Options

Oh no! The return of cringe gangsters on eastenders!

Comments

• Options
    eggshelleggshell Posts: 4,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't been this scared since Fleegle, Bingo, Drooper and Snorky.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=FtD4mn9CeH4&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DFtD4mn9CeH4
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mo mouse wrote: »
    That's why they are in a gang and we're not. We couldn't hack it. Did you see the way they kicked that wheelie bin over when they were running away from the shop. I was watching from behind my sofa.

LOL It was a wheelie bin, not a Dalek. ;);)

Should have been a Dalek though...shouldn't it ?

:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 150
    Forum Member
    The bald gangster leader guy looks really weird :eek:

Yeah I know. He looks like the love child of voldemort and gollum and a bit of DNA from Kane from the command and conquer series.
  • Options
    ally08ally08 Posts: 34,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hey now, it takes real guts to throw a brick through a car window, and kick a turnip. ;)

My absolute favourite bit was them making Liam walk along a wall, or whatever it was, haven't seen anything that daring since I was seven and my sister dared our next door neighbour to jump off the garage roof.

We were hardcore.

Eastenders are really terrible at this kind of thing, I don't know how we are supposed to believe that this gang of kids, who would have been bullied in Byker Grove for not being cool, are going to go from shoplifting sweeties to attempted murder.

The way that a whole estate is supposed to live in terror of them is laughable, there is only about four of them, never mind Dot, Ethel could have seen them off.
  • Options
    Rowan HedgeRowan Hedge Posts: 3,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    a toddler gang kickin it up in Mothercare would be more frightening to be honest
  • Options
    Milton JonesMilton Jones Posts: 2,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think your all missing the point, they're not meant to be scary they're meant to be a nuisance. And at least it has comedic value rather than watching jack and Sharon in yet another boring pointless argument. Or max having another kid with the dull Kirsty. Or Kat pulling faces. Or alfie roxy fat boy poppy and the masoods just generally being boring and pointless. Or Denise Ian Kim Patrick jean having boring pointless conversations taking upto 10 mins of screen time and filler.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think your all missing the point, they're not meant to be scary they're meant to be a nuisance. And at least it has comedic value rather than watching jack and Sharon in yet another boring pointless argument. Or max having another kid with the dull Kirsty. Or Kat pulling faces. Or alfie roxy fat boy poppy and the masoods just generally being boring and pointless. Or Denise Ian Kim Patrick jean having boring pointless conversations taking upto 10 mins of screen time and filler.

No I think they are supposed to be scary.

Why else are Bianca and Whitney running around trying to rescue Liam from them?

Why is the local community in such terror of them that no one will talk to the police?

The CID officer told Bianca they were nasty pieces of work.

They should be showing that rather than the comedy stuff they are showing.
  • Options
    WhiteShadeWhiteShade Posts: 388
    Forum Member
    I haven't watched this dross in a few years but my girlfriend forced me to sit through it the other night and I haven't laughed so much in years. It's very unlikely that you'll find a mixed race gang. They'd most likely be at each other's throats surely? I'm in my 20's and I've never heard anyone sound like they do. I live in Kent so not far from East London etc so I have some idea of how the yoof should sound.
  • Options
    ParoFlameParoFlame Posts: 697
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ally08 wrote: »
    Hey now, it takes real guts to throw a brick through a car window, and kick a turnip. ;)

My absolute favourite bit was them making Liam walk along a wall, or whatever it was, haven't seen anything that daring since I was seven and my sister dared our next door neighbour to jump off the garage roof.

We were hardcore.

Eastenders are really terrible at this kind of thing, I don't know how we are supposed to believe that this gang of kids, who would have been bullied in Byker Grove for not being cool, are going to go from shoplifting sweeties to attempted murder.

The way that a whole estate is supposed to live in terror of them is laughable, there is only about four of them, never mind Dot, Ethel could have seen them off.

:D:D:D

Yeah, I can't take the gang seriously. I'm cringing through some of their scenes.
    Not enjoying this storyline at all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Do you get me blud?
  • Options
    ArtyAttackArtyAttack Posts: 67,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    eggshell wrote: »
    I haven't been this scared since Fleegle, Bingo, Drooper and Snorky.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=FtD4mn9CeH4&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DFtD4mn9CeH4

That brings back memories. If only I was watching that again instead of this ridiculous storyline.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Last nights episode felt like a hybrid of Grange Hill and The Bill...two shows cancelled years ago :(

Its difficult as the writers hands are tied as dialogue goes, they cant talk how real people would talk, perhaps giving one of them a status dog might help insert some menace, less cringe scenes with Liam being praised and 'oh my days lee-AM that was like well wicked' stuff - just comes across as what it is - forced and false :/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm pretty sure that the other day one of the gang members said to Liam, if we are going to be together you have to toe the line, or words to that effect, sounded less like gang camaradrie and more like teenager lovers.

