Oscar Pistorius Trial (Merged)

Comments

• daziechaindaziechain Posts: 12,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vald wrote: »
    I agree. I think that having him attend as an out patient is perfectly reasonable. There is no merit in having him locked up IMO.
    He killed someone! Would you be happy to have him wandering about? ... guns go off when he so much as looks at them. He could very well ... 'unintentionally' ... kill you.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ha ha ha ha ha ha

Well Nel stepped in it now---took a perfectly poor case to begin with and made it even less likely for conviction.

I'm ready for another bet. Who wants to take a swing at this pinata?

The psychiatric panel will find the same thing that Dr. Vorster did and it will give great credence to his actions as he testified.

Also if you listened to Judge Masipa, she even gave a clue to her thoughts and how she was thinking as the trial has developed to this point.

My hat is off to that cagey Rouxmeister.

Well played.
  • domedome Posts: 55,878
    Forum Member
    I just hope it's full days observations and not just an odd hour here and there, when OP can fit it in with his social calender.
  • Mr_X_123Mr_X_123 Posts: 1,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thing people are missing is that if Pistorius somehow manages to fake GAD and therefore it is ruled it effected his culpability on the night of the incident then he will be placed in a mental insitution until such a time as the doctors are convinced he presents no danger to society.....

It isn't a way out of this.
  • 1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deleesi wrote: »
    BIB: but they aren't going to be paid to help OP's version. So they would be far more objective.

Yes, that's right. We have to trust that expert psychiatrists know exactly what they're doing, and if they can do it on an outpatient basis, why not?
  • GinaHGinaH Posts: 853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has Porky got indigestion yet?
  • FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    BellaRosa wrote: »
    I do believe she is >:( Otherwise why would she do that. She has pawed over him all the way through this.

I'm not even following this farce that closely but it's very apparent she's a fan of his.
  • OPisGuiltyOPisGuilty Posts: 44
    Forum Member
    V-4 wrote: »
    Ha ha ha ha ha ha

Well Nel stepped in it now---took a perfectly poor case to begin with and made it even less likely for conviction.

The psychiatric panel will find the same thing that Dr. Vorster did and it will give great credence to his actions as he testified.

Also if you listened to Judge Masipa, she even gave a clue to her thoughts and how she was thinking as the trial has developed to this point.

Well played.
    :confused: Why
    You want Pistorius to get off with Murder?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    surely they'll be uproar at him being evaluated as an out-patient....how can that be justified, when others with real commitments such as children, are incarcerated. I honestly think we could have a situation where the assessments are carried out at his uncle's home, by the pool.....this is a prime example of his fame, money, status buying him privileges. massipa evidently thinks him residing at the hospital equates to punishment....maybe she should e focusing on addressing the conditions within the hospitals, rather than ensuring op doesn't have to endure it. up until now I had a lot of time for her....I feel quite differently now. Nel forced her hand in making the referral and so she is ensuring that it causes minimum disruption and anxiety to the pistorius'.....really transparent.
  • josjos Posts: 9,992
    Forum Member
    dome wrote: »
    He hasn't faced any punishment, he's been out on bail unlike any other SA who has been charged while waiting trial, so being punished twice makes no sense at all.

He's had preferential treatment all round.
  • AnnieBakerAnnieBaker Posts: 4,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1fab wrote: »
    I agree. The decision about whether he's to be in outpatient or inpatient will be made by people who know far more about it than we do. The judge set out the case very clearly, and if she wants to treat the accused humanely, all credit to her.

Staying at a psychiatric unit for 30 days is not inhumane. Apparently this man is ill and dangerous with a weapon. Should he really be allowed to wander around free.

The problem here is, of course, that we know he's probably not ill at all. It's a defence conjured up so he gets a lesser sentence.

South Africans are already surprised a killer was even granted bail. Now the judge is too scared to send him for a few weeks of 24-hour psychological assessment? This man is clearly above the law.
  • Mr_X_123Mr_X_123 Posts: 1,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ha ha ha ha ha ha

Well played.

This event has shown how you are absolutely clueless. Nel was right. Roux was wrong. The exact opposite of what you argued yesterday.

This is a huge win for Nel. A massive blow for the defence.

I think everyone should disregard your posts as it is clear that you offer strong opinions with absolutely no factual basis or knowledge.

#exposed
  • i4ui4u Posts: 54,983
    Forum Member
    So now he has nearly a week to find out all about GAD and make sure he is judged to have it. Why was he not taken away immediately?

And how can an assessment of his mental state now be relevant to his mental state at the time of the murder?

He's going to get away with this, isn't he?

