Is "The Voice" better than X Factor?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32
Forum Member
I think both have their merits however The Voice has more good vocalists and less comedians but X Factor is a scream watching the people who think they can sing!

Watch out on next series of Voice for this young man:- http://youtu.be/1q_4mmlJ5ec

amd https://soundcloud.com/trevorstaniland/sets/my-playlist-1

Comments

• Imogen_GaleontiImogen_Galeonti Posts: 461
    Forum Member
    ITA!! I never liked X factor but always liked the voice. At least it's funnier and realistic!
  • Dave0893Dave0893 Posts: 13,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the initial auditions on The Voice are better and more entertaining than X Factor, but every round after that I enjoy X Factor more.
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,383
    Forum Member
    Miles better, especially in format.

Both have decent singers, but the overblown presentation and nasty tone of XF makes it the inferior show.
  • Patti-AnnPatti-Ann Posts: 22,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've watched X Factor since the beginning so wouldn't miss it.

I've tried The Voice but after the initial auditions I lost interest - so XF for me every time:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 947
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dave0893 wrote: »
    I think the initial auditions on The Voice are better and more entertaining than X Factor, but every round after that I enjoy X Factor more.

That's the pattern for most people.

Why the BBC feel the need to spend license fee payers money on this I don't know.
  • Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the level of singing talent on a a The Voice is always far superior to that on the X Factor. I also like that they don't have any joke acts.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 947
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the level of singing talent on a a The Voice is always far superior to that on the X Factor.

The difference is the success of the acts after the show. TXF has the likes of Leona, Olly Murs, 1D, JLS, Little Mix, Rebecca Ferguson, Alexandra Burke, Cher Lloyd, Diana Vickers, James Arthur etc. to it's name who, whatever you think of them, have all been relevant at some stage and sold records.

The Voice has completely failed to produce anything noteworthy in it's two years on air so far. Until this changes the whole show will always be a total waste of time in my eyes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tim_A wrote: »
    The difference is the success of the acts after the show. TXF has the likes of Leona, Olly Murs, 1D, JLS, Little Mix, Rebecca Ferguson, Alexandra Burke, Cher Lloyd, Diana Vickers, James Arthur etc. to it's name who, whatever you think of them, have all been relevant at some stage and sold records.

The Voice has completely failed to produce anything noteworthy in it's two years on air so far. Until this changes the whole show will always be a total waste of time in my eyes.

You seem to be completely missing the entire point of The Voice. It's not about finding a huge star, it's about finding someone who can sing really well. They make no bones about it on the show. It's still the more credible format as far as I'm concerned. Better singers, better song choices and yes, better judges.
  • konofiliuskonofilius Posts: 586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You seem to be completely missing the entire point of The Voice. It's not about finding a huge star, it's about finding someone who can sing really well.They make no bones about it on the show. It's still the more credible format as far as I'm concerned. Better singers, better song choices and yes, better judges.

LOL. What is the purpose of launching a show, employing worldwide superstars (will.I.Am, Kylie, Jessie J, Tom Jones), hyping it up if there is no profit of it? Well BBC can do it because it doesnt waste its money but taxpayers so they don't care if it does create stars that can be beneficial for the show.
    THe X Factor is all about money. THey look for money makers, hire money making stars and earn money from the successful alumni and TV adverts so it all makes sense. Everything works for everything. The Voice however is just a bag that sucks huge amount of our hard-earned money.
  • RabidWolverine1RabidWolverine1 Posts: 8,137
    Forum Member
    konofilius wrote: »
    LOL. What is the purpose of launching a show, employing worldwide superstars (will.I.Am, Kylie, Jessie J, Tom Jones), hyping it up if there is no profit of it? Well BBC can do it because it doesnt waste its money but taxpayers so they don't care if it does create stars that can be beneficial for the show.
    THe X Factor is all about money. THey look for money makers, hire money making stars and earn money from the successful alumni and TV adverts so it all makes sense. Everything works for everything. The Voice however is just a bag that sucks huge amount of our hard-earned money.

Actually VodkaDrinka was right. If you havent watch The Voice US too...people seem to be under the impression that as soon as the series is over if they don't get near Number #1 then its a failed experiment...but that's not how The Voice works.

It's not sing on this show, then we will give you a cover version heavily publicized so we can get some sort of return. Then hope you do well with your follow up in 8 months or youre on your own :confused:

People like Cassadee Pope and Danielle Bradbury who were well recieved winners of the show speak well about how they introduced them to people who are teaching them how to write and putting them in touch with well known producers.

The X Factor is all about SHORT term profit and if it doesn't work out long term they don't seem to care.

The Voice is more about giving them ENTRY into the industry to meet the right people so they can be a long term investment to the label.

People think that because The Voice doesn't cash in immediatly with a cover version that they are failing at the game...when its a different game all together.

I do agree with most people here though The Voice has far better talent and the move to January has done them a world of good.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    konofilius wrote: »

Yes you are correct, the X Factor is all about the money. That's why it chews people up and spits them out when they've served their purpose.

I don't know why so many posters on here have such a chip on their shoulders about the licence fee money being spent on The Voice. You could say that about any programme that they air on the channel, and in fact The Voice does very well in its time slot and is probably their most successful Saturday evening show ratings wise after Strictly and Doctor Who. Where do you think the money comes from to make those shows or anything on the BBC, or to buy sporting rights to the a World Cup and the Olympics etc?

