Preview of Day of The Doctor

rr22rr22 Posts: 7,618
Forum Member
Does anyone have theories on the paintings.

I do think given interviews and bluffs that these will be the Doctors. They look like figures advancing when Matt scans the painting.

I think these are the figures of 4 to 7

Comments

• sheffieldersheffielder Posts: 953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Something strange has obviously happened with all the paintings, not just the ones where figures have escaped - in the preview clip Clara walks past a painting with Cybermen in it, and there is the painting of
    Gallifrey
    from the "that's impossible" clip...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was wondering if they were still inside the Doctor's time stream or something, or inside his head/memories, and walking around in there and looking at memories. I don't think it will be that now, putting some other things together, but just a thought that sprang to mind when I was first watching.
  • rr22rr22 Posts: 7,618
    Forum Member
    Something strange has obviously happened with all the paintings, not just the ones where figures have escaped - in the preview clip Clara walks past a painting with Cybermen in it, and there is the painting of
    Gallifrey
    from the "that's impossible" clip...

I must watch more closely!
  • garbage456garbage456 Posts: 8,225
    Forum Member
    the bit with john hurt in what looks like a desert could quite easily of been a painting.
  • KoquillionKoquillion Posts: 1,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well now...theories about paintings.

I think the paintings we have seen so far are not on general view but kept in a limited access gallery, a sort of Gabinetto Segreto. The Doctor and Clara are shown the 'that's not possible' painting first and I think it's in 3D. Clara moves her head slightly when she's says 'that's not possible' as if she is gauging depth. I think it is this, more than the subject matter, that establishes Elizibeths 'credentials'. How could a painting from 1562 be in 3D?
    Next, our pair are taken to see the three paintings that have broken glass. Before they get there they pass through another 'gallery of the anochronistic' were the Doctor gets his fez. In there we see two more paintings.
    First we see Rembrandts 'De Staalmeesters'. It is out of focus so we cannot make out the figures, but there are six people depicted and it is described as Rembrandts 'last great collective portrait'. The real painting is in Amsterdam so why is it there? If this is a gallery of weird stuff that needs to be hidden then there must be a reason for it. Is this an in joke referring to the six surving Doctor's not (so far revealed as being) in Day of The Doctor? The English name is ' The Syndics of the Cloth Makers'. Have we had a cloth pulled over our eyes about Classic Doctor involvement?
    When the Doctor is getting his fez out of the display case, Clara is looking at a painting. It is Gericaults 'Raft of the Medusa', only it isn't, because instead of the human survivors of a horrific ship wreck, the painting is of a raft full of Cybermen! The tragic tale of this painting fascinated me as a child. The survivors resorted to cannibalism, often obtaining their 'food' by murdering other survivors, reminiscent of the Cyberman use of humans for their own survival. The original shows the point where the survivors spotted the British frigate that rescued them. Does this painting represent refugees from the time war? 'Medusa Cascade','Raft of the Medusa'...seems too much of coincidence! Who painted it and why make a copy of a human historical event, replacing people with Cybermen?
    Moving into the gallery with the broken glass, the Doctor notes that the glass is broken from the inside and is given a tablet that shows the painting before it smashed and there is a figure that is no longer present in the painting. Something, or someone, has broken out...
    Clara also says '3D again', which makes me think the 'that's not possible' painting is in 3D. Is the figure the War Doctor or something or someone even more sinister? Are the paintings somehow windows into the Time War or The Doctors time stream? If things can get out of paintings, can things get in? Is that what is unusual about 'De Staalmeesters', six trapped figures...Doctors 4 to 9?
    The 'time portal' thingy then opens and the Doctor throws in the fez. The other end appears to be in 1562. Perhaps the fez gets left there and eventually ends up in the 'gallery of the anachronistic' for the Doctor to pick up and throw, making it the most paradoxical fez in existence!
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

oddly enough it was only when they repeated it on the CIN compilation show last night that I even noticed the cybermen.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    oddly enough it was only when they repeated it on the CIN compilation show last night that I even noticed the cybermen.

Deliberate misdirection! The Doctor is pratting about with his fez so we don't focus on that. First time watching I noticed it was ' Raft' and thought it was weird because a) the original is in the Louvre b) the original is about four times bigger, so I specifically paused it on second watch to see if there was anything unusual...and how!
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Koquillion wrote: »
    Deliberate misdirection! The Doctor is pratting about with his fez so we don't focus on that. First time watching I noticed it was ' Raft' and thought it was weird because a) the original is in the Louvre b) the original is about four times bigger, so I specifically paused it on second watch to see if there was anything unusual...and how!

yeah, hiding something in plain sight, as it were….
  • GoatyGoaty Posts: 7,776
    Forum Member

Interesting! And anyone notice the Weeping Angel's head?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Goaty wrote: »
    Interesting! And anyone notice the Weeping Angel's head?

That's a bust of Einstein!
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Koquillion wrote: »
    That's a bust of Einstein!

Einstein was a Weeping Angel :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Regarding the 'De Staalmeesters' Painting. I can't see it being the older Doctors as even though I can see the 11th ignoring it to go look at the Fez I would have thought Clara would do a double take like she does with the Cyberman Painting.

It's possible of course that prior to this scene they have seen other Paintings (or statues) featuring the older Doctors so one more is of little interest.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Corwin wrote: »
    Regarding the 'De Staalmeesters' Painting. I can't see it being the older Doctors

Oh I completely agree, my post is nothing more than idle whimsy!

But both paintings are very famous and highly recognisable and have obviously been chosen for a reason. Given that they have commissioned a Cyberman parody of 'Raft', placed it next to 'De Staal...' in the context of a 'secret gallery' and then released that particular clip as a preview cannot be an accident, surely?

I am slightly concerned that I am developing 'Rory's Badge Syndrom' over a Rembrandt!!

Matron...more happy pills please!