MasterChef Australia Season 6 ...

Comments

• soteksotek Posts: 3,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bunions wrote: »
    I'm sooooo angry!! >:(

Dunno WTF has happened but our stupid Tivo box has recorded yesterday's episode again so I don't know who got eliminated :(

It's never done this before - really strange.

Update please anyone?

Ta :)

If you have the willpower to step away from the internet (or at least this forum) for the next 12 hours or so the episode looks like it's repeated tomorrow (1pm on Watch). I'm more than happy to spoil it for you but wanted to give you the chance to catch up on your own if you would prefer.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tracey's mystery box I saw as trying to knock out the strongest 2 in her eyes. Although the POWER apron and choices seem to have revealed some insight into the friendships in the house.

And based on no spoilers - the fact the cheating balcony were telling Kira and Colin when to do stuff and Jamie was there 'on and off the boil' and no one said 'boil it' speaks volumes.

Wasn't disappointed in the result really as was happy with either but the one who got away...needs to go next time. That's all. :)

Also based on season 1 and the great british bake off, I have no doubt I could make the perfect eclaire now with no baking skills, show me that application :P
  • MuggsyMuggsy Posts: 19,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bunions wrote: »
    I'm sooooo angry!! >:(

Dunno WTF has happened but our stupid Tivo box has recorded yesterday's episode again so I don't know who got eliminated :(

It's never done this before - really strange.

Update please anyone?

Ta :)

Mine did the same. Recorded yesterday's repeat. However, I realised just in time to catch it on +1. Yay!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pac_girl wrote: »
    Tracey's mystery box I saw as trying to knock out the strongest 2 in her eyes. Although the POWER apron and choices seem to have revealed some insight into the friendships in the house.

Indeed and from the trailer for tomorrow it looks like she has rewarded the same two friends with the chance to cook for immunity.
  • mazzy50mazzy50 Posts: 13,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Muggsy wrote: »
    Mine did the same. Recorded yesterday's repeat. However, I realised just in time to catch it on +1. Yay!

And mine - but I didn't notice, so I have missed it (unless it randomly records the repeat tomorrow lunchtime.)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are you guys watching the 1pm show on record? I watch the 7pm and the recording and description is the same. I work from home half the week and make myself watch the 7pm or a recording of that show, only just noticed there was an early episodes - is that the problem maybe?

But Jamie to go go go...Jamie to go... :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The 1pm repeat hasn't been a problem until yesterday when it appears Tivo decided we all wanted another recording of an episode we'd already watched instead of a recording of the new episode.>:(

I've checked My Planned Recordings and it all looks OK from now on so it seems there was an outbreak of Tivo boxes exercising their independence yesterday.

Jamie to go!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm 2 episodes behind, I just saw Tracy win the Apron. Though helpfully my sky box had already told me she was going to win it by including her name in the description for the next episode. Grr.
  • BBAnneBBAnne Posts: 23,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just caught up on the last 2 episodes and yay! Although I think the judges could have gone either way with 2 of the contestants... given the problems with Tivo boxes across the board, I'll say no more for now ;)

Sky's behaving itself at least, now it's got itself sorted with the programme descriptions that is!
  • BlokeeBlokee Posts: 644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know the judges like to give the contestants a nudge in the right direction but how much did they help Jamie last night...?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blokee wrote: »
    I know the judges like to give the contestants a nudge in the right direction but how much did they help Jamie last night...?

Just how long did it take for the penny to drop? I mean, give it whatever fancy name you like, but it's still custard.
  • cikacika Posts: 3,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Think I'll start recording the 1pm repeat from now on in case TiVo does that again. Just caught up with last night's. Won't comment until everyone has definitely caught up but, man, my lunch looks a lot less appealing now. And I don't even have a sweet tooth.
  • mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    the losing croquembouche last night was probably as good as any that have been done in previous series

obviously we cant taste them but they all looked superb
  • BunionsBunions Posts: 15,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just found a MSA YouTube channel with series 6 on it.....there's episodes 41-46 and NO MISSING EPISODE 40!! >:(

Can someone who knows how to, do a spoiler post please? :(
    I'd be very grateful - thanks :D
  • stargazer61stargazer61 Posts: 70,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Muggsy wrote: »
    Just how long did it take for the penny to drop? I mean, give it whatever fancy name you like, but it's still custard.

