Popular TV shows you don't like

Comments

• Sparklyblue171Sparklyblue171 Posts: 3,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Top Gear - doesn't appeal to me
    Big brother - gave up on it 2 years ago
    QI
    I'm starting to get bored with X Factor too..
  • Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glee (yet I liked the creator's previous show, Nip/Tuck)
    Friends
    Heartbeat/The Royal
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have watched the shows I don't like and given them a go so not doing that thing of trying to be cool and hating all the mainstream commercial stuff.

The Simpsons
    Family guy
    South park
    I don't like any of them. I didn't like cartoon or that adult type animation.

Ive tried to watch The Simpsons so many times and just nothing. I zone out. It was voted the best tv programme ever and it just passes me by.

Family guy doesnt make me laugh. It's meant to be like the funniest comedy and something that nearly everyone my age is meant to like. Don't get it.

Top gear I hear the word car and speed, it's like blah blah blah blah to me. I'm not bothered who is in the suit, or seeing them crashing cars, or the celebs on it either talking cars, but I know it is really popular with girls and boys.

Spooks. I have tried to like it and really think I should because it's about spy's and it always looks and feels cool, but I can't get into it. Also I love Hustle.
    There seems to be this thing that if you like Hustle then you must like spooks as well. I don't see why, apart from them being made by the same production team why are they supposed to both be liked as much as the other?

24. Like Spooks I really, really want to watch this and like it, but I see it on, go to watch it and end up nearly always switching it off.

Buffy and Angel. I have been made to watch these again and again by my friends who are convinced I will suddenly like it at some point, but I really don't and I don't even really want to like it as I do with 24 and Spooks, so leave me alone and stop force feeding me Buffy please.

The one show. A mix match of really bizarre fact based stories mixed with interviews, it never really works for me and I always turn it over whoever is presenting it.
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm A Celeb, the same boring thing for the last 8 years in a fake jungle with celebs who were last famous 20 years ago. Let's hope it does a Big Brother and gets cancelled soon.
  • AdamDowdsAdamDowds Posts: 2,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SaturnV wrote: »
    The title just says "you don't like", there's no point in trying to objectify your choice by giving your opinion as if it's fact.

There's lots of things I don't like but it doesn't make them rubbish.

I didn't say it was fact. I was just stating the shows I don't like.
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    (Excluding shows that have ended or been cancelled)

I'm indifferent to anything that isnt Dexter, True Blood, Modern Family, South Park, Futurama, American Dad or King of the Hill.
  • misha06misha06 Posts: 3,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dr Who after Christopher Ecclestone left

Soap Opera's

Friends

Gavin & Stacy
  • Jason100Jason100 Posts: 17,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Big Brother and X Factor.
  • paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member
    What are some of the popular TV shows you don't like or have just never been able to get into?

I can't stand 'The Office' I don't find it funny in the slightest.
    Also 'CSI' in any incarnation just bores me.
    I'm also quite bored of 'Friends' now too but thats probably cos I've seen them all so many times.

What are yours?

Big Brother - I detest it

Most modern talent shows - I would prefer they moved back to the old system of qtr-semi and final. you can still make all that dodgy money with people phoning in but don't this ripping to shreds of someone's dream.

Actually I would like to see all these shows where someone is voted off stopped. Take strictly which I do watch for the dancing - someone might be good at say Jive, but hopeless at quickstep. Why chuck someone off because the quickstep was first?

Better to have a league and see the person who is good at all the dances.
  • TrollheartTrollheart Posts: 5,093
    Forum Member
    This whole idea of "You/I should like/want to like" benuses me. If I watch a prog because everyone says it's great and I don't like it, nothing anyone else says is going to make me like it. I either like something because I'm interested in it or because I find it interesting. No-one makes up my mind as to what I watch, or should watch, and I think that's how it should be. We're all capable of making our own informed choices, and the whole "I should watch" idea is, I think, in some ways responsible for the slew of terrible TV shows that now plague our screens. People watch because it's "cool" or "the in-thing" (or whatever term the kids use these days, probably something like "sick" or "woo", god knows).

Look at something like the X-factor, or Big Brother, or any other popular show and really think about it: why do you watch it? Is it because it's genuinely good, or is it because everyone says it is? Or even, is it because all your friends watch and you don;t want to be left out? I'm not singling you out here as the one in question, just proposing a possible reason for the malaise that is slowly taking over our tellies. Some progs without question should never have been made (ahem --- Jedward) but they get watched because essentially people are TOLD to. That ain't right.

