Options

Slightly odd PS2 question

lionsof66lionsof66 Posts: 4,560
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Would therre be any reason as to why a certain game wouldn't work on my PS2?

Reason I ask: I ordered Guitar Hero 5 off of Play a few weeks back and when it arrived it froze on the loading screen and wouldn't play. I figured I just got unlucky with a bad copy and sent it back for an exchange (ordered a bunch of stuff over the years with Play.com with no issues so wasn't concerned at all)

My new copy arrived today and does exactly the same thing, but all my other games work absolutley fine.

There's no sign of damage to the disc (and wasn't on the first copy) and even discs that have got slightly scratched or whatever over the years still work fine, yet this freezes in exactly the same place.

And I know they couldn't have mistakenly sent me back the exact same copy because obviously I took the cellophane off the first copy to put it in to play, and the second one was wrapped in cellophane as well.

Any suggestions as to what it could be?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could you not return that one to Play and then try a different website to see if the same happens with their copies?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Craig // wrote: »
    Could you not return that one to Play and then try a different website to see if the same happens with their copies?

I could I suppose, but the reason I tend to buy from Play is to get it cheaper than in the shops, by time ive paid the postage to send it back twice id have probably have been better off just nipping into town to get it. Wouldn't have had to wait a month to play it eithier.

Just seems bizzare that one game will not play, and ive probably ordered 50 or so items from Play over the years without one single problem... what are the odds of them sending me something that doesn't work twice in a row?

Only thing I can think of, is to go one of my mates who also has a PS2 and see if it works on theres, but even it does, one would assume that would mean the problem is with my actual console... but that wouldn't make any sense as my 20-30 other games all work just fine :confused:
  • Options
    jim_ukjim_uk Posts: 13,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lionsof66 wrote: »
    I could I suppose, but the reason I tend to buy from Play is to get it cheaper than in the shops, by time ive paid the postage to send it back twice id have probably have been better off just nipping into town to get it. Wouldn't have had to wait a month to play it eithier.

Just seems bizzare that one game will not play, and ive probably ordered 50 or so items from Play over the years without one single problem... what are the odds of them sending me something that doesn't work twice in a row?

Only thing I can think of, is to go one of my mates who also has a PS2 and see if it works on theres, but even it does, one would assume that would mean the problem is with my actual console... but that wouldn't make any sense as my 20-30 other games all work just fine :confused:

It could be a dodgy batch, I had a similar thing happen with COD4 on the 360. In the end I swapped it for the PS3 version to be sure I didn't get another dud.
  • Options
    Snake_EaterSnake_Eater Posts: 918
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is very unlikley they disk is faulty. Try cleaning your ps2 lens.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sounds like a dodgy PS2 lens. My old PS2 just would not read some games. GTA San Andreas springs to mind, I tried 3 different discs and it just did not like them but all my other games worked fine.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IS it a blue disc cos when Ps2's start to go they have trouble reading them.
  • Options
    fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why not try the disk out on a friends PS2? If it works, then your PS2 is at fault, if it doesn't work then it's the disk that has a problem.
  • Options
    cheekyanguscheekyangus Posts: 1,149
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why not try the disk out on a friends PS2? If it works, then your PS2 is at fault, if it doesn't work then it's the disk that has a problem.

That's not exactly foolproof is it? What if his friend's PS2 has a hardware problem too.....

I'm not saying not to try it, I would try it. It's just that if a second PS2 doesn't read the disc a third PS2 should be tried (if possible) before deciding it's the disc. Given most people will have had their PS2's for a while, two machines having a problem is fairly likely.

Three machines in a row having a problem with a disc is very unlikely and therefore in my opinion sufficient to prove the duff disc.

If you rule out the disc I'd try cleaning the lens.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So just to clarify, it is possible that the lens needs cleaning, but could still play some games?

Okay il give that a go. Thanks :)
  • Options
    cheekyanguscheekyangus Posts: 1,149
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lionsof66 wrote: »
    So just to clarify, it is possible that the lens needs cleaning, but could still play some games?

Okay il give that a go. Thanks :)

Yup, some discs are easier to read than others. Given others comments the blue-tinged discs are obviously among them. Many things could be to blame e.g. quality of blank disc before it was written to, dvd-writer used was faulty/near end of life, publisher used cheap suppliers/equipment and there probably a good few others.

It isn't always a case of something working or not working. Something that would work with 9/10 situations when new can after time and use become worn out/dirty and slowly the hit rate will drop rather than reject everything. For different people there will be different levels of acceptability, some with get peeved at 8/10 others will at 5/10.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 114
    Forum Member
    A few years back I had a similar problem with Final Fantasy X, several discs tried but it would just freeze at a certain point and go no further. Tried cleaning the lens, made no difference, but the disc worked perfectly fine on a friends system.

Eventually had to admit defeat and just get a refund on the game. Someone else has mentioned it, but GTA: San Andreas was a bit twitchy too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had the same problem years back with MGS2. I had to swap it in HMV 3 times to get a copy that didn't freeze in the opening sequence.