Have you ever gone off a singer/band?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rihanna for me.

I loved her at the start, I stopped enjoying her music at a high level just after Rated R.
  • my name is joemy name is joe Posts: 4,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Pogues, album 3 was great and yet also somehow killed the need for anything more from them

And REM when Monster came out the spell was broken and there was no way back
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25
    Forum Member
    Paloma Faith.

I loved her first two albums, but the third album has been awful for me. I also didn't like her comments regarding CROY's lack of success.
  • digichantdigichant Posts: 3,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Black Eyed peas when they completely changed their style and sound with 'The END' album. Bloody awful.

I liked Pixie Lott's debut album but haven't bothered with her since.

Loved Coldplay at one point but have found myself completely disinterested in listening to any of their new stuff.
  • Lucy Van PeltLucy Van Pelt Posts: 11,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't tell anyone but I was a member of the Shakin' Stevens fan club when I was seven :blush::blush::blush:
  • Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,495
    Forum Member
    The Pogues, album 3 was great and yet also somehow killed the need for anything more from them

And REM when Monster came out the spell was broken and there was no way back

Not quite; 'New Adventures In Hi-Fi' was a return to form, but then Bill Berry left and it was all over. 'Up' and 'Reveal' had some good points but 'Around The Sun' was totally unmemorable to the extent that I never bothered with the final two.
  • Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    The Almighty.

The first two albums were glorious, anthemic biker rock.

Then the bandwagons started to come into view.
    They jumped on the passing grunge one for their third album, then the pop-punk one for the rest of their output. Sad.
  • JumbobonesJumbobones Posts: 1,814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kiko H Fan wrote: »
    The Almighty.

The first two albums were glorious, anthemic biker rock.

Then the bandwagons started to come into view.
    They jumped on the passing grunge one for their third album, then the pop-punk one for the rest of their output. Sad.

Wild!
    Wild and Wonderfu-ul!

\"/
  • Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    Jumbobones wrote: »
    Wild!
    Wild and Wonderfu-ul!

\"/

And then it went downhill!

The last of their gigs I saw was in the mid 90s. They had 4 albums out.
    The ONLY track they played from the first 2 albums was Wild And Wonderful, and that was during the encore!
  • Jon RossJon Ross Posts: 3,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bryemycaz wrote: »
    To be fair to Phil all 3 of them did. Tony Banks still wrote the majority of material on the 80s Genesis albums.

That's true. Collins wrote a lot of the lyrics though. Songs like In Too Deep were really just a Phil Collins song on a Genesis album.

People always lazily blame Collins because he became so successful, but one only needs to check out Mike's Mechanics catalogue or Tony Banks' failed '80s solo albums to see how much they wanted to go pop too.

But I think early Genesis fans always miss the crucial point, which is that once punk had happened, prog bands had a choice. They could either become an irrelevance and die, or simplify and get accused of "selling out". But things were never going to be the same again because the music industry had changed.
  • Hutchy_MuseHutchy_Muse Posts: 7,080
    Forum Member
    Muse- Their first 3 albums were flawless, BH&R had a mix of excellent and forgettable songs but after that it was downhill from there.

M83- Saturdays=Youth is one of my favourite albums of all time, but their latest release was so far behind.

Klaxons- Again, Myths of the Near Future is up there with my all time favourites, since then they haven't gotten anywhere near that quality.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    digichant wrote: »

Loved Coldplay at one point but have found myself completely disinterested in listening to any of their new stuff.

I can completely understand that. I've always thought if you've heard one Coldplay song, you've heard all you're ever going to hear.
  • ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    It's quite normal for me too cool off on bands after a spell. Sometimes it's permanent, sometimes not.

U2 is probably the most dramatic example. They were one of my favourites until Rattle & Hum but I've been fairly indifferent to them since then.
  • Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Pogues - I absolutely love their first three albums. Never get tired of listening to those. Hated their fourth album 'Peace and Love', and haven't bothered with anything new by them since.

Judas Priest - Apart from their first, dreadful album, I like most of the songs on all their albums up to and including 'Turbo'. Didn't think much of 'Ram it Down', and I didn't like their change of style after that. 'Sad Wings of Destiny' to 'Turbo', fine. After that, forget it.