There are many progs people have told me I should watch, are great, I'm missing out etc, and I have had more than one occasion where I decided to try it, hated or did not like it, and left it at that. I don't try to rationalise why I didn;t like it and I certainly don't try to force myself to like it. So what if 99 people out of a 100, or 99,999 out of a 100,000 think it;s great? I'm an individual and I know what I like, so it doesnt bother me in the least that I'm seen as the only one who doesn't "get it". Maybe I know something the others don't. And even if I dont, well so what? I watch telly to enjoy it, not to keep up with the trends.

Just in brief then, let me tackle your experiences below.

kerry1681 wrote: »

Ive tried to watch The Simpsons so many times and just nothing. I zone out. It was voted the best tv programme ever and it just passes me by.
    I don't really know many people who don't watch the Simpsons, but if it's not your thing it's not your thing. Recent seasons have seen a sharp dip in quality so perhaps the earlier ones might suit, but again, if you don't get it you dont get it.
    Family guy doesnt make me laugh. It's meant to be like the funniest comedy and something that nearly everyone my age is meant to like. Don't get it.
    FG is populated with a lot of US-specific references, and yes, most of the time I would admit it's far from funny. There are some very funny moments (I think personally) but they are getting fewer and farther between as the seasons go on. A lot of it is in bad taste and there is an awful lot of repetition in it. Definitely not for everyone. PS If you hate this do NOT watch American Dad!
    [/quote]
    Top gear I hear the word car and speed, it's like blah blah blah blah to me. I'm not bothered who is in the suit, or seeing them crashing cars, or the celebs on it either talking cars, but I know it is really popular with girls and boys.
    I don't drive and also I hate Jeremy Clarkson, so I'd agree Top Gear is not a prog I would watch. It is highly popular, but then, so is Big Brother, so who is to say? Don't get its appeal personally, and I think tbh to get it you really need to drive or be into cars.
    Spooks. I have tried to like it and really think I should because it's about spy's and it always looks and feels cool, but I can't get into it. Also I love Hustle.
    Spooks I love, but it's a show you need to stick with. I fell in love with it first time I saw it, but if it doesn't ring your bell then that's fair enough. Hustle I love too.
    There seems to be this thing that if you like Hustle then you must like spooks as well. I don't see why, apart from them being made by the same production team why are they supposed to both be liked as much as the other?
    Where did you get that from? I never heard it, and anyone who espouses this idea may as well say that anyone who enjoys 24 should also enjoy Family Guy, as they're both made by Fox, but they are VASTLY different shows. Do not get that logic at all.
    24. Like Spooks I really, really want to watch this and like it, but I see it on, go to watch it and end up nearly always switching it off.
    24 can be very involved, but there's a lot of action. If you dont stick with it it won't impress you, but it does generally deserve its many awards and is one of my favourite shows, plus Kiefer has redefined the TV action hero. The story is like a web though, as strands spin off to weave new ones, and it can get very confusing if you don't pay attention, so maybe that's why you're not enjoying it. Or maybe it's not for you. You mention you like spy drama: can you name one you do like, as a for instance?
    Buffy and Angel. I have been made to watch these again and again by my friends who are convinced I will suddenly like it at some point, but I really don't and I don't even really want to like it as I do with 24 and Spooks, so leave me alone and stop force feeding me Buffy please.
    Are you interested in vampires or teens? If not then it's pointless people trying to "make you" watch Buffy, and less Angel. Again, watch what you want, not what other people want you to like. Of course, if someone turns you on to a show you end up loving, great, but someone trying constantly to persuade you to like something is only going to make you dig in more and hate it. And them.
    The one show. A mix match of really bizarre fact based stories mixed with interviews, it never really works for me and I always turn it over whoever is presenting it.
    Can't speak for this as I have no interest whatever in these sort of shows.

Don't know if any of that helped. Just remember, no-one can force you to watch anything you don't want to, and it's up to you to decide what you enjoy watching, not anyone else.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Love these threads. Where do I start? OK here goes:

All soaps
    X Factor
    Strictly Come Dancing
    Britain's Got Talent (got bored of it)
    Loose Women
    Jeremy Kyle
    This Morning
    All celeb trash on ITV2
    Most current gameshows
    Desperate Housewives
    Sex and the City
    Glee
    Lost
    The Office (don't find it funny)
    Little Britain
    Big Brother
    Friends
    Cookery shows
    Makeover shows
    Gossip Girl
    All the reality shows shown on MTV

May be back for Part 2
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,544
    Forum Member
    ashes to ashes
    friends
    heroes
    one tree hill
    neighbours
    little britain
    hollyoaks
    medical dramas
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    There are a few that I wouldn't choose to watch but if someone in my family wants to watch then I will tolerate watching it. One of those being Doctor Who. I don't really get it but I will watch it if need be.

