Jacqueline Jossa wins best actress at Inside Soap Awards.

Comments

• James_VickJames_Vick Posts: 632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Congratulations very well deserved, she is one of the best out of the younger actors in the show, second only to Shona McGarthy.
  • O-JO-J Posts: 18,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kitkat1971 wrote: »
    I buy it (42) and then I pass it to my mum to read and she is 77.
    Neither of us voted though I have to admit.

I'm not as down on Jossa's acting as many but there she is far off being the best actress in EE, let alone Soap.

What does really worry me is that the Produceers might decide to push her even more to the forefront on the strength of this (like they did when Lacey Turner started winning awards) and I don't want it to become even more of the Lauren Branning show.

Totally does not deserve it,
  • felixrexfelixrex Posts: 7,307
    Forum Member
    James_Vick wrote: »
    Congratulations very well deserved, she is one of the best out of the younger actors in the show, second only to Shona McGarthy.

And Jamie Borthwick. And Danielle Harold. And the girl who plays Amy. And everyone else.
  • ryanr554ryanr554 Posts: 4,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well deserved. She was excellent during Laurens Alcoholism.
  • Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member
    Julie Hesmondhalgh has been far, far better.
  • holidaynumptyholidaynumpty Posts: 1,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Like someone else said ...not even the best actress on EE. What about Lindsay Coulson or Charlie Brooks ?????

Overall soaps..compare to Lucy Partager or Zoe Henry.

No contest...imo
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Kelly-x wrote: »
    That is a complete joke,
    Never doubt the power of the EE voter
    she's very average

Average? Who are you comparing her with.
  • KaylaLKaylaL Posts: 1,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She IS very average when you compare her to Debbie & Chas Dingle or Hayley Cropper...she portrayed the worst alcoholic I ever seen...and recovered almost as quick as Phil did his heroin addiction.

Teens voting on looks other than talent...she is at most a very average actress...and a bit of a one trick pony.
  • ryanr554ryanr554 Posts: 4,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KaylaL wrote: »
    She IS very average when you compare her to Debbie & Chas Dingle or Hayley Cropper...she portrayed the worst alcoholic I ever seen...and recovered almost as quick as Phil did his heroin addiction.

Teens voting on looks other than talent...she is at most a very average actress...and a bit of a one trick pony.

How come when Eastenders wins awards it is down to teen voting but when Coronation Street wins it's because it's better?

I thought Jaqueline Jossa was pretty damn good portraying an alcoholic and she most definitely deserved an award for it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    Great news. She's been amazing.
  • kingcnutkingcnut Posts: 590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really? Who votes for this thing - must be children! Julie has acted in every episode of corrie, not just read lines.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 270
    Forum Member
    Well Done Jacqueline. I don't get some people who seems to dislike her. She won, get over it. If you all think she is so bad then go on, prove you all are better than her...
  • xTonixxTonix Posts: 56,264
    Forum Member
    Well deserved. :D
  • felixrexfelixrex Posts: 7,307
    Forum Member
    Well Done Jacqueline. I don't get some people who seems to dislike her. She won, get over it. If you all think she is so bad then go on, prove you all are better than her...

And here's me thinking that freedom of expression was a basic human right and not something somebody only becomes eligible for once they, themselves, have become a master at the subject on which they wish to express it...
  • lordo350lordo350 Posts: 3,636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be fair to Jossa, to be really, really fair, it's not really her fault that the character of Lauren Branning is as downright unlikable as she is. It's the writers, and that's where the book always stops. Having said that, all I saw of the alcohol storyline was her screaming and shouting, running around, and causing me to have to press the mute button. Granted, I didn't see much of it.

It's not that Jossa is a bad actress. Remember the likes of Hayley and Carol have been doing it for longer than a decade, whereas she's been there since 2010 (?). Like I said, I think the character is simply awful, but what really bugs me about Lauren is the writers actually want us to like her, with no effort put in to making her even remotely sympathetic. Oh, she's got a life threatening illness now. Feel sorry for her, please! Pretty (which by the way, she is, guys!) please!!!

What worries me about this is when the likes of Dexter win best newcomer and Jossa wins this, it damages the show. TPTB will now shove Lauren even more into the limelight, and in all honesty I don't think the show can take more of Lauren Branning than it already does. She's an awful, unsympathetic, unrelatable, shallow, selfish and infuriating character, made so by the writers and, I'm sorry to say, played that way by Jossa. She's good, but she's not the best young actor on the soap and she's certainly not the best character. Tbh, EE can do better.

