Wireless or wired printing with Samsung Galaxy Tab S

5hane5hane Posts: 2,385
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi.

I have the Tab S 10.5 tablet and would now like to be able to print from it.

When I had my desktop PC, it was all very straightforward to me. I just plugged in my printer, job done, but I'm a little confused with printing from a tablet.

At the moment I don't even have the printer. I only want to do bog standard black text printing and so am looking at a cheap as chips Wireless Hp printer on Amazon for 30 quid, but I want to be sure it will work with my tablet.

I don't even know if a wireless printer needs to connect to a wireless router or if it connects wirelessly to a device. I am completely clueless.

I can see that in my Tab S settings it says: Hp print service pluggin (on) / Samsung print service pluggin (on). So perhaps all I do is buy a wireless printer of my choice and my tablet will just find it. Something tells me that it can't be that simple though.

Please can anyone advice me as simply as possible.

Thanks

Comments

• Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    5hane wrote: »
    Hi.

I have the Tab S 10.5 tablet and would now like to be able to print from it.

When I had my desktop PC, it was all very straightforward to me. I just plugged in my printer, job done, but I'm a little confused with printing from a tablet.

At the moment I don't even have the printer. I only want to do bog standard black text printing and so am looking at a cheap as chips Wireless Hp printer on Amazon for 30 quid, but I want to be sure it will work with my tablet.

I don't even know if a wireless printer needs to connect to a wireless router or if it connects wirelessly to a device. I am completely clueless.

I can see that in my Tab S settings it says: Hp print service pluggin (on) / Samsung print service pluggin (on). So perhaps all I do is buy a wireless printer of my choice and my tablet will just find it. Something tells me that it can't be that simple though.

Please can anyone advice me as simply as possible.

Thanks

I have a Canon wireless printer connected to my router and I can print from my Samsung and iPad no problem.

If you look in the Play store you will find a wireless printing utility from your printer manufacturer (Canon, HP etc.) just install it and it will find your printer on the network and connect to it.

Away you go, takes a few clicks.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most WiFi printers will connect to your router and via that to any other devices you have.

Some also have the ability to create their own ad-hoc WiFi network, so in effect the device connects directly to the printer.

It would seem that the Samsung plug in is only designed to work with Samsung printers. The HP plug in works with HP printers. As far as I can see the HP plug in works with printers that are connected to your router.

You will need to check the printer you are looking at is on the list of compatible devices though.

There are several lists on this web page

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03722645

Expand the sections and look for a "Yes" in the "Android, Kindle, Chrome Print" column
  • 5hane5hane Posts: 2,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for replying.

I know I shouldn't be but im still confused.
    The list I was linked to doesn't list any small basic printers compatible with android even though on Amazon several cheaper printers including this one say they work with Tablets: https://goo.gl/0JiOVX

So if I just buy the above basic printer I can just download the Hp app and it will, work? That sounds the best option to me.
    <update> The apps I have looked at don't appear to list compatible printers, they just say they work with most. It's like they want us to just buy a printer and hope its compatible.

Sorry to be a div. I just don't want to be disappointed.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, that HP wireless printer will work fine, but so will any other wireless printer.

I have a Tab S and an Epson printer.

I can either use the Epson App or there's loads more to choose from on Play, I use Printershare.
  • Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    5hane wrote: »
    Thanks for replying.

I know I shouldn't be but im still confused.
    The list I was linked to doesn't list any small basic printers compatible with android even though on Amazon several cheaper printers including this one say they work with Tablets: https://goo.gl/0JiOVX

So if I just buy the above basic printer I can just download the Hp app and it will, work? That sounds the best option to me.
    <update> The apps I have looked at don't appear to list compatible printers, they just say they work with most. It's like they want us to just buy a printer and hope its compatible.

Sorry to be a div. I just don't want to be disappointed.

So long as the relevant Playstore app supports the printer you are using it should work fine.

Go to Youtube and search on wireless android printing HP and there are plenty of short videos showing it. So long as your printer is supported by the app it should work a doddle.
  • oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A great option is to buy a printer that uses google cloud print. You load google cloud print app on virtually any tablet or smartphone and once set up you can print over internet if you like. Take a photo in Rome, print in London!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys. Very helpful. I ordered the above cheap as chips printer and hopefully with what I learned here all will be fine.
  • oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    deleted
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's all working :)

Prints wirelesssly from the Tab S using the existing HP print service plugin.

The only slight panic was when the printer couldn't find a wifi signal on startup, nor could my tablet find the printer. It turned out I had to instal software on computer first.
    After the computer installation my tablet found the printer and the printer found the wifi.

I guess we still haven't reached the point where you can ditch the desktop. Thank god we have one!