Options

Grammy Awards 2014

1235»

Comments

• Options
    LolaSveltLolaSvelt Posts: 2,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Katy Perry is the Amy Adams/Glenn Close of the Grammys. Except marginally less talented.

She must be pissed that a 16 year old Kiwi beat her to the punch with her first attempt.
  • Options
    MrMarpleMrMarple Posts: 3,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Overall the show was really disappointing. Even my girl Pink has left me underwhelmed.

Madonna could have done with not being there, especially if this doesn't lead into anything.

I surprisingly liked all of the country acts. Will have to check them out.[/QUOTE]

The Kacey Musgraves album is fantastic. Well worth a listen if you get a chance.
  • Options
    shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I found myself cringing at Beyonce and Jay-Z. Disappointed but not shocked that she mimed. For me, the highlights were Pink, Taylor Swift and the Same Love performance.
    Pink I wasn't impressed by...we've seen her do the whole singing while in the air thing before...it was nothing new and I thought it was a bit pointless.

I've seen a few people say this. We see everyone else just stand around and sing over and over again in every performance and not change things up, and people don't say that it's boring or has been done before. So Pink did something different. The last time she did it to this scale outside of her tours was 4 years ago at The Grammys. That performance was a snippet of what she does on her tours, and she took the opportunity to show people who don't know what she's about, what she does. The only similarity to the Glitter In The Air performance was that the silks were involved. It was a different routine, different theme and completely different song. And she sang live. I don't see that it was pointless.
  • Options
    Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shelleyj89 wrote: »
    I found myself cringing at Beyonce and Jay-Z. Disappointed but not shocked that she mimed.

Beyonce didn't mime, and it was very obvious that she didn't mime.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've seen a few people say this. We see everyone else just stand around and sing over and over again in every performance and not change things up, and people don't say that it's boring or has been done before. So Pink did something different. The last time she did it to this scale outside of her tours was 4 years ago at The Grammys. That performance was a snippet of what she does on her tours, and she took the opportunity to show people who don't know what she's about, what she does. The only similarity to the Glitter In The Air performance was that the silks were involved. It was a different routine, different theme and completely different song. And she sang live. I don't see that it was pointless.

I disagree. It was nothing knew. Not only has she done the whole dancing in the air thing before, but she's done it before at The Grammy's. Would have much prefered if she had done a full on performance of Just Give Me A Reason. I'm not saying she wasn't good, beacause she was, but it's not very creative to just repeat what she previously did. Ok, it was a different song and a different routine, but after you've seen her do it once the novelty wears off. It's The Grammy's...the biggest night in the music world, yet she chose to just repeat soemthing she has doen before. As an artist, she should have been a lot more creative.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

To me it seemed like she was clearly miming, and I saw many comments online from others who thought the same.
    I disagree. It was nothing knew. Not only has she done the whole dancing in the air thing before, but she's done it before at The Grammy's. Would have much prefered if she had done a full on performance of Just Give Me A Reason. I'm not saying she wasn't good, beacause she was, but it's not very creative to just repeat what she previously did. Ok, it was a different song and a different routine, but after you've seen her do it once the novelty wears off. It's The Grammy's...the biggest night in the music world, yet she chose to just repeat soemthing she has doen before. As an artist, she should have been a lot more creative.

I said she'd done the silks at the Grammys before. That's the only other time on this scale, outside of her tours, that she has done it though. Like I said, it's ok for a singer to just stand and sing over and over again and that's not repetitive, but Pink does the silks again (after only doing it once before on a show like this) and she should be more creative? I dno't get the logic. She did something different to what everyone else does. Performances like that are what she does on tour, so she was showing everyone else what she does. Personally, the novelty of seeing her perform, no matter how she does it, will never where off for me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    P!nk was by far the best vocally while she was still upside down! Beyonce was clearly miming while she was on the chair which is incredibly disappointing, but I was impressed with Taylor Swift - better than Katy Perry by far

Best performance however belonged to Lorde - she created such an atmosphere and deserved the awards she won
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To me it seemed like she was clearly miming, and I saw many comments online from others who thought the same.

Persoanlly, I thought it was obvious that she wasn't miming. She's done performances a hell of a lot more energetic than that on her tours and she sings live. I think it's more a case of people thinking she mimed because she sounded so good. I've seen comments online saying that Pink mimed because "no way could she sing while spinning in the air like that". But I know she's capable of it.

I said she'd done the silks at the Grammys before. That's the only other time on this scale, outside of her tours, that she has done it though. Like I said, it's ok for a singer to just stand and sing over and over again and that's not repetitive, but Pink does the silks again (after only doing it once before on a show like this) and she should be more creative? I dno't get the logic. She did something different to what everyone else does. Performances like that are what she does on tour, so she was showing everyone else what she does. Personally, the novelty of seeing her perform, no matter how she does it, will never where off for me.

