Is 'BEYONCE' better than I Am...Sasha Fierce?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,177
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just a question I had - haven't yet listened to BEYONCE but have read reviews saying it's her best solo album, but does it actually better I Am... and why?

I like the majority of songs on I Am..., it's a very solid pop/R&B album, the only tracks I've heard from BEYONCE are XO and Drunk In Love; i LOVE XO but DIL doesn't really do anything for me, so yeah is BEYONCE actually, really better than I Am... or is this rated as better because of the way it was released?

Thanks.

Comments

• LandslideBradLandslideBrad Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    Far better but it doesn't have any obvious singles like I Am... did.

I think 4 is still her best album though,
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 316
    Forum Member
    IMO, they can't really be compared. I Am... had more commercial songs with a clear mix of pop/R&B, where BEYONCÉ experiments with those genres, and the production is really understated.
    That said, BEYONCÉ has some amazing songs on it. Blue, Heaven, XO, Rocket and Blow are all really great in my opinion.
  • Aura101Aura101 Posts: 8,327
    Forum Member
    For me its not.
    Purely because there are no 'sweet dreams' on there.

Still a good album nevertheless.
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,916
    Forum Member
    I'm not a massive fan of R'n'B but I like "BEYONCE" the more that I listen to it. I listen to this album far more than I listen to "I Am...Sasha Fierce". In some ways "BEYONCE" reminds me of the "Sasha Fierce" part of the album which I've always preferred to the "I Am..." section.
  • gelbma0991gelbma0991 Posts: 4,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll probably have to revisit my opinion on this when it's been out the same amount of time, but personally with the style of the album (production, vocals, etc), I much prefer it to IASF... I mean I liked that album a lot when it came out but it's still my least ranked Bey album (not coz it's bad, just because I listen to the others more)
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, Yes, Yes her past two albums have trumped her first three in every respect. IASf is an overrated pile of tosh utter dross save for the singles.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Neither are better than 4. I think 4 is Beyoncés best album to date
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I haven't listened to I Am... but I must say I was really impressed with her latest album even though I'm normally a casual Beyonce fan.
  • Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you're looking for hit singles like Crazy In Love, Sweet Dreams, Halo etc then the album won't be for you. The purpose of the album was for it to be viewed as a body of work, hence the reason she released it with the videos for each track all at once and with no lead single. I think it's her best album to date, but it's hard to pick a favourite really as each album is completely different. I think this is my favourite though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thanks for your replies :) I like 4 as well, but I used IASF as an album of hers to compare to because i'm pretty sure (correct me if i'm wrong) this was her most commercially successful solo album, and I think with BEYONCE already going platinum does it deserve to be credited as her best work or is it just because of how it was released? For instance if 4 was released in a similar way to BEYONCE, would that have been considered her best work?

Just a query i had lol - i think its quite interesting :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,899
    Forum Member
    TBH, 4 is actually rubbish and nothing stands out in that album. IASF was a great album and BEYONCE is also too despite there's some songs on BEYONCE I don't like. But for me, IASF is better than BEYONCE.
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sasha Fierce flattens Yonce in a TKO.
  • TreyCTreyC Posts: 707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No. I am a huge Beyoncè fan, but I found '4' and 'I Am Sasha Fierce' better albums than 'Beyoncè'. I believe the only reason Beyoncè's latest album has been big is because the people have been thirsty for music from her for years. When Grown Woman dropped everyone got excited.. I find the album quite disappointing and believe she's trying to be a female Jay Z. I miss her sassyness, wish she would say goodbye to the HYPE hats and bring back her divaness.
  • digichantdigichant Posts: 3,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Way better. In my opinion, IASF is the worst of the lot.. so many of the songs were filler and in general it just wasn't great.
  • MikePJBMikePJB Posts: 5,514
    Forum Member
    I love all her albums, I Am... is a great album, I loved it, but I think out of all her albums it's probably the one I've played least. So for that reason I think BEYONCE is better. There are less hit singles on BEYONCE, which may turn some people off, but it's a great body of work, which is what she intended.

I can't get enough of Drunk In Love at the moment, such a tune. I'm finding that some people who weren't fussed about her are into her now.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Difficult to compare, as neither albums are alike

I would put BEYONCE against Dangerously in love. I Am is more pop, while BEYONCE is much more Urban and a throwback to her debut.

It would be like putting Madonna's ray of light against Madonna's True blue. Two totally different albums.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    'BEYONCE' is incomparable with her other work. It's her artistic statement.

IASF is the album that commercial pop fans like more.
  • spaceygalspaceygal Posts: 3,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I prefer IASF and it's wonderful melodies. So much of BEYONCE is just tuneless and monotonous to me.
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spaceygal wrote: »
    I prefer IASF and it's wonderful melodies. So much of BEYONCE is just tuneless and monotonous to me.

Not to mention the beat in Drunk In Love and Partition are pretty much the exact same....that is just lazy>:(
  • Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Makson wrote: »
    Not to mention the beat in Drunk In Love and Partition are pretty much the exact same....that is just lazy>:(

What?! Are you sure you've listened to the songs? The beat is completely different!!
  • MikePJBMikePJB Posts: 5,514
    Forum Member
    That's what I was gonna say, both songs are different. They both have a deep bassline, that's about it.

Like some have mentioned, it's true, both are very different albums so it is hard to compare them.

Happy to see that the album is still in the Top 5 in the UK album chart and that Drunk In Love is No.2 on the US Billboard chart. Hopefully it reaches No.1, one of my favourite songs form her.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,195
    Forum Member
    No. Not to me it isn't.
  • Pele-thefiregoddessPele-thefiregoddess Posts: 6,170
    Forum Member
    her last 3 albums have been so much more cohesive than albums previously...
    all great for different reasons
  • HugoLottHugoLott Posts: 168
    Forum Member
    Yes, definitely! They are just so good! (Apart from No Angel, it's too high for her...)
  • scratchy23scratchy23 Posts: 3,675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IASF has more hits on it, but BEYONCE is the better 'album' I think.

Regardless though I think 4 is her strongest album. Every track is stunning.