The Voice is investment as far as I'm concerned.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The X Factor is for those that think they can sing - but in reality 99.99% of them can't and those that do end up in the final that may be any good end up with a career lacking originality.

The Voice is for those who couldn't get through on the X Factor or who have had a previous career in music that has now finished and they are trying to get back their career.

Re the above point about the Voice - I can remember in 2012 them rejecting Kym Mazelle who is a superb singer who, even in her 50's could out-sing virtually all that has appeared on the show.

In both cases - both of the shows contribution to music has been about zero IMO.
  • earldbestearldbest Posts: 3,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Better, in what sense? I prefer the length of XF (The Voice lives are too short tbh) and the premise of the judges vote but based on song choices, The Voice is better. In fact, pretty much every music show on my radar has better song choices than XFUK.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,430
    Forum Member
    I like the Auditions and Battles in The Voice. I don't like the Live Shows. I like everything in The X Factor apart from the Auditions.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like the Auditions and Battles in The Voice. I don't like the Live Shows. I like everything in The X Factor apart from the Auditions.

I only watch the auditions on The Voice, after that I lose interest.

Like you I usually skip the auditions on XF (though I do like the room auditions - just not the arena). I watch everything from Bootcamp onwards.:)
  • mashitupmashitup Posts: 353
    Forum Member
    I prefer the Voice over XFactor . My favourite singing talent show is American Idol, especially with this years Judges! I still Sky+ all of them to fast forward any sob stories etc etc!
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Voice doesn't find stars. Vocals are only one part of what makes an act truly successful. The likes of Madonna, Paul McCartney, Cher, Janet Jackson etc. would never have got far on The Voice, yet they have all had incredible longevity in the industry.

The X Factor does find stars who CAN sing. Alexandra Burke, Leona Lewis, Rebecca Ferguson all have unique vocals and have been successful. The X Factor also finds pop acts like Cher Lloyd, 1D, Little Mix etc. who do have something which would slip through the net in The Voice.

Like others, I think the Blind Auditions are a great idea, but that's where it ends for me. The X Factor is just better, even if the talent has been lacking in recent years. The show has been responsible for some global British acts which can't be ignored.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why do people keep citing Cher Lloyd as a success story? She's been anything but? Has she ever done anything apart from "Swagger Jagger"?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why do people keep citing Cher Lloyd as a success story? She's been anything but? Has she ever done anything apart from "Swagger Jagger"?

She seems to be more popular in the US than here
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Patti-Ann wrote: »
    She seems to be more popular in the US than here

Hardly really - she has had 1 hit single (no doubt helped by her co-artist on the record who was popular in the US) and 1 album that sold about 120K (probably equivalent the sales of 90-100K in the UK). That was 2-3 years ago - since then, nothing.
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Michelle32 wrote: »
    Hardly really - she has had 1 hit single (no doubt helped by her co-artist on the record who was popular in the US) and 1 album that sold about 120K (probably equivalent the sales of 90-100K in the UK). That was 2-3 years ago - since then, nothing.

But she came 4th though? Cher actually did better in the US than Little Mix who failed to get a single to take-off in America.

I believe Want U Back went Platinum (i.e. 1m units sold) in the US. A pretty good achievement for someone who didn't make the final 3 on the show.
  • BRITLANDBRITLAND Posts: 3,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^^^
    I find X Factor more gimmicky with comedic acts, manipulation, theme nights and Peter Dickson's voice overs tbh

The Voice is a class above X Factor, and who cares if they don't create a manufactured pop star like X Factor does all it's about is helping talented singers find a career in music in which all those in the live shows have actually done despite not at a mainstream level

The Voice isn't failing because it's bad it's just that singing shows have now had there day, X Fa for is getting best by Strictly which really is as big a joke as if The Voice was getting beat by Splash

The X Factor continues to keep around 8 million since it's been a household format for thickest 10 years while The Voice is a new concept which you could say began too late

But the show is doing well right now so maybe it'll be a bigger success by the end of the series
  • JackkJackk Posts: 423
    Forum Member
    X Factor has a better format, is better produced, is easier to get invested in and is far more entertaining - which is what it is, an entertainment programme.
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,383
    Forum Member
    Zack06 wrote: »
    The Voice doesn't find stars. Vocals are only one part of what makes an act truly successful. The likes of Madonna, Paul McCartney, Cher, Janet Jackson etc. would never have got far on The Voice, yet they have all had incredible longevity in the industry.

The X Factor does find stars who CAN sing. Alexandra Burke, Leona Lewis, Rebecca Ferguson all have unique vocals and have been successful. The X Factor also finds pop acts like Cher Lloyd, 1D, Little Mix etc. who do have something which would slip through the net in The Voice.

Like others, I think the Blind Auditions are a great idea, but that's where it ends for me. The X Factor is just better, even if the talent has been lacking in recent years. The show has been responsible for some global British acts which can't be ignored.

The Voice UK has been around for two years. X Factor has had longer to find stars. X Factor tends to find short term stars, who then quickly fade. Lasting success is few and far between.
  • Starzz123Starzz123 Posts: 1,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Voice totally contradicts its premise in the later rounds and relies on a gimmick to entertain, X Factor remains the better show for me, atleast when its on top form.