

"I didn’t have a male role model and I couldn’t relate to her so I lashed out at her. I either crashed on someone’s couch or a park bench. I was a pretty tough kid, but I had to steal food a couple of times. I went to supermarkets like Sainsbury’s and filled up a plastic bag to try to steal enough food for the week.

"They did catch me once or twice, but they never called the police – just told me not to come back. My lowest point was when I was living with a family that I didn’t know and I would look at pictures of my sisters and I wanted to be around them. It was really hard not being able to see them."

Ashworth told the Evening Gazette her version of James' troubled teenage years: “James was a typical teenage lad and could be stroppy at times. There was probably one occasion where we fell out and he stayed on a friend’s sofa - how many parents of teenagers haven’t been through that? It’s not how it’s been perceived. He got into a little trouble at school at times, but no more than many other teenage boys. His whole family has supported him his entire life and we’re so, so proud of him."

In the comments section for the article, an anonymous person using the name "Ditchburn" wrote: "I know he was never on the streets , if he'd had an argument he use to sleep at mine on my bedroom floor and cool off before returning home James was one of my best mates through school and out of school he always use to praise his mam and dad and always said he would be a somebody and look at him he's doin great and good luck to him he deserves every bit of it !!!! Go on jam raff !"

James' mother doesn't appear to be criticizing him but making clarifications to what he has been telling the media, since she had nothing but loving praise for him in the interview.

She added: “He’s always there when people need him, he’s such a loving person. My mum had a stroke eight weeks ago - we almost lost her twice - and even though James had all the stress of his first audition, he was there for me and his nana all the way. That’s who James Arthur is.”

She also mentioned that she got James his first guitar at the age of 5, and he has been a prolific songwriter: “He’s been writing songs now furiously since he was about 15 - sometimes he’ll have three songs written by breakfast.”

http://www.examiner.com/article/james-arthur-s-mother-says-he-lied-about-being-homeless-estranged-from-parents

Comments

• Options
    Shannon_BurnettShannon_Burnett Posts: 263
    Forum Member
    He'll probably do well in the competition, it seems the bigger the lie the farther they go.

Consider Matt Cardle and his bogus band of brothers, for example.
  • Options
    i_am_a_gremlini_am_a_gremlin Posts: 3,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He'll probably do well in the competition, it seems the bigger the lie the farther they go.

oh, thats right, i forgot about that....Lying git!!
  • Options
    tenorladytenorlady Posts: 1,976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Oh my goodness, that was fabricated?:eek: I believed it! God I feel so stupid now.
  • Options
    Patti-AnnPatti-Ann Posts: 22,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

This is the first time I've heard this - he even lied about singing the song at the funeral :eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,950
    Forum Member
    Patti-Ann wrote: »
    This is the first time I've heard this - he even lied about singing the song at the funeral :eek:

It wasn't true...
    http://www.nowmagazine.co.uk/tv-news/510900/matt-cardle-i-didn-t-make-up-story-about-car-crash-brothers-to-win-the-x-factor

And he never said he sang at her funeral, just at her sons wedding :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Patti-Ann wrote: »
    It's really disquieting isn't it? To think he took another family's tragedy and made it part of his own story is troubling and unsettling, to say the least.:(
  • Options
    Shannon_BurnettShannon_Burnett Posts: 263
    Forum Member
    It wasn't true...
    http://www.nowmagazine.co.uk/tv-news/510900/matt-cardle-i-didn-t-make-up-story-about-car-crash-brothers-to-win-the-x-factor

The fact is that Matt "considering" them brothers doesn't make them foster brothers/adoptees. The story used to promote him is BS.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The fact is that Matt "considering" them brothers doesn't make them foster brothers/adoptees. The story used to promote him is BS.
    Exactly. Regarding people as "family" is rather different than formally fostering them, which is what he said his parents had done.

It's a bare-faced lie when all is said and done. :( I've completely gone off him now, and I used to be a genuine fan.
  • Options
    EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had a feeling this was a cock and bull story, even on Saturday night when it was being aired, without knowing what the real story was.