I don't begrudge her winning the award... tbh I don't really care. Shallowness will always win when it comes to EE. However, I do worry how DTC will see this.
  • thejoyof_patthejoyof_pat Posts: 30,735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lordo350 wrote: »
    To be fair to Jossa, to be really, really fair, it's not really her fault that the character of Lauren Branning is as downright unlikable as she is. It's the writers, and that's where the book always stops. Having said that, all I saw of the alcohol storyline was her screaming and shouting, running around, and causing me to have to press the mute button. Granted, I didn't see much of it.

It's not that Jossa is a bad actress. Remember the likes of Hayley and Carol have been doing it for longer than a decade, whereas she's been there since 2010 (?). Like I said, I think the character is simply awful, but what really bugs me about Lauren is the writers actually want us to like her, with no effort put in to making her even remotely sympathetic. Oh, she's got a life threatening illness now. Feel sorry for her, please! Pretty (which by the way, she is, guys!) please!!!

What worries me about this is when the likes of Dexter win best newcomer and Jossa wins this, it damages the show. TPTB will now shove Lauren even more into the limelight, and in all honesty I don't think the show can take more of Lauren Branning than it already does. She's an awful, unsympathetic, unrelatable, shallow, selfish and infuriating character, made so by the writers and, I'm sorry to say, played that way by Jossa. She's good, but she's not the best young actor on the soap and she's certainly not the best character. Tbh, EE can do better.

I don't begrudge her winning the award... tbh I don't really care. Shallowness will always win when it comes to EE. However, I do worry how DTC will see this.

BIB: I disagree as take a character like Zainab who was rude, obnoxious, homophobic and bitter, off the scale unlikeable compared to Lauren at times, but Nina Wadia managed to make her likeable and multi-layered. True, the writing has to take credit for that but it's also about delivery of lines. The one that stands out for me with Lauren was the whole "My mum's got cancer, I can do what I want!" That could have said in a number ways without making her sound like the total b*tch she did sound.

She is going to be pushed to the front now and Dexter will remain on the show. Worrying times.
  • lordo350lordo350 Posts: 3,636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BIB: I disagree as take a character like Zainab who was rude, obnoxious, homophobic and bitter, off the scale unlikeable compared to Lauren at times, but Nina Wadia managed to make her likeable and multi-layered. True, the writing has to take credit for that but it's also about delivery of lines. The one that stands out for me with Lauren was the whole "My mum's got cancer, I can do what I want!" That could have said in a number ways without making her sound like the total b*tch she did sound.

She is going to be pushed to the front now and Dexter will remain on the show. Worrying times.

You know, when you put it like that, you actually change my mind a bit. You are absolutely right; Zainab was, in all honesty, rather unlikable on paper, yet Nina always made us like her. Yes, she was annoying at times, but Zainab will always be remembered for being popular, and in all honesty even now she is missed. And to be fair, she had some very difficult stuff to act through, like Syed's plot and Yusef.

If Lauren left tomorrow, I genuinely think the show would be so much the better for it. The Lauren obsessives would get over it; just cast someone else who's pretty as Mick's kids (which they are bound to do anyway). I guess there is a big difference between a middle aged bitter woman who still did, at the end of the day, love her children, and a self-centred entitled drunk. Jossa certainly hasn't helped the situation, don't get me wrong, but she's been given such crap to work with.

No defending Jossa, though. I've never really rated her as an actress, aside from Branning Week back in 2011. The only younger cast I rate are Jay, Lola and Peter. The first two have had to act some very difficult stuff and rose to the challenge beautifully, while Peter was instantly likable the moment he opened his mouth. Lauren is just shoved in the limelight too much and is just... awful. Therefore, the fact that the actress who plays her can win awards is pretty ridiculous. It's not like the likes of Charlie Brooks, who effortlessly make us love to hate their characters. Both Jossa and the writers make me just hate Lauren, when their intention is to make me love her. In all, it's just an epic fail.
  • radcliffe95radcliffe95 Posts: 4,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    James_Vick wrote: »

And the award for the most sarcastic and facetious post goes to....
  • kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,256
    Forum Member

I so agree with BIB: A lot of times the strongest characters come from the actor having delivered the lines almost against the written meaning. So, they can give seemingly nice lines a hard, bitter, sarcastic or bitchy slant or make quite nasty stuff sympathetic or funny. It is a different soap but a prime example of this would be Jac Naylor in Holby City who does some dreadful things and say some hateful lines but because the actress delivers them against type she is one of the most loved (and often sympathetic) characters in the show and there is not way she would have lasted 8 years if she had played the lines as written at the start.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I so agree with BIB: A lot of times the strongest characters come from the actor having delivered the lines almost against the written meaning. So, they can give seemingly nice lines a hard, bitter, sarcastic or bitchy slant or make quite nasty stuff sympathetic or funny. It is a different soap but a prime example of this would be Jac Naylor in Holby City who does some dreadful things and say some hateful lines but because the actress delivers them against type she is one of the most loved (and often sympathetic) characters in the show and there is not way she would have lasted 8 years if she had played the lines as written at the start.

