PS4 HDD upgrades - new info

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rich_L wrote: »

As mentioned SATA2 which is plenty for HDDs.

The M8 is a decent drive, I have never had any issues with them. The M9T is due out soon in 1.5TB and 2TB which will likely drive prices down even further.

Apparently the 2TB M3 slimline portable USB3 drives use the new M9Ts, but no one has confirmed (or denied) this yet.
  • Options
    sithlord3ksithlord3k Posts: 548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lostlam wrote: »

Thanks Lostlam

"Note that 7200 RPM and Hybrid hard drives are not officially supported, and their effects on power drain are as of yet undetermined. Use them at your own risk. "

So they don't actually mention heat concern.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The new WD Black 2 drives look interesting - http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/western-digital-black2-hdd-ssd-2-in-1,news-46366.html
    Western Digital (WD) introduced on Monday a "hybrid" drive for consumers that combines a 120 GB SSD with a 1 TB HDD, thus cramming the high-speed performance of the former and the cheap, high capacity of the latter into one 2.5 inch 9.5 mm form factor.

EDIT: According to PC Perspective - Yeah from what we've seen of the PS4 partitioning scheme, it *might* work if the 1TB portion was already unlocked on a PC and then all partitions deleted prior to installing it into the PS4, but then you're stuck with not knowing where the PS4 puts its data. It's definitely not aware of this SSD / HDD layout, so it'd be a crap shoot as far as performance goes, and it may not like data spanning the logical crossover between the two physical devices.

So by the sounds of it the PS4 would just see one large pool of data and use any of it.. A pity as otherwise it sounds ideal for the PS4. It would be nice for Sony to add "proper" support in the future for these new "Fusion" drives but I won't hold my breath.
  • Options
    Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    ^^oooh sounds good
  • Options
    LostlamLostlam Posts: 191
    Forum Member
    sithlord3k wrote: »
    Thanks Lostlam

"Note that 7200 RPM and Hybrid hard drives are not officially supported, and their effects on power drain are as of yet undetermined. Use them at your own risk. "

So they don't actually mention heat concern.

I must have read it somewhere else, but that is the main concern as it uses more power.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lostlam wrote: »
    I must have read it somewhere else, but that is the main concern as it uses more power.

It totally depends on the drive, some 5400RPM drives use as much power as some 7200RPM drives.

Sony should just state max power usage then that way you can make sure the drive you buy doesn't exceed it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    gds1972 wrote: »
    I wonder if Sony are also going to let you plug in an external HDD into one of the USB 3 sockets if you decide you decide you don't want to replace the internal drive but still want more memory.

Doubt they will allow this. However the removable HD is a great feature of the PS4 - I can see future games being massive in terms of disk size and with more and more people downloading games from the Playstation store instead of buying the physical disk this will be a welcomed addition.
  • Options
    LostlamLostlam Posts: 191
    Forum Member
    Gormond wrote: »
    It totally depends on the drive, some 5400RPM drives use as much power as some 7200RPM drives.

Sony should just state max power usage then that way you can make sure the drive you buy doesn't exceed it.

Exactly mate. It seems to be a very grey area ATM.