Options

Oscar Pistorius Trial (Merged)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 182
    Forum Member
    francie wrote: »
    I'm not saying there is but surely there must be other disabled prisoners who are having to serve time for their crimes? Jeez, his former status and his extended family shouldn't come into anything, imho.

If he's put under house arrest for the above reasons then what kind of sodding message is that sending out? :confused:

I couldn't agree with you more. I'll try and find where I read it. I just think that in Oscar's world he just may see this as the two options. And of course sandwiched between sentence and jail time is gonna be appeal.............................................................appeal.................................................................appeal.
  • Options
    valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    benjamini wrote: »
    I think that's a tough one for the judge. Can she be seen to favour OP ? I cannot think she can or will. Her credibility and indeed the S African judiciary are at stake here. It's either justice being seen to be done, or quite the opposite.
    I think M'Lady will go for justice. ;-)

I read a tweet saying that if Oscar ( rich white man ) is given preferential treatment, there will be riots on the streets of SA.
  • Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    porky42 wrote: »

That's brill. I've had a birthday during this trial as well. Very inconvenient.:)
    Happy birthday.
  • Options
    sandy50sandy50 Posts: 22,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP must have disregarded most of the advicece whe he took the stand... It is absolutely obvious that Roux woul dhave primed him on how to act , his demeanour and of course what basically to admit to .... Roux is a top notch lawyer, do we assume OP ignored all the advice??

I think Oscar got scared and lost the plot - he made so many mistakes as he called them - on that Stand the pressure must be overwhelming, how he coped under pressure was clear, he couldn't ! Nel went all over the place with questioning for that very reason, so that if he had been coached , prepared to answer questions in order of them happening he'd be well prepared - Nel made sure he didn't keep to any pattern, for that reason, tactics, and he got out of Oscar just about as much as he could , and boy did he get Oscar incriminating himself.
  • Options
    porky42porky42 Posts: 12,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sandy50 wrote: »
    that's sooooo good :D:D:D
    belated Happy Birthday btw !

Thanks! Although its such a big number :D
  • Options
    franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vald wrote: »
    I read a tweet saying that if Oscar ( rich white man ) is given preferential treatment, there will be riots on the streets of SA.

I wouldn't blame them in the least. Justice should be for ALL or none at all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks! Although its such a big number :D

50, 60 or...cough...70?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,340
    Forum Member
    If the conditions in South African prisons are appalling then something should be done about it, but that doesn't mean Oscar should escape punishment. Maybe the imprisonment of one of their own will be the catalyst for influential South Africans to push for prison reform.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's brill. I've had a birthday during this trial as well. Very inconvenient.:)
    Happy birthday.

Thanks! and you, I think it's my best card ever!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    exadtly my thoughts on this
    that Judge will have to be very careful , and i'm sure she will, she'll be well aware this trial is about a woman losing her life having been shot through a door, and not about Oscar.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    col281 wrote: »
    I couldn't agree with you more. I'll try and find where I read it. I just think that in Oscar's world he just may see this as the two options. And of course sandwiched between sentence and jail time is gonna be appeal.............................................................appeal.................................................................appeal.

Would like to read if you find a link, appreciated.
  • Options
    lynwood3lynwood3 Posts: 24,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Funny.....and clever :kitty:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    50, 60 or...cough...70?

Near the smaller one :)
  • Options
    AnnieBakerAnnieBaker Posts: 4,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As long as oscar receives the same medical treatment as usual in prison, I am not sure how much of a disadvantage his disability would be. He can function fairly normally one his legs are on.

It's not like he is stuck in a wheelchair
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the conditions in South African prisons are appalling then something should be done about it, but that doesn't mean Oscar should escape punishment. Maybe the imprisonment of one of their own will be the catalyst for influential South Africans to push for prison reform.

think he'll be section on his own, he won't be put in with the masses, he'd need protection of some sort.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Near the smaller one :)

A spring chick then.
  • Options
    hopeless casehopeless case Posts: 5,245
    Forum Member
    This is a guy who goes into combat mode when a sparrow farts. There is no way Reeva snuck out of bed, switched of alarms opened doors then later reversed it and got back into bed and OP slept through it.

Well I'm not saying I believe it! I'm talking tic-tacs and stuff.

Anyhow, everyone sleeps through a sparrow's fart, Its judicially noted:p
  • Options
    cath99cath99 Posts: 6,826
    Forum Member
    Thanks for that. so they really, really can't use that as an excuse unless they go on the severity of his disability?

Amputees were shown in the programme too. I don't think they could make a case that his disability is more severe.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 182
    Forum Member
    I think that's a tough one for the judge. Can she be seen to favour OP ? I cannot think she can or will. Her credibility and indeed the S African judiciary are at stake here. It's either justice being seen to be done, or quite the opposite.
    I think M'Lady will go for justice. ;-)

BIB I bloody hope so. My Oscometer is sitting at 98.6% guilty right now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AnnieBaker wrote: »
    As long as oscar receives the same medical treatment as usual in prison, I am not sure how much of a disadvantage his disability would be. He can function fairly normally one his legs are on.

Totally agree and I hope that will be taken into account if jail time is decided.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AnnieBaker wrote: »

that's where I think you're wrong.
    Apparently prothesis are classed as an offensive weapon, I heard that in an interview a while back about this very same issue on Oscar in prison and what to expect., That's why i think he'd be in a room separated from the others, hmmm let's wait and see , if he has his way he'll be spending a weekend picking up litter as punishment, and he'd even appeal that !
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,340
    Forum Member
    The police photographer testified that he took photos of the crime scene, took photos of the crime scene as police were in the process of moving objects (to document that things had been moved), and then took photographs of the crime scene after it had been altered to make certain items (eg the duvet) more visible. Most of Oscar's claim that the police tampered with the scene seems to be based on these photographs, rather than his own memories. Are we to believe that the police took photos of their own tampering and used them to fit themselves up?
  • Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think that would be a normal reaction.
    The money the state are putting into this case has raised huge concerns. The fast tracking of it has raised concerns. The bail conditions raised concerns.
    There are people in jail for years and years awaiting trial in S Africa.
    Of all aspects of this trial I am most Interested in the long term implications on the inequal justice system and whether this case will change it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cath99 wrote: »
    Amputees were shown in the programme too. I don't think they could make a case that his disability is more severe.

This is OP here..the only vulnerable disabled person ever to fear intruders if you believe what he says.
  • Options
    End-Em-AllEnd-Em-All Posts: 23,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently the South African Human Rights Commission has chosen not to pursue claims that Nel is violating Oscar's human rights. Good.

Is this post serious? There was a complaint by the SA Human Rights Commission?
This discussion has been closed.