Now that would be a twist, they want Liam in the gang because he is so pretty. ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is that what a "gang" in London is? They seem to me to just be more like ill educated, badly behaved, trouble casuing teenagers.

I would think most real gangs up and down the country are feeling rather short changed at being portrayed by those muppets.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is that what a "gang" in London is? They seem to me to just be more like ill educated, badly behaved, trouble casuing teenagers.

I would think most real gangs up and down the country are feeling rather short changed at being portrayed by those muppets.

Exactly, they are like the gangs of wannabee hard men who hang about outside of shops trying to get someone to buy them cheap booze.

I'm not sure what they are getting at with this move into ultra violence though, thousands of parents whose teenage boys are currently going through the Jamaican accent, low slung trousers phase are probably crapping themselves that their kids are in imminent danger of getting stabbed.

What is sad though is that gangs are a real, if exaggerated, problem and Eastenders are coping out of showing it in a realistic manner.
  • Options
    haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know why you are all so down on the gang. They are supposed to be pathetic disaffected teenagers not the real mafia. The menance comes from the fact that they are silly kids carrying knives egging each other on to do stupid things. Kane should have a staffie of course to prove he's the big leader but their cringeworthy antics / shoplifting etc. seems to be what you would expect from a group of 14/15 year olds.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    haphash wrote: »
    I don't know why you are all so down on the gang. They are supposed to be pathetic disaffected teenagers not the real mafia. The menance comes from the fact that they are silly kids carrying knives egging each other on to do stupid things. Kane should have a staffie of course to prove he's the big leader but their cringeworthy antics / shoplifting etc. seems to be what you would expect from a group of 14/15 year olds.

That is a fair point, what doesn't ring true is the rest of it, everyone being terrified, a seemingly streetwise person like Ava acting like they are the Triads, the police complaining about a conspiracy of silence etc.

They can't have it both ways, they can't show them as a gang of daft kids who would probably get on peoples nerves but not much else and then try and ramp up the drama by acting like Liam is signing up to some kind of satanic cult.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WhiteShade wrote: »
    I haven't watched this dross in a few years but my girlfriend forced me to sit through it the other night and I haven't laughed so much in years. It's very unlikely that you'll find a mixed race gang. They'd most likely be at each other's throats surely? I'm in my 20's and I've never heard anyone sound like they do. I live in Kent so not far from East London etc so I have some idea of how the yoof should sound.

I'm a bit confused by your post. What makes you think black and white do not mix in London? I've seen no evidence of kids keeping to a 'colour bar'.

As for the way they speak unfortunately that forced accent is how many teenagers talk now. Its all put on to be cool and sounds ridiculous to anyone over the age of 20 but I hear it everyday. Of course in real life there would be liberal swearing chucked in but EE aren't allowed to do this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm a White British/English caucasian male and it really puzzles me as to why males of other races who've got ancestry that most likely descended from slavery & war-torn countries would go around killing each other? It probably sounds like ignorance on my part but why would you want to be apart of it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm a bit confused by your post. What makes you think black and white do not mix in London? I've seen no evidence of kids keeping to a 'colour bar'.

As for the way they speak unfortunately that forced accent is how many teenagers talk now. Its all put on to be cool and sounds ridiculous to anyone over the age of 20 but I hear it everyday. Of course in real life there would be liberal swearing chucked in but EE aren't allowed to do this.

I ignorantly assumed going on my schooling experience at a state school that kids still more or less associated themselves with peers of their own race? That's how it was in my day anyway.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I wonder if it is a London thing because none of the youth seem to speak like that up in Yorkshire, they just grunt and swear a lot:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Although the Asian community more or less stick together than any other race to be fair. I'm not saying I've never seen any black & white mixed groups though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if it is a London thing because none of the youth seem to speak like that up in Yorkshire, they just grunt and swear a lot:D

I dunno, I bumped into someone I went to school with a couple of years ago and he was talking like someone from a Jamaican shanty town.

In the lovely north east of England it seemed quite odd, everyone just seemed to accept it though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WhiteShade wrote: »
    I'm a White British/English caucasian male and it really puzzles me as to why males of other races who've got ancestry that most likely descended from slavery & war-torn countries would go around killing each other? It probably sounds like ignorance on my part but why would you want to be apart of it?

I don't think ancestry has anything to do with it. Only kids with strong parents guiding them can rise above living in poverty on a sink estate. All they see around them otherwise is lack of hope and aspiration. Crime becomes a way of life to get money and most start with the petty stuff.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Unfortunately It is the current street accent used in London by teenagers. I know it sounds absolutely laughable to outsiders but the young will not use a cockney accent now - that is old fashioned.

Kids who can speak completely normally adopt it as soon as their parents are out of the room and everything is 'well sick'.