Options

Virgin Mobile reintroducing speed caps?

denyo1977denyo1977 Posts: 699
Forum Member
✭✭
Was just happily browsing the Virginmedia forum, when I came across a thread with the name "Data speeds". Was reading through it and people mentioned that they seem to hit a cap of 2mbps down and 0.5 up. I have seen 20mbps myself in the past, so I thought it was just a few unlucky people being effected. So I did a speed test at home and what do I get?
2.0 down and 0.59 up :mad: If I notice at work tomorrow that I get the same speeds, Virgin can stick their SIM where the sun doesn't shine.

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Mobile/Data-speeds/td-p/1711396

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    If you read their T&Cs it says that their Fair usage policy for data is only 1GB per month. Shocking I know. Once you exceed this then they slow you down but only during peek hours
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For me it's 3.5GB though as I'm an "old" customer. And I am not close to that and same for my partner. Exceeding it would mean being capped at 384kbps, not 2mbps. And on top it's been at all times.
  • Options
    DevonBlokeDevonBloke Posts: 6,835
    Forum Member
    Yeah, says it in the T&Cs as mentioned.
    They are an MVNO, I guess they have to be careful how much you use.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Excuse me, but do I speak Chinese? I didn't go over 3.5GB, it is a general speed cap at all times no matter how much data has been used. It is not just me and my partner, several people have mentioned it.
  • Options
    jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    denyo1977 wrote: »
    Excuse me, but do I speak Chinese? I didn't go over 3.5GB, it is a general speed cap at all times no matter how much data has been used. It is not just me and my partner, several people have mentioned it.

So, Virgin Mobile have an unlimited data plan.

-Speeds are capped at 2mbps permanently
    -There is a fair use policy of 3.5GB
    -Tethering is blocked
    -Once fair use policy is exceeded speeds are slowed to 384kbps permanently.

A few months ago i would have fully recommend virgin... now not so much.

A few months ago the fair use was 10GB, speeds were uncapped, tethering was included and speeds were only slowed between 12pm-12am after the 10GB was exceeded.
  • Options
    Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Cell sites suffer from congestion if lots of other customers are all using it to download at the same time.

One minute you can get 17 Mbps down and later you can get 2 Mbps down. This isn't capping or throttling it's generally just capacity issues in your area.

Are you sure it's not just this? have you got an app to keep an eye on data use? could an app be using more data than you thought and be leading to you being capped.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That sums it up! I feel a bit stupid recommending Virgin Mobile to my partner.
    Now the question is, is it down to Virgin Mobile or EE? Virgin Mobile don't say there is no cap, like T-Mobile used to do. They say there shouldn't be one.

Yes, I am aware of congestion. But it hits a wall at 2mbps, just like it did on T-Mobile. And it's everywhere I tested.
    The Nexus 4 shows data usage, just like the Virgin Mobile app and both show nearly the same usage. And again: if I had gone over, I would not be capped at 2mbps, but at 384kbps!!!
  • Options
    GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just ran a speed test, 2.00 exactly :eek:

It's enough for me is all I do is web browsing but shocking... Maybe I will just give up and move to three...
  • Options
    DevonBlokeDevonBloke Posts: 6,835
    Forum Member

Yeah, er sorry... missed that bit. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for confirming that, Gormond.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for confirming that, Gormond.

Yeah I usually get 8-10 Mb while in my house... Not good is it...

Sigh... I would move to three but its so much more expensive, I need about 600+ mins and 1GB data, on virgin I pay about a tenner for this (student discount).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Gormond wrote: »
    Yeah I usually get 8-10 Mb while in my house... Not good is it...

Sigh... I would move to three but its so much more expensive, I need about 600+ mins and 1GB data, on virgin I pay about a tenner for this (student discount).

How about Three?