I didn't know who you were talking about until I googled her but yes I totally agree with your analysis of how the actors can take the writing much further and your choice example. She has been a bit of a boot over her years but still managed to make her an endearing character, when it counted, that the sign for me of someone who knows their craft.
    Forum Member
    I didn't know who you were talking about until I googled her but yes I totally agree with your analysis of how the actors can take the writing much further and your choice example. She has been a bit of a boot over her years but still managed to make her an endearing character, when it counted, that the sign for me of someone who knows their craft.

Indeed - it is all about making a character multi layered and adding depth - even if it isn't obviously there in the script.

Another example to me in EE would be Janine. She could so easily be a panto villainess and yes there are some people that just hate her, or who love to hate her but there are also a lot of viewers who at times sympathise with her, understand why she behaves as she does and even like her and that is mainly down to Charlie Brooks. I'd say Jeff Hordley as Cain Dingle in Emmerdale is another example of the actor rising above the 'baddie' material (at least at the start) to make a truly fascinating, rounded character.

Also SJS has spoken about how he wanted to make Michael Moon so much more that the wide boy originally scripted and again I'd argue he did it with his delivery and then the writers picked up on it and started scripting better, more interesting material and lines for him.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Indeed - it is all about making a character multi layered and adding depth - even if it isn't obviously there in the script.

Another example to me in EE would be Janine. She could so easily be a panto villainess and yes there are some people that just hate her, or who love to hate her but there are also a lot of viewers who at times sympathise with her, understand why she behaves as she does and even like her and that is mainly down to Charlie Brooks. I'd say Jeff Hordley as Cain Dingle in Emmerdale is another example of the actor rising above the 'baddie' material (at least at the start) to make a truly fascinating, rounded character.

Also SJS has spoken about how he wanted to make Michael Moon so much more that the wide boy originally scripted and again I'd argue he did it with his delivery and then the writers picked up on it and started scripting better, more interesting material and lines for him.

I completely agree with those examples and I would add Adam Woodyatt to the list. He could so have easily made Ian just a petty, middle-age man, Victor Meldrew like character but Adam has the ability for me to hate Ian at the start of an episode and then to feel so sorry for him by the end earning my forgiveness for what ever wrong doing he has done. I think it takes skill to do that.

I would also add Charley Webb to that list as well, although she like Lauren is not meant to be a villain. I think Lauren is meant to be a likeable character who goes through hard times but ultimately is meant to be a someone we root for but for me I have never got that vibe of a likeable girl. She's too self centred for my tastes.
  • valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    B_C1 wrote: »
    It's a shame the actresses that play Carole, Denise, Jean, Shirley, Ronnie and Bianca never seem to win any awards. It's always the young/ good looking ones.

Didn't Gillian Wright win it last year. They have to put someone forward who has had a s/l in the last year, so that comes down to Lauren, Lola, Sharon and Ava. I'd have gone for Danielle, but out of those four Jac has to be the second best IMO. Anyway, well done to her.
    Forum Member
    I completely agree with those examples and I would add Adam Woodyatt to the list. He could so have easily made Ian just a petty, middle-age man, Victor Meldrew like character but Adam has the ability for me to hate Ian at the start of an episode and then to feel so sorry for him by the end earning my forgiveness for what ever wrong doing he has done. I think it takes skill to do that.

I would also add Charley Webb to that list as well, although she like Lauren is not meant to be a villain. I think Lauren is meant to be a likeable character who goes through hard times but ultimately is meant to be a someone we root for but for me I have never got that vibe of a likeable girl. She's too self centred for my tastes.

Yes Adam Woodyatt is great - in my opinion he is the best actor in EastEnders (and possibly Soap) by a mile and has been for a very long time. He does have a slight advantage in the long history though - I always remember what Ian was at the start (a nice, sweet lad) and what he went through with Cindy which turned him hard, money grabbing and with a deep routed insecurity complex which makes him strive to be the richest with the prettiest blonde on his arm and ultimately always causes him to self destruct and hurt others in the process.

He can still make me want to shake him in anger and hold him in comfort within the same scene though which is quite a feat.
  • monalisa62003monalisa62003 Posts: 56,948
    Forum Member
    Which deluded idiots are responsible for this??
    Is this voted by the public?

No its by the panel !

Dont understand why people are so annoyed at this. Shes not that bad not to deserve an award!