But the whole silks/dancing in the air thing is just repeating what she's done before. It's amazing that she can do it, but it's been done. The first time she did it at The Grammy's it was amazing, and I'm not saying it wasn't good the second time around, but we've seen it all before. She wasn't providing us with anything we haven't seen before. She was just spinning around to a different song. Fair enough if you're a big fan and you're going to see her on tour...you'd expect to see this as part of the tour. But for a show like The Grammy's I would have thought she'd have been a bit more creative and done soemthing different. Look at other artists like Taylor Swift, Beyonce, Katy Perry (even though I don't like her)...each done something different to what they've done perform...whether a huge production or a more simple performance, each one felt new different. With Pink, it was a bit like "Oh, you're doing that again". I've read comments online with a lot of other people saying the same thing.
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am watching the highlights on Channel 4 and i don't understand why they have edited a 3 and a half hour how into just 90 minutes, they seem to be missing a lot out which is annoying.

Ran 130 minutes on 4Music from 9pm.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Persoanlly, I thought it was obvious that she wasn't miming. She's done performances a hell of a lot more energetic than that on her tours and she sings live. I think it's more a case of people thinking she mimed because she sounded so good. I've seen comments online saying that Pink mimed because "no way could she sing while spinning in the air like that". But I know she's capable of it.

No, I thought she mimed because it looked like she was miming. Pink didn't mime though, she never does, so I'm not sure why you've used her as a comparison.

But the whole silks/dancing in the air thing is just repeating what she's done before. It's amazing that she can do it, but it's been done. The first time she did it at The Grammy's it was amazing, and I'm not saying it wasn't good the second time around, but we've seen it all before. She wasn't providing us with anything we haven't seen before. She was just spinning around to a different song. Fair enough if you're a big fan and you're going to see her on tour...you'd expect to see this as part of the tour. But for a show like The Grammy's I would have thought she'd have been a bit more creative and done soemthing different. Look at other artists like Taylor Swift, Beyonce, Katy Perry (even though I don't like her)...each done something different to what they've done perform...whether a huge production or a more simple performance, each one felt new different. With Pink, it was a bit like "Oh, you're doing that again". I've read comments online with a lot of other people saying the same thing.

She's done it ONCE before on a show like this, as I keep saying. It's hardly like every performance she does outside of her concerts involves the silks or trapeze acts. She has done plenty of other performances where she hasn't incorporated the silks or trapeze acts. The people you mentioned all did performances similar to things they have done before, and in the style they more often than not do them. None of them felt new to me. Neither did Pink's, but I just don't subscribe to the belief that she wasn't creative enough. It was extremely creative.

Anywho, I think we're going round in circles so I'm going to bow out now :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, I thought she mimed because it looked like she was miming. Pink didn't mime though, she never does, so I'm not sure why you've used her as a comparison.

I could say the exact same thing about Pink though. Neither Pink or Beyonce mimed, and neither of them ever mime (the whole Beyonce mimimg controversey was completely exaggerated by the media...they only ever played a snippet of the press conference on the news when it was in fact about 15/20 minutes long. They chose to ignore the part where she explained what happened...the production of the event was rushed and when she arrived on the day everyone else had a chance to sound check with the orchestra but she didn't...so she sang LIVE over a backing track. Perfectly valid explanation in my opinion, but thought i'd better get that in before you start throwing that in like most people do without actually doing their research).

She's done it ONCE before on a show like this, as I keep saying. It's hardly like every performance she does outside of her concerts involves the silks or trapeze acts. She has done plenty of other performances where she hasn't incorporated the silks or trapeze acts. The people you mentioned all did performances similar to things they have done before, and in the style they more often than not do them. None of them felt new to me. Neither did Pink's, but I just don't subscribe to the belief that she wasn't creative enough. It was extremely creative.

Anywho, I think we're going round in circles so I'm going to bow out now :)

Looks like we'll just have to agree to disagree then, but I thought it was boring and a bit same old, same old.
  • Options
    Toy_HeroToy_Hero Posts: 11,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I could say the exact same thing about Pink though. Neither Pink or Beyonce mimed, and neither of them ever mime (the whole Beyonce mimimg controversey was completely exaggerated by the media...they only ever played a snippet of the press conference on the news when it was in fact about 15/20 minutes long. They chose to ignore the part where she explained what happened...the production of the event was rushed and when she arrived on the day everyone else had a chance to sound check with the orchestra but she didn't...so she sang LIVE over a backing track. Perfectly valid explanation in my opinion, but thought i'd better get that in before you start throwing that in like most people do without actually doing their research).

