Options

Travel Insurance

Angelica1973Angelica1973 Posts: 352
Forum Member
Hi all,

Parents are looking to make a trip to South Africa and need travel insurance. They are both 69 years old. I've been looking on the internet and can't seem to find any reasonably priced insurance for them.

Any forums users out there, around this age group experienced travellers who have found insurance at a decent price ? Would appreciate any feedback, if so.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Forum Member
    Brilliant Woodbush, that's more like it, £160 for the two of them for the whole of their trip. Thank you, and mothers bank account thanks you :)
  • Options
    John146John146 Posts: 12,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brilliant Woodbush, that's more like it, £160 for the two of them for the whole of their trip. Thank you, and mothers bank account thanks you :)

Try the AA, or Global, I am 72 and I got very reasonable rates with the AA
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks John, off to have a look now. Parents are fit and healthy, no pre-existing conditions, but they feel that they really need the insurance for peace of mind, making a trip so far from home.

Appreciate the replies.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    £400+ with the AA, struggling a bit with Global's website, Amish Girl (me) can't find the single trip category for their age. Will keep trying, I really appreciate you taking the time to reply.
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't go on price alone, make sure they are fully covered, always read the small print, especially the exclusions.

While they might not have any pre-existing illnesses, do any immediate family? as this will also need to be disclosed. If for example an immediate family is ill due to a pre-existing, and your parents have to cancel the trip, and claim on the insurance because of this, then the insurance company will not pay out.

Does the policy cover for Travel disruption e.g Volcanic ash clouds etc? If they have booked flights, accommodation separately then they will also need to have Scheduled Airline Failure Insurance and End Supplier cover too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks for posting dearmrman, hadn't really taking into account the factors you have kindly pointed out. My travel involves very rare budget airline flights back to UK so hadn't considered the bigger picture for my parents. Will look into it properly tomorrow, especially the small print, it explains the huge differences in premiums. Thank you. Will look again at the AA as recommended by John who clearly is an experienced traveller, I think it really was just the price that put me off. I thought I was doing parents a favour finding cheap insurance but if it isn't worth the paper it's written on....

Thanks again to forum members for taking the time to reply.
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used Flexicover for mine, they fitted my needs and they were reasonable, but it was only Europe, had my mum on that, but she is only 59, over 65 it does make a difference. My mum and dad used Virgin Insurance last year for Florida, and they did good rates. Came up via Comparethemarket or moneysupermarket have used both.

As I say don't go on price, the expensive ones aren't always better, you may think they are because of the cost, but it isn't always the case. What suits one doesn't suit all, just get the policy that suits your parents. Also medical insurance you only need £1 Million pounds worth of cover, you don't need up to £5-£10 million. Highest ever claim was for about £900K.
  • Options
    BinCatBinCat Posts: 2,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When my Mum was travelling to America a lot she used Age UK's website (actually i did it for her!).

They were quite reasonable and pretty easy to understand all the smallprint. When i had to book insurance for my 15 year old to travel alone this summer, finding insurance was really hard, but eventually found JS Insurance, who were great.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thank you for all your replies, really appreciate it. This is my afternoon sorted out, beats a basket of ironing.