The real culprits here are the producers of course with their fabricated soap opera. Hence we had "painter and decorator Matt Cardle" auditioning, when it turns out he wasn't a tradesman at all, but had just painted a few hotel rooms to earn an extra few bob.
  • Options
    LunarLegendLunarLegend Posts: 3,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like James is going to be this years Alan Turner for those who don't remember who I am talking about watch the two videos I posted below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6smX8LgQpGo
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZV0rXtKeVCQ
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eurostar wrote: »
    I had a feeling this was a cock and bull story, even on Saturday night when it was being aired, without knowing what the real story was.

The real culprits here are the producers of course with their fabricated soap opera. Hence we had "painter and decorator Matt Cardle" auditioning, when it turns out he wasn't a tradesman at all, but had just painted a few hotel rooms to earn an extra few bob.
    Matt Cardle wasn't a painter and decorator by trade? :eek: Next you'll tell me Andy Abraham wasn't a real bin man.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tenorlady wrote: »
    Matt Cardle wasn't a painter and decorator by trade? :eek: Next you'll tell me Andy Abraham wasn't a real bin man.

Now you know ;) And it wouldn't surprise me if Andy Abraham was a financial adviser or something at the time he competed :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now you know ;) And it wouldn't surprise me if Andy Abraham was a financial adviser or something at the time he competed :D
    Haha, me neither. It wouldn't make such a rags to riches story if he was earning a good wage would it? Bless X Factor and it's sob stories:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tenorlady wrote: »
    Haha, me neither. It wouldn't make such a rags to riches story if he was earning a good wage would it? Bless X Factor and it's sob stories:D

The real villains of the piece are the X Factor producers of course : "Now, how can we make you more interesting and likeable to the public?" :)
  • Options
    soulloversoullover Posts: 1,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Manipulated pile of crap!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I've looked up Wiki .He was a bin man, and before that a bus driver :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andy_Abraham

Also Nicki Evans was given as a 'dinner lady' but wasn't she actually the manageress or something :confused:

This thread is meandering about a bit :D
  • Options
    soulloversoullover Posts: 1,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The real villains of the piece are the X Factor producers of course : "Now, how can we make you more interesting and likeable to the public?" :)
    But to go along with a lie for the sake of fame is lacking integrity to the 'nth degree.:cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They didn't push the story of Chico as a goat herder ;)
  • Options
    barrcode88barrcode88 Posts: 6,849
    Forum Member
    Ahh the manipulation - they've created a story it seems, will keep the pap trapped going.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    soullover wrote: »
    But to go along with a lie for the sake of fame is lacking integrity to the 'nth degree.:cool:

Most of the wannabes are desperate for fame : signing the X Factor contract is a bit like selling your soul to the Devil.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It wasn't true...

that doesn't sound like matt lied about them being brothers, it sounds like he said he considers them as close as his own natural brother, and the press manipulated his words into making a bigger story of it.
    shocking, i know....:rolleyes:

as for james' backstory....i don't really care to be honest. i quite happily formed my opinions of all the previous contestants based solely on their performances without knowing diddily-squat about their personal lives...i'll happily do the same this year!:)
  • Options
    trevor tigertrevor tiger Posts: 37,996
    Forum Member
    Looks like James is going to be this years Alan Turner for those who don't remember who I am talking about watch the two videos I posted below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6smX8LgQpGo
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZV0rXtKeVCQ

Except James has a better voice IMO and some artistic ability in that he he can play an instrument and interpret a song.

His back story's rubbish though: My mum and Dad split up and don't get on boo bleeding hoo :cry: :cool:
  • Options
    beckham76beckham76 Posts: 1,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    very simular thing to the lad from doncaster who worked in the call centre who got to simons house saying he had no relationship with his dad.. his dad showed photos to show he had! hmmmmmmmmm they have done this 1 before!!
  • Options
    conchieconchie Posts: 14,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fair play to him.....LOLOL. He copped on quick that you need a sob story that notice will be taken of to get through. He is only playing the game the way they want it to be played.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 485
    Forum Member
    I absolutely didnt rate him at all, no idea what all the fuss is about.

Sob stories mean nothing to me anyway........they mean nothing to soemones singing ability too.