I'll go as far as saying half the performance was live. If she was singing over a backing track, she was sure as hell whispering. When someone sings over a backing track, you can hear the backing vocals mixed with live vocals, unless Beyonce is that in sync with her own voice. It's obvious she mimed over pre-recorded vocals up until the point of Jay-Z coming out, then she was more than likely singing live. I'm not knocking Beyonce because everybody and their dog knows Beyonce kills it live. But the first half was not her raw vocals we were hearing. Considering she had the microphone pushed up against her lips mostly when on the chair, and then as the stage rotated, she went to drop the mic and then pulled it back to her lips quickly while still holding a note.

Funny enough, even her body language gave me the impression she was lipsyncing the beginning. Engulfed in darkness, and flashing red lights on her face didn't help dispel the miming rumours either.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

it looked like she mimed the chair part...then sang live towards the end when she was with jayz..but who cares anyway, we all know she can sing :)
  • Options
    tim18tim18 Posts: 737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I follow p!nk and have watched tour videos etc. yes the grammy performance was nothing new to me as she performed try like that on tour. However when i showed my brother and mum they were SHOCKED at how talented she was doing the whole ariel acrobatics and singing live (they dont follow her). The chorus had a backing track which she clearly sang over. Her duet with nate was a bit all over the place. She looked knackered.

I cant believe we are even debating this, katy perry sang bad as usual. Beyonce had clearly mimed some parts of her performance, you can actually see one part where she takes the microphone away from her mouth and the singing track is still going. Lorde was off constantly. P!nk performed better than the other women.

Anyone else bit sick of taylor swift? She performs on every award show!!
  • Options
    ali1234ali1234 Posts: 1,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tim18 wrote: »
    I follow p!nk and have watched tour videos etc. yes the grammy performance was nothing new to me as she performed try like that on tour. However when i showed my brother and mum they were SHOCKED at how talented she was doing the whole ariel acrobatics and singing live (they dont follow her). The chorus had a backing track which she clearly sang over. Her duet with nate was a bit all over the place. She looked knackered.

I cant believe we are even debating this, katy perry sang bad as usual. Beyonce had clearly mimed some parts of her performance, you can actually see one part where she takes the microphone away from her mouth and the singing track is still going. Lorde was off constantly. P!nk performed better than the other women.

Anyone else bit sick of taylor swift? She performs on every award show!!

Me. Taylor ls bland.

Pink definitely was the best female of the night despite people thinking she didn't do anything new. She did what she does WELL - that's more than can be said about some of the others. I'm glad she was given the time to do two songs. If anyone deserves it after the year they've had, it's her.

It's insane how talented and respected she is, yet how she is unable to win awards on American shows. She catered to them more than ever this era. Try video was made to dominate the VMAs, yet they nominated just give me a reason, which saw her leave pretty much empty handed. What a shame. It's so clear through her husband Carey's tweets that he hurts for her.

Beyonce can sing. Beyonce can sing live. But Beyonce mimed on Sunday.

This snow needed some Gaga circa 2011. Can you believe it was 4 years ago that her, pink and Beyoncé all did flawless performances on the same night?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Music award shows are becoming very stale and repetitive. Where are all the male performers? I wish Usher, Bruno, heck, even JT could have performed. Lorde is boring. Kendrick lamar was robbed. There's a lack of star quality, even Beyonce was underwhelming. We need some fresh new innovative talent in the music industry that will change the game? I'm bored!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aries_123 wrote: »
    wheres Rihanna tonight?!? is she not nominated for anything?

I know, Diamonds should have been nominated for song of the year.
  • Options
    ali1234ali1234 Posts: 1,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Music award shows are becoming very stale and repetitive. Where are all the male performers? I wish Usher, Bruno, heck, even JT could have performed. Lorde is boring. Kendrick lamar was robbed. There's a lack of star quality, even Beyonce was underwhelming. We need some fresh new innovative talent in the music industry that will change the game? I'm bored!

to be fair more males did it than 4music actually showed.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 316
    Forum Member
    I know, Diamonds should have been nominated for song of the year.
    Diamonds couldn't be nominated, because it was released during the previous year's submission time, making it ineligible for the 2014 Grammys.

She did win for Unapologetic, though. Three albums too late, but whatever. :)
  • Options
    ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Loved Metallica with the pianist! Glad to see them getting to perform on the Grammys again, they deserve it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The American award shows need to stop relying on Katy, Rihanna, GaGa, Pink, Beyonce, Britney, Alicia, Taylor, Madonna etc and get some new talent. I get that they're all big names but we need some fresh faces in pop. :( It's the same big acts year after year.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,271
    Forum Member
    Never thought i'd see members of the beyhive on DS. Sadly it looks like i have.