Options

TV characters that disappeared without any explanation.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 203
    Forum Member
    Various characters in Shameless, particularly Norma, the truck driver.

Two episodes left, and I'm going to spend eternity heartbroken over not knowing her fate. :eek:

Funny thing, Dystin Johnson, who played Norma, was in series one of Prisoners' Wives playing a desk officer in the area where the families met the prisoners. She did next to nothing, and she had few lines, but she had a name.

I kept waiting for the role to be expanded, because I enjoy Dystin Johnson as an actress. Begin series two, the character is gone, and really, she was minor enough (almost an extra) that it's nitpicking to suggest that she disappeared without a trace. But I think in the future, I'll just avoid getting attached to any of the actress's characters in case these disappearances are a trend. :-)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 423
    Forum Member
    A few Last of the Summer Wine characters have disappeared without a trace:

Billy Hardcastle disappeared from Last of the Summer Wine in 2006 without any explanation.

Eli wasn't seen or heard from again following the death of Danny O'Dea. I know the actor had died but they still didn't acknowledge him.

Mrs Avery and Babs (the ones that appeared when Tom Owen joined the series in 2000) disappeared not long after they were first introduced.

The librarians in the earlier series disappeared too.
  • Options
    Walter NeffWalter Neff Posts: 9,201
    Forum Member
    The Golden Girls had a Gay cook, he was in the first episode and then never seen again.
  • Options
    woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Upstairs, Downstairs (both incarnations) featured a selection of maids who disappeared between episodes and series without any explanation. It was forgiveable, as I assume that 'service' would have had a fair amount of turnaround in the early 20th century, but one does wonder what became of Doris the scullery maid, Alice the parlour maid, Joan the parlour maid (all from the original) and Ivy the housemaid from the reboot. All were there one minute, gone the next.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 203
    Forum Member
    The Golden Girls had a Gay cook, he was in the first episode and then never seen again.

I think that was the pilot, which is a bit different.
  • Options
    RoseAnneRoseAnne Posts: 3,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DC Gail Stevens from Midsomer Murders. She appeared more prominently in the later John Nettles episodes and seemed to be in the early stages of a romance with Ben Jones. I think she went into plain clothes in the last couple of episodes and it seemed that they were beefing up her role to be part of the main team. However, she disappeared without trace when Neil Dudgeon arrived!
  • Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    In King Of Queens, Carrie had a sister who lived with her and Doug for about the first three episodes, then she vanished and it was retconned that Carrie was an only child.

'Richie' was one of Doug's best friends in the first couple of seasons, then disappeared with no explanation. Not sure what happened to the actor, but it was blatantly to make room for Kevin James' brother.
  • Options
    Utopian GirlUtopian Girl Posts: 8,275
    Forum Member
    Jacko - Winne's husband - Mrs Brown's Boys and Sparticus the dog.

Elizabeth's husband & daughter from Keeping up Appearances.

Elsie - Nana's friend in The Royle Family.

Margaret's Mother - One Foot in the grave.
  • Options
    Lisa_NaylorLisa_Naylor Posts: 827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jacko - Winne's husband - Mrs Brown's Boys and Sparticus the dog.

Elizabeth's husband & daughter from Keeping up Appearances.

Margaret's Mother - One Foot in the grave.

Jacko has never been seen on Mrs Brown Boys but he gets talked about so he hasn't disappeared. The dog didn't disappear it went to a rest home for dogs.
  • Options
    Utopian GirlUtopian Girl Posts: 8,275
    Forum Member
    Jacko has never been seen on Mrs Brown Boys but he gets talked about so he hasn't disappeared. The dog didn't disappear it went to a rest home for dogs.

I know, I posted on the wrong thread.:o:rolleyes:
  • Options
    TrebleKingTrebleKing Posts: 2,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gulftastic wrote: »

'Richie' was one of Doug's best friends in the first couple of seasons, then disappeared with no explanation. Not sure what happened to the actor, but it was blatantly to make room for Kevin James' brother.

Richie Ianucchi, played by Larry Romano, was written out in series 3. He left by his own volition to appear in another sitcom.
  • Options
    scragendscragend Posts: 423
    Forum Member

It was mentioned that Elsie had died. In one episode Jim went upstairs and you could hear his voice on the baby monitor pretending to be the ghost of Elsie and telling Norma to keep her mitts off her stuff.

I don't think Elsie had ever been seen on screen in the first place though.
  • Options
    ChuckyBlackhartChuckyBlackhart Posts: 2,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    Lucy Beale in EE had a head transplant but her father never seemed to notice.

