EastEnders - do you still miss Pat?

jamesc_715jamesc_715 Posts: 8,505
Forum Member
I was watching a scene from EastEnders and there was a Pat mention from David and Sharon. It's been 2 and a half years since Pat passed away.

Do you still miss Pat from EastEnders? I thought she was a real legend and she is sorely missed IMO.

Thoughts? :)

Do you still miss Pat from EastEnders? 113 votes

Yes
88%
andallthatjazzmollSelenaHit Em Up StyleDizzybrunettepegasus2B*witchedc120701jamesc_715bass55maggiekdd68MiniMeToodavey_waveyEddie_RabbittRushJamieHTspolierdoug82Shazla09 100 votes
No
11%
SULLAmrs.deschanelalias aliasAvalanche[Deleted User]DODS11JustArunlewisktfcRedhead69[Deleted User]Luner13CriticFan[Deleted User] 13 votes

Comments

• Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes
    Without a doubt. I'm convinced she would be back now had Bryan Kirkwood not been so short sighted.

June Brown took a four year break in the 90s and then came back. Babs Windsor suggested Pam had the intention of doing the same. She should never have been killed off.
  • wizardtwizardt Posts: 2,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    Absolutely. Pat was one of my favourites and I am still saddened of how Pat left the show because she shouldn't have been killed off. Pam St Clement didn't like the idea of Pat dying and I bet she would have returned under DTC. I miss her very much :(
  • BertypopBertypop Posts: 4,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    I do miss Pat - but I'm glad she went the way she did.

I did not want Pat to fizzle out as a character, appearing less and less frequently over time.

The best characters are always those that left you wanting more. Be it Angie at 3 years or Pat at 27 years - it's always best to leave too soon than too late.
  • Cosmic999Cosmic999 Posts: 1,676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    Out of all the great characters who were needlessly killed off, no one has left a hole as big as Pat has. Even the mere mention of her name these days improves the episode.

Miss her more than any other character :cry:
  • Shazla09Shazla09 Posts: 29,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    Yes I certainly do. There is no decent matriarch anymore.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    Of course.
  • bass55bass55 Posts: 18,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes
    Absolutely, Pat was simply irreplaceable. Her departure has left a huge void at the heart of the show.
  • QueenAmyQueenAmy Posts: 3,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    Yes, I miss her so much
    Bryan Kirkwood should be ashamed of himself for killing her off
  • valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    A bit. But she really had little to do in her latter years and I couldn't imagine her in the show without Janine, Peggy, David or Bianca.
  • thejoyof_patthejoyof_pat Posts: 30,735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    always.
  • _NiallDEE__NiallDEE_ Posts: 13,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes
    Yes and I always will </3
  • bass55bass55 Posts: 18,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes
    I think the loss of Pat (and Pauline back in 2006) is one of the reasons I no longer consider myself a 'fan' of EastEnders. I still watch it occasionally, but I don't have the enthusiasm I used to have. Various producers over the years have been far too quick to kill off key characters, and as a result we have lost all familiarity. EastEnders might as well be a brand new show, there's nothing left that resembles the first twenty years any more. Huge shame.
  • thejoyof_patthejoyof_pat Posts: 30,735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    bass55 wrote: »
    I think the loss of Pat (and Pauline back in 2006) is one if the reasons I no longer consider myself a 'fan' of EastEnders. I still watch it occasionally, but I don't have the enthusiasm I used to have. Various producers over the years have been far too quick to kill off key characters, and as a result we have lost all familiarity. EastEnders might as well be a brand new show, there's nothing left that resembles the first twenty years any more. Huge shame.

I feel completely the same.
  • BenllechBenllech Posts: 2,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    It has become even more apparent how much Pat is missed with all the David stuff happening.

Damn imagine how great the scenes would be if she was still on the show!
  • ameewameew Posts: 2,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree she would have been great with all the David stuff. I also really missed her in the Janine/Michael storyline. Her and Michael would have had some great showdowns .
  • Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    I miss her and wish she hadn't veen killed off but her death was actually done very well.
  • vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes
    Loved Pat and she is sorely missed...
  • 0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    bass55 wrote: »
    I think the loss of Pat (and Pauline back in 2006) is one of the reasons I no longer consider myself a 'fan' of EastEnders. I still watch it occasionally, but I don't have the enthusiasm I used to have. Various producers over the years have been far too quick to kill off key characters, and as a result we have lost all familiarity. EastEnders might as well be a brand new show, there's nothing left that resembles the first twenty years any more. Huge shame.

Yes, I do agree with this. I wonder if Den and Angie would still have been around in some capacity, even if just guest stints. Pat was one of the final anchors, now there's only Dot left in that age bracket. The show is much the poorer for it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 423
    Forum Member
    Yes
    We never saw her pronounced dead ;) I honestly don't care how tacky it would seem if they tried to raise her from the dead, but if they honestly could find a way I wouldn't care. One of Frank's dodgy old schemes came back to bite Pat on the arse, idk.
  • DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 110,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think she was killed off because she wasn't relevant to the direction the show was moving in
  • 0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    DUNDEEBOY wrote: »
    I think she was killed off because she wasn't relevant to the direction the show was moving in

Down the pan? :p 2012 didn't exactly set the world alight.
  • lordo350lordo350 Posts: 3,636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Absolutely. One of the most ridiculous jump the shark moments the show has ever done, and it's done some blinders in its time. It was a pointless, ill thought out death, and even the show seems to realize how much better so many of the storylines would be if Pat could have been involved. I have no idea what they were smoking when they let Bryan Kirkwood kill her off. Absolutely no idea.

She wasn't going forever. They've pretty much admitted that. A character with heaps of history, tonnes of connections, a legendary Eastenders character basically, played by an actress who simply wanted a break and would very likely have returned. There was no sense, no sense at all, in killing her off. To this day, her death is felt, but I get the impression the present production team feel it with frustration. They want her to be in it, and she can't be.
  • ScrabblerScrabbler Posts: 51,266
    Forum Member
    Yes
    Pat was like a on screen grandma, you'd grow up with her and saw her dishing out hugs and thick ears when needed. She was a character who was so versatile that she could have a scene with anyone and it worked.

So yes, I do miss Pat. I would even swallow a ressurection for her character just because she was that Awesome. I can never forgive Kirkwood for killing her off. Because getting rid of Pat nearly killed the show imo. The show should never be about just one person, but Pat was everything Eastenders is supposed to be about and so killing her off was the biggest mistake the show has ever made.
  • xTonixxTonix Posts: 56,265
    Forum Member
    Yes
    Yes I miss her :( one of the best soap characters ever, and one of EE biggest mistakes ever was killing her off.
  • DODS11DODS11 Posts: 2,026
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No
    Not really but you can feel the current production team do. She's constantly mentioned. I don't think having her now would add anything however and I reckon we'd never have gotten David Wicks back, however brief his return has been.