Options

What do you make of people who say they'd save their pet over a human stranger?

ustarionustarion Posts: 20,322
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Is this natural - after all you have formed a relationship with your pet? Or is it strange to value an animal life over a human life?

Comments

• Options
    Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 16,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It would be awful to have to choose who dies but I think I would save my pet because I love her and...I do not love a stranger :(
  • Options
    Elphie_LivesElphie_Lives Posts: 4,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Depends on the stranger surely?

If I had a pet I'd still save a stranger child over my pet.
  • Options
    whatsername235whatsername235 Posts: 360
    Forum Member
    I think it depends, if you had a goldfish for 4 days then probably not much of a choice. A beloved family dog/cat, I could see why people might have a bit of a dilemma....
  • Options
    turquoiseblueturquoiseblue Posts: 2,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When you think about it there are an awful lot of scrotes about, in fact I'm not that keen on people generally.

Having said that if I had to choose I really don't know what I'd do.
  • Options
    nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well at least its slightly less emotive than the usual pet vs baby thread. :)
  • Options
    mangomoonmangomoon Posts: 2,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would save my pet, I'm sorry :(
  • Options
    maidinscotlandmaidinscotland Posts: 5,648
    Forum Member
    A friend of mine used to date a fireman and he said he would save an adult over a child every time because the adult was likely a taxpayer and the child was not! :eek:
  • Options
    Paul237Paul237 Posts: 8,654
    Forum Member
    A friend of mine used to date a fireman and he said he would save an adult over a child every time because the adult was likely a taxpayer and the child was not! :eek:

Sounds like a wind up to me.
  • Options
    tremetreme Posts: 5,445
    Forum Member
    I would nod sagely and say they must post on DS
  • Options
    BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would save the pet. That was too easy.
  • Options
    supertalksupertalk Posts: 948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd say they may as well just get married to the mut if they value it over a human.
  • Options
    whatsername235whatsername235 Posts: 360
    Forum Member
    Paul237 wrote: »

I would bloody hope so!
  • Options
    dorahalldorahall Posts: 1,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love my dog, she's like a little person. BUT if it was her survival vs the survival of a human being, it would be the human. Besides, my dog is clever, she'd probably escape to safety anyway.
  • Options
    JakobjoeJakobjoe Posts: 8,235
    Forum Member
    Id try to save both. But in the end my cats and dog are my family and family comes first.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I don't think it's too strange. The stranger hasn't had and never will have any effect on my life at all, while the pet is something that not only does, but is also an important part of it. Being the same species as me is not really enough to overcome that.

The pet is a clear winner in my eyes.
  • Options
    maidinscotlandmaidinscotland Posts: 5,648
    Forum Member
    Paul237 wrote: »

No he was deadly serious!
  • Options
    Bedsit BobBedsit Bob Posts: 24,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think they're barking, or meowing, or something like that. :p
  • Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd save Sticky the Stick Insect every time.
  • Options
    USIMUSIM Posts: 586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ustarion wrote: »
    Is this natural - after all you have formed a relationship with your pet? Or is it strange to value an animal life over a human life?

It costs about £1200/yr to keep a dog or cat. There are many charities who claim to be able to save a human life for £1200, so this is presumably a decision which all pet owners could be said to have already taken?

(Of course this also applies to anything that we spend unnecessary money on, such as: TV, internet, alcohol, entertainment, etc, etc.)
  • Options
    Julie68Julie68 Posts: 3,137
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would save any animal over a stranger.
  • Options
    maxplusmaxplus Posts: 122
    Forum Member
    Anyone who chooses their pet is a monster.

So presumably that`s how you value the life of your child or parent, less than someones pet. You would really agree with someone else saving their cat above the life of your child.

Grotesque
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,105
    Forum Member
    I would save my cat over a stranger. My cat is part of my family. That doesn't mean I wouldn't try to help the stranger, but in this extremely unlikely scenario* that I would have to choose between them, I would save my cat first.

*that comes up rather often on Digital Spy, considering how many other equally unlikely scenarios there are...
  • Options
    Bedsit BobBedsit Bob Posts: 24,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    USIM wrote: »
    It costs about £1200/yr to keep a dog or cat.

£100 pm, to keep a cat? :eek:

What are you feeding it on, smoked salmon and caviare? :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    maxplus wrote: »
    Anyone who chooses their pet is a monster.

So presumably that`s how you value the life of your child or parent, less than someones pet. You would really agree with someone else saving their cat above the life of your child.

Grotesque

Well choosing your child over a stranger would be the same sort of deal. I imagine most parents would instinctively choose their child, simply because they are more important to them than some random guy. The stranger could turn out to be much more important to many more people, but would that really affect your decision?

Me choosing the pet here would not affect someone else's decision if the stranger they're saving happened to be someone I knew. Your last point about me valuing people I actually care about based on this doesn't really work.
  • Options
    SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd save a human being first, It would hurt to lose a pet but my conscience wouldn't allow me to leave another person to death when I could prevent it.