Lauren in EE too. When the actor leaves or is forced out the character go's with them.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lauren in EE too. When the actor leaves or is forced out the character go's with them.

Didn't the original actress who played Lucy get sacked for bad behaviour off-screen ?

Then of course there was the EE actress who was sacked for selling plot details to the tabloids. She sailed off into the sunset never to be seen again.
  • Options
    ChuckyBlackhartChuckyBlackhart Posts: 2,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't the original actress who played Lucy get sacked for bad behaviour off-screen ?

Yes, it was very silly. She was about 17. And all she was doing was being pictured smoking and stuff. The same type of thing anyone that age does at least occasionally.

The actress who replaced her was the same age and was pictured smoking on set as soon as she was employed.
  • Options
    rumpleteazerrumpleteazer Posts: 5,746
    Forum Member
    In the early seasons of Boy Meets World Shaun had a sister, then suddenly he had always been only child.
  • Options
    ilovenicnacsilovenicnacs Posts: 43,398
    Forum Member
    motsy wrote: »
    Chuck Cunningham joined the army and the Fonz returned to high school and eventually became a teacher.

Still don't remember Chuck, shows what an impression he made! How old was the fonz supposed to be? I know Henry Winkler was a lot older than the character, but I remember when watching that it seemed obvious and why was this old man (I was only 10!), hanging out with teenagers and dating 18 year olds.. also hated Joannie cos she just wasn't Chachi s type :D:o
    BIB Wasn't that Laurence fishborne's character in CSI?:confused:
    No he was dreary barlow' s first husband and traceyluvs dad.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't Benny in Crossroads disappear for a number of years without any explanation ?
  • Options
    ilovenicnacsilovenicnacs Posts: 43,398
    Forum Member
    Didn't Benny in Crossroads disappear for a number of years without any explanation ?

Yes he did:D also Amy Turtle went to visit her nephew in America, never came back and was never mentioned again!
    (If she wasn't the inspiration for Mrs Overall I'll eat my hat)..
  • Options
    bookaddictbookaddict Posts: 2,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In King of Queens, Carrie had a sister who appeared in the first couple of episodes, but after that Carrie was an only child.

Boston Legal was always introducing characters then dropping them without explanation.
  • Options
    rikstan87rikstan87 Posts: 2,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RickyBarby wrote: »
    1.Chuck Cunningham-happy days
    2.Cousin Oliver-bardy bunch
    3.Seven W****er-married with children
    4.David Trueheart-power rangers
    5.Lana Shields-threes company

Aren't you a bit old for power rangers?
  • Options
    daisyduck1976daisyduck1976 Posts: 1,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't disappear without explanation but...

Mo-Mo in Nurse Jackie was a big part of season 1 and was a great side-kick for Jackie. The producers decided between seasons that they had nowhere to go with the character. they weren't going to bother explaining his sudden absence but were a bit surprised by the fan outrage and so had a brief scene where Jackie toasts him in his absence and wishes him luck when she's in a bar or at a party.

Odd decision, but 5 seasons in, and I've nearly got over it ;)
  • Options
    Fibromite59Fibromite59 Posts: 22,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »

What about tracy barlow going upstairs and not coming down for 20 years

It was three years actually.
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Didn't disappear without explanation but...

Mo-Mo in Nurse Jackie was a big part of season 1 and was a great side-kick for Jackie. The producers decided between seasons that they had nowhere to go with the character. they weren't going to bother explaining his sudden absence but were a bit surprised by the fan outrage and so had a brief scene where Jackie toasts him in his absence and wishes him luck when she's in a bar or at a party.

Odd decision, but 5 seasons in, and I've nearly got over it ;)

That didn't bother me much at all, once I realised he was gone.
    Jackie's the centre of that world, everyone else revolves around her.
    I'd miss Zoe's character, but I rather fancy her.
    I'm only up to season 2 though.
  • Options
    KB1984KB1984 Posts: 274
    Forum Member
    'MINDER' was a good one for these :), regular characters just disappeared with no mention of where they went. Among these are:-

Des The Mechanic (George Layton)
    Des's replacement dim Arnie (Ray Winstone)
    Terry's on/off girlfriend Debbie
    DS Rycott (Peter Childs) the actor died between series but no explanation on screen.
    DS Jones (Mike Povey)
    DC Mellish (Michael Troughton)
    DS Morley (Nick Day) from the Ray Daley years
    Young Arthur Daley wannabe Justin (Mark Farmer)