Watching the number of notes he was slipping forward to his defence during Dr. Vorster's evidence I think he may already know a lot.
  • cath99cath99 Posts: 6,826
    Forum Member
    BellaRosa wrote: »
    I do believe she is >:( Otherwise why would she do that. She has pawed over him all the way through this.

Then why didn't she back the defence and throw out the application?

You're all being a tad silly. He's going for 30 day psychiatric evaluation. He will be attending the facility all day, just not sleeping there (which there could be a 6 month waiting list if they wanted him admitted). He won't be able to "fake it".
  • GinaHGinaH Posts: 853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ha ha ha ha ha ha

Well played.

BIB Didn't you lose your last one? I'm not sure as I don't follow your musings that closely.
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    surely they'll be uproar at him being evaluated as an out-patient....how can that be justified, when others with real commitments such as children, are incarcerated.

Depends on the condition I suppose. It's "just" anxiety after all. It's not as if he's a risk to himself or others in terms of a mental illness. So to have him put into a mental hospital for 30 days is quite extreme even for someone who may be convicted of murder further down the line. I know those who hate him won't agree but he does have rights.
  • ffawkesffawkes Posts: 4,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am still trying to fathom the prosecutor's reason for pushing for the assessment.

Watching his cross examination tactics, he appears to cover both bases with his line of questioning, seeking a win-win situation wit hwhat he elicits from the witness.

I am sur t he referral puts him in such a win-win but I can't see the full picture.

If after the assessment Pistorius is found not to be suffering a serious condition, I can undertand how the prosecution will use it - for one there can be no diminished responsibility argument.

On the other hand, if a condtion is confirmed, how will that aid the prosection's position?
  • Imogen_RichardsImogen_Richards Posts: 3,179
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am confused. Can anyone tell me how an assessment, no matter now thorough, done 15 months after an offence, can be relevant to the mental state of the accused at the time of the offence. It just doesn't make sense to me. If he does show he has GAD during the assessment, what's to say that hasn't arisen as a result of being charged, losing status, lifestyle, respect, etc? How can anyone prove his mental state 15 months ago? Can anyone explain?
    Forum Member
    daziechain wrote: »
    He killed someone! Would you be happy to have him wandering about? ... guns go off when he so much as looks at them. He could very well ... 'unintentionally' ... kill you.

It's a scary thought. Does he have to murder someone else for him to be taken seriously as a threat to people and treated like a man on charge for murder and not for not paying parking tickets?
    Which is the impression this so called murder trial gives.
  • i4ui4u Posts: 54,983
    Forum Member
    GinaH wrote: »
    Has Porky got indigestion yet?

Is it a pork pie hat?
  • benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And to think, only the the other day when asked about being referred OP said its a joke, and check the law.
    Came back to bite him.
    I think judge was left with no choice in this situation.
    I cannot see how the state of his mind can accurately be ascertained on the night of the shooting. So unless some other morbid mental illness is found that was pre existing I think he will be deemed fit but a bit anxious like most of us.
  • domedome Posts: 55,878
    Forum Member
    i4u wrote: »
    Is it a pork pie hat?

That was my first thought when the offer was made to eat it! :D
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,549
    Forum Member
    daziechain wrote: »
    The public see it though Bella .... he loses even more respect especially as they've bought this up at the last minute ... blatantly trying to get him off under any circumstances.
    It sinks him further.

He will still get on with his life tho. So disgusted that he will be an outpatient.
  • hopeless casehopeless case Posts: 5,245
    Forum Member
    Ok, so there we have it. OP will get assessed. Probably best all round. No room for any appeal on this issue at a later stage. His mental state will be properly considered by the court. Remember, he has to be believed first though before this possible mental disorder kicks in.

Also, this gives the defence the chance to instruct Dixon again to carry out a load of tests. Which will be nice for us all :). I'm still waiting for the screaming tests as I don't think Mr Mike carries that argument over the other witnesses.
    Forum Member
    ffawkes wrote: »
    I am still trying to fathom the prosecutor's reason for pushing for the assessment.

Watching his cross examination tactics, he appears to cover both bases with his line of questioning, seeking a win-win situation wit hwhat he elicits from the witness.

I am sur t he referral puts him in such a win-win but I can't see the full picture.

If after the assessment Pistorius is found not to be suffering a serious condition, I can undertand how the prosecution will use it - for one there can be no diminished responsibility argument.

On the other hand, if a condtion is confirmed, how will that aid the prosection's position?

Exactly my first thought when I heard about this. It's a get out jail free card. Helps get him off.

He must've been got at.

But he was obviously never gonna do jail time, so doesn't really matter in the end.
This discussion has been closed.