600 Mins/5000 texts/1GB Data- £12.90pm + £50 casback via TCB

600 Mins/5000 Texts/AYCE Data- £15.90 + £50 cashback via TCB

But tbh virgin have 2G fallback and if you don't need over 3.5GB/tethering then there is no point as 2mbps is fine for 95% of things.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    How about Three?

600 Mins/5000 texts/1GB Data- £12.90pm + £50 casback via TCB

600 Mins/5000 Texts/AYCE Data- £15.90 + £50 cashback via TCB

But tbh virgin have 2G fallback and if you don't need over 3.5GB/tethering then theirs no point as 2mbps is fine for 95% of things.

I have a MiFi for tethering and broadband in the house so it's only really web and email on my phone that its used for which I guess s still fine at 2MB...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have noticed that with 2mbps YouTube HQ videos and BBC iPlayer did struggle. For browsing it's fine. I will wait a couple of days to see if things will change, but am bit fed up to lose 6.5GB of full speed and then get a speed cap on top without being told.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have noticed that with 2mbps YouTube HQ videos and BBC iPlayer did struggle. For browsing it's fine. I will wait a couple of days to see if things will change, but am bit fed up to lose 6.5GB of full speed and then get a speed cap on top without being told.

Hmm yeah I do watch the odd video, thats not good if that's effected.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FilmOnTV worked fine though. Might have to go back to giffgaff (yes, I do know about O2's 3G coverage, the "customer service" etc). But at least where I use data the most, I do get decent speeds. Three probably isn't an option as I managed 0.01mbps in some tests months ago.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    FilmOnTV worked fine though. Might have to go back to giffgaff (yes, I do know about O2's 3G coverage, the "customer service" etc). But at least where I use data the most, I do get decent speeds. Three probably isn't an option as I managed 0.01mbps in some tests months ago.

What about T-Mobile full monty. yeh it's £21pm but i think it's still £15.50 via Chitter Chatter (£20 with £5 back every month)

Tbh, Three is the only choice for truly unlimited data now. (inc tethering/no speed cap/fair use etc...)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They got nearly the same congestion problems where I work as Three have (surprised me that Virgin didn't suffer the same problem). And both my partner and I were accused of lying by someone from CEO office, as we apparently made up speeds we achieved with the Internet booster a year ago (we tried to show without the booster that there was a cap), saying 10mbps would only be possible with 4G!!!
    One good thing is I don't have to get a long term contract.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    True, i guess Giff Gaff is the next best choice then. They don;t have a cap but i guess on O2's network you don't have to have a cap with the constant slow speeds :D

But i'm really disappointed myself as i was planning on switching my personal contract to Virgin to take advantage of the 10GB cap and tethering..... guess not now.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 54
    Forum Member
    Might be worth checking which Virgin network you're on.

Virgin - running on T-Mobile better speeds

or

virgin - running on the slower Orange network.

I never achieve above 2mbps when on virgin(Orange) but regularly get 7mbps+ on Virgin(T-Mobile).
    I'm on the unlimited data pay as you go and i've used nearly 2GB this month.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the tip, but I have got an app showing which network I am connected to in notification bar. And I use T-Mobile 90% of the time. And both networks peak at 2mbps.
    Have you done a speed test today?
  • Options
    springyspringy Posts: 363
    Forum Member
    Just did a speed test and yup I got the same, 2Mbps down 0.5 up... oh well
  • Options
    Forum Member
    IanPH wrote: »

or

I never achieve above 2mbps when on virgin(Orange) but regularly get 7mbps+ on Virgin(T-Mobile).

True but a lot of Orange masts are running back as normal now and have been upgraded with better capacity + backhaul. By the end of the summer this issue should disappear.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 54
    Forum Member
    Yep, did one just before I replied and got my usual 7-8 mbps on Virgin(T-Mobile).

Fingers crossed this is a case affecting a relatively small number of people but looking at the link above there are a few people getting ready to jump ship and to O2 networks :eek: .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IanPH wrote: »

or

My test was done connected to HSPA on a T-Mobile mast that I usually get between 8 and 10 Mbps