Traveling Wilburys - First album, great. Second album (without Roy Orbison, who'd passed away), not keen on.
  • meglosmurmursmeglosmurmurs Posts: 35,108
    Forum Member
    Pete Doherty. Used to think he was talented and charismatic, but I got increasingly embarrassed by his behaviour. He's kind of like that friend who's a bad influence on you that your friends and family warn you about. lol
    Now I feel kind of stupid for liking him.

Also, not to speak ill of the dead, but I found Michael Jackson to be an example of it being just too difficult to look past him as a person to like his music. I went through a phase of listening to his music alot, but then just lost interest in him. I even gave my MJ CDs to a friend.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Also, not to speak ill of the dead

I've always thought that's a daft expression. If it applied, we'd say nothing bad about Hitler, or Sir Jimmy Savile come to that.
  • PointyPointy Posts: 1,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jon Ross wrote: »
    I can completely understand that. I've always thought if you've heard one Coldplay song, you've heard all you're ever going to hear.

Listen to their current singles Magic and A Sky Full of Stars and you'll hear two completely different sounding songs. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 333
    Forum Member
    Not quite; 'New Adventures In Hi-Fi' was a return to form, but then Bill Berry left and it was all over. 'Up' and 'Reveal' had some good points but 'Around The Sun' was totally unmemorable to the extent that I never bothered with the final two.

Around the sun was crap, but they did redeem themselves with the last 2 albums though. Glad that they had the good grace to call it a day after that.
  • thewaywardbusthewaywardbus Posts: 2,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't tell anyone but I was a member of the Shakin' Stevens fan club when I was seven :blush::blush::blush:

Please leave via the green door!
  • glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    Chris Brown
    Black eyed peas
    Enrique Iglesias
    Ne-Yo

One thing they have in common. All sold their soul to dance shit music. They should sounds like awful produced robots.

Whilst I disagee with Black Eyed Peas (I love the direction they took, and it really suited them) I couldn't agree more with Enrique. He really needs to take a step back from the current dance trend and stop with all the features. He hasn't had a solo single in the UK for years. I'm not saying I want another 'Hero', but I would love another 'Love To See You Cry' or 'Addicted'.

Having said that, I do quite like his new Kylie duet. Not a fan of the rest of his album though.
  • meglosmurmursmeglosmurmurs Posts: 35,108
    Forum Member
    Jon Ross wrote: »
    I've always thought that's a daft expression. If it applied, we'd say nothing bad about Hitler, or Sir Jimmy Savile come to that.

Very true.
    I suppose it felt a bit soon after his death to be saying 'you know what, I didn't like him'. But then it has been a few years now, and I'm not exactly laying into him, it's just about personal preference.
  • mattlambmattlamb Posts: 4,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jumbobones wrote: »
    I only ever had Pearl Jam's first two albums, but I want to start listening to some of their other stuff. I really wanted to continue to love Radiohead, I had Kid A but I just couldn't get into it. Manics Holy Bible is still one of my favourite albums but I haven't been as keen on any of their others, before or since. I like most of their stuff, but it doesn't speak to me the way THB did. I suppose a depressed 14 year old was the ideal target for that album !

The Holy Bible album was really disliked by many people in its day. But many rate it as their best ever nowadays. I love that album.

Some of their more recent albums are pretty good too, though. Send Away the Tigers and Journal for Plague Lovers aren't bad at all.
  • yorkieUKyorkieUK Posts: 2,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me - Chicago Transit Authority (probably showing my age :) )

They went from great stuff like this:

I'm a Man:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8vY3vAbAdQ

Renamed themselves "Chicago" and brought out utter shite like this:

If you leave me now:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1ykMNtzMT8
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very true.
    I suppose it felt a bit soon after his death to be saying 'you know what, I didn't like him'. But then it has been a few years now, and I'm not exactly laying into him, it's just about personal preference.

I've never had a problem saying I didn't care much for Michael Jackson. He undoubtedly had talent and recorded a few good songs, but he also did plenty of crap and I've always thought his most outstanding talent was as a dancer.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yorkieUK wrote: »

Renamed themselves "Chicago" and brought out utter shite like this:

If you leave me now:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1ykMNtzMT8

LOL My mum and dad used to listen to that on a tape in the car.

It might have been shite but it was popular shite. Went to number one.