But it is not 'still custard'. The proportions of ingredients and cooking methods are slightly different for 'custard' and 'crème patissiere'. If you boil 'custard' the egg yolks will curdle into a nasty mess- it has to be cooked on a low heat so that it thickens but is still pourable. With 'creme patissiere, the mixture has to be boiled so that it thickens and sets into a solid when cooled so that it can be used as a lining for fruit tarts, as a filling in pastries or in profiteroles. Jamie did not understand the difference which is why he got into such a mess.
    Forum Member
    I thought tracy got the benefit of the doubt last night when she won the first round to get to the cook off against the chef

what she did might have tasted good but looked like something any of us could have done at home , whereas Laura's chicken looked a lot more inventive
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But it is not 'still custard'. The proportions of ingredients and cooking methods are slightly different for 'custard' and 'crème patissiere'. If you boil 'custard' the egg yolks will curdle into a nasty mess- it has to be cooked on a low heat so that it thickens but is still pourable. With 'creme patissiere, the mixture has to be boiled so that it thickens and sets into a solid when cooled so that it can be used as a lining for fruit tarts, as a filling in pastries or in profiteroles. Jamie did not understand the difference which is why he got into such a mess.

does a creme pat contain eggs? I don't understand how the eggs curdle for custard on a boil, but not for a creme pat. Whats the difference between the 2? Genuinely interested, not that'd I'd ever attempt this!
  • BunionsBunions Posts: 15,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pac_girl wrote: »
    does a creme pat contain eggs? I don't understand how the eggs curdle for custard on a boil, but not for a creme pat. Whats the difference between the 2? Genuinely interested, not that'd I'd ever attempt this!
    Yes.

I would imagine that the flour/cornflour used, stabilises the eggs (you beat eggs, sugar and flour/cornflour together first, then add the hot milk).
  • susziesuszie Posts: 119
    Forum Member
    Everything seems to be falling into place for Tracy this week, immunity pin and a team challenge win.

Feel sorry for Brent the only team challenge he wins involved no elimination.
  • CaltonfanCaltonfan Posts: 6,311
    Forum Member
    Will put this in spoilers just in case anyone's had tv problems
    got to feel for Laura, a few times she has cooked the best dish on a team challenge and ended up losing.

Also found it odd that throughout the week Tracy has tried to save colin and Laura but throws them both under the bus by not picking them in team challenge.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Caltonfan wrote: »
    Will put this in spoilers just in case anyone's had tv problems
    got to feel for Laura, a few times she has cooked the best dish on a team challenge and ended up losing.

Also found it odd that throughout the week Tracy has tried to save colin and Laura but throws them both under the bus by not picking them in team challenge.

Yes, while they are no doubt friends (Laura literally leaped on her after she won her pin) that surprised me as well. Slightly amazed she doesn't rate Laura higher than Jamie for example. Her decision tonight, which I suspect will come down to choosing one of the two will be very interesting.
    Forum Member
    tracy has played a bit of a strange game this week

colin and laura have looked to be her friends in the house but when it came to handpicking her team for the team challenge she snubbed them , must be creating a bit of an atmosphere around the house
  • petertreepetertree Posts: 632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mimik1uk wrote: »
    tracy has played a bit of a strange game this week

colin and laura have looked to be her friends in the house but when it came to handpicking her team for the team challenge she snubbed them , must be creating a bit of an atmosphere around the house
    But then if their team had lost all of them would have been up against each other and Tracey could have played her pin, which would have lowered the odds for Colin and Laura. Tough decision.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36
    Forum Member
    The power apron thing has been an interesting little twist, but it's going on too long and has given way too much power to one individual. Even Tracey has looked embarrassed at times.

There should be some kind of facility for the other contestants to 'steal' the apron somehow. It offers such an advantage and opportunity for strategy and tactics that it would have been fun to watch them fighting over it.

After years of watching the judges announce "The winner of this mystery box will receive a HUGE advantage", only for said winner to have a lame choice of core ingredient, they seem to have gone from 1st gear to 6th in one foul swoop.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    petertree wrote: »
    But then if their team had lost all of them would have been up against each other and Tracey could have played her pin, which would have lowered the odds for Colin and Laura. Tough decision.

That's actually extremely plausible! Great thought.