One that I hate with a passion though is CSI. Any of them. My boyfriend and his family love it and for the first year I would sit there and watch it with them to be polite but then it got to the point where I was just cringing at it all the time. I especially hate CSI Miami where Horatio Caine, or God as he likes to think he is, has his laughable one liners and is constantly taking his sunglasses on and off. I just don't get why it's so entertaining. :confused:
  • AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hated Life on Mars and Ashes to Ashes, thought it was awful cliched nonsense.

Little Britain....just can't laugh

Dr Who, always see it as a kids show
  • WizardjWizardj Posts: 3,646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Friends
    Lost
    Glee
    Doctor Who
    Heartbeat
    Family Guy
    The Office
    Little Britain
    Skins
    Gavin & Stacey
    Shameless

Not to mention soaps, medical dramas, Big Brother, X Factor, Strictly etc and all daytime TV, as well as any reality shows on MTV... :mad:

and that's just for starters... :rolleyes:
  • Midnight RunnerMidnight Runner Posts: 1,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Friends
    Eastenders
    Emmerdale
    The One Show
    Top Gear
    Loose Women
    Jeremy Kyle
    This Morning
    My Family
    The Old Guys (worst 'comedy' I've ever seen)
    Little Britian
    Gavin and Stacey
    Lottery Shows
    Hole in the Wall
    Lost
    Anything with John Barrowman or Richard Hammond
    Heartbeat
    The Royal
    Dr Who
  • Button62Button62 Posts: 8,463
    Forum Member
    Anything that is remotely to do with :

Cooking
    DIY
    Buying or selling tat
    Buying or selling or renovating houses
    A load of boring people locked in a house for several weeks
    Colleen Nolan
    Living in a foreign country
    Bloody golf
    Pip (annoying little berk) Schofield
  • Sharon87Sharon87 Posts: 3,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lost
    All soaps
    Big Brother, I'm a Celeb, Strictly
    ITV2 rubbish - haven't watched it apart from movies and when they showed Supernatural.
    medical dramas
    Jeremy Kyle
    Most other current US shows apart from Supernatural/Smallville/South Park/Simpsons (hmm so none that don't start with an S... that's strange lol)

I'm not too fussy about TV programmes, but I do hate all the showbizzy stuff. I'll give most things a try (which is how I got into Buffy/Dr Who/Smallville). I am hoping X Factor picks up, last week's episode was terrible (and not just because of auto tune!). I usually like X Factor and BGT.
  • TabbythecatTabbythecat Posts: 33,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has to be Big Brother for me for paying Dippy Davina McShouty a fortune for doing nothing
  • shoulderduffshoulderduff Posts: 1,101
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mock the Week. I can`t stomach it IMHO pure and utter Sh*te.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cooking shows on a saturday morning
    GMTV
    The One Show
    Something For The Weekend
    Anything involving Katie Price or Peter Andre
    MTV "reality" shows like The Hills or Jersey Shore
    Any TV show involving trips to auction houses or the pricing of antiques.
  • c0boc0bo Posts: 6,468
    Forum Member
    Holby City
    Hollyoaks
    Neighbours
    Scrubs
    Friends
    Dr Who
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Top of the list:

Top Gear.

Why is it screened in the evening? It's obviously aimed at children or adults with the mental age of a child.
  • Fowl FaxFowl Fax Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Family Guy - Going downhill fast, too many repeated unfunny jokes.

X-Factor - Stopped watching years ago.

Big Brother - House full of loud tossers who like to get drunk.

Little Britain - No entertainment value at all.

Jeremy Kyle - Crap presenter along with crap chavtastic guests.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Trollheart wrote: »
    This whole idea of "You/I should like/want to like" benuses me. If I watch a prog because everyone says it's great and I don't like it, nothing anyone else says is going to make me like it. I either like something because I'm interested in it or because I find it interesting. No-one makes up my mind as to what I watch, or should watch, and I think that's how it should be. We're all capable of making our own informed choices, and the whole "I should watch" idea is, I think, in some ways responsible for the slew of terrible TV shows that now plague our screens. People watch because it's "cool" or "the in-thing" (or whatever term the kids use these days, probably something like "sick" or "woo", god knows).

That's the way I see it. I often enjoy looking for more obscure channels/shows that not many people have heard of or have interest in (even CNBC's more obscure 'cause it's really a niche channel aimed at the business world). Same with music, I sometimes search the net for more obscure and little-known stuff. Nobody tells me what to watch or listen to and I'm proud of that :D