Options

Family filmed trying to force giant sofa in to tiny car!

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not surprised they think the car is a Tardis if it manages to fit those three in it.
  • Options
    cessnacessna Posts: 6,747
    Forum Member
    Some years ago - delivering sofas and armchairs etc for M and S, I lost count of how many people purchased the largest items of furniture without a thought of how the item could be carried in or up narrow openings such as stairs, garden paths, alleyways and door openings etc. In one instance unable to get a huge sofa into a ladies small house through any entrance the sofa was finally left half in half out of an open window, unable to budge either way.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rikstan87 wrote: »

They were obviously near the end of the queue when brains were being given out. I find it completely laughable that they, or he thought that there was enough space for the couch in his car. A van is needed if you want to take a couch with you anywhere.
  • Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    A van is needed if you want to take a couch with you anywhere.
    I'm SO always forgetting this. I wish they would hurry up and invent the front-wheel drive couch.
    I do not mean a Ford Galaxy
  • Options
    TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The 'onlooker' deserves a slap for filming without permission. Like with this retarded Google Glass, anyone filming me for Google's benefit will be a grand down the drain, literally.

Are you aware that you don't actually need permission to film? You don't need permission to upload footage to the internet either.
    Are you also aware that it's illegal to assault someone or damage their property?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm SO always forgetting this. I wish they would hurry up and invent the front-wheel drive couch.
    I do not mean a Ford Galaxy

Just in case you've made a joke in there somewhere, I meant if you're taking the couch to someone else's house.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    i see some people having a go at solving a problem, where`s the funny part?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    in your "dole office" it's a bit like when they look for a job within 30 miles of Margate and the computer comes up with Southend-on-Sea, luv.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That they're never going to get it in. You should be able to tell whether or not if something will fit into something else. The couch definitely looks like it won't fit into that car.

Edit: I don't find it funny in a nasty way, just that I can't believe that they, or he can't see the blindingly obvious.
  • Options
    balthasarbalthasar Posts: 2,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As the three adults are all rather "stout" they should have had an a bit more spacial awareness, or maybe they were planning on someone taking the bus home (with the cushions!).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    in your "dole office" it's a bit like when they look for a job within 30 miles of Margate and the computer comes up with Southend-on-Sea, luv.

is it?
    That they're never going to get it in. You should be able to tell whether or not if something will fit into something else. The couch definitely looks like it won't fit into that car.

that`s not what i`m saying.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

After two minutes it would have become apparent that it wouldn't fit in the car.
    It's abundantly clear that the removal of the cushions wouldn't have the slightest effect on it being able to fit in the car.
    Seeing a sofa wedged into the back of a tiny hatchback and the bloke trying to trump physics with brute force in attempting to get it in any further.

It's a humorous, slapstick-esque situation. What's not to find funny about it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

For clarity, what are you saying?? :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    is it?

I was saying why it's funny to me. What are you saying then?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    After two minutes it would have become apparent that it wouldn't fit in the car.
    It's abundantly clear that the removal of the cushions wouldn't have the slightest effect on it being able to fit in the car.
    Seeing a sofa wedged into the back of a tiny hatchback and the bloke trying to trump physics with brute force in attempting to get it in any further.

It's a humorous, slapstick-esque situation. What's not to find funny about it?

no, i`m still struggling, it`s only about three minutes of video so hardly a long time and anyone who has moved house with a big sofa will know that sometimes you find a way when it seems impossible.

it is clear that this isn`t going to fit but i don`t know why they`re being knocked for trying.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ↑↑↑that.
    For clarity, what are you saying?? :confused:
    I was saying why it's funny to me. What are you saying then?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lol, just think, if this was the kind of logic you had to rely upon in the dole office, the kind of logic that would try to squeeze an elephant in an elevator and not see anything the least bit peculiar.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    no, i`m still struggling, it`s only about three minutes of video so hardly a long time and anyone who has moved house with a big sofa will know that sometimes you find a way when it seems impossible.

it is clear that this isn`t going to fit but i don`t know why they`re being knocked for trying.

That's why it's funny to me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Because
    it is clear that this isn`t going to fit

:p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    maybe you`re all too clever to at least try something that looks too difficult.
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cessna wrote: »
    Some years ago - delivering sofas and armchairs etc for M and S, I lost count of how many people purchased the largest items of furniture without a thought of how the item could be carried in or up narrow openings such as stairs, garden paths, alleyways and door openings etc. In one instance unable to get a huge sofa into a ladies small house through any entrance the sofa was finally left half in half out of an open window, unable to budge either way.
    My SiL and husband bought a new 3 storey town house on a large development.
    Kitchen on GF, living room 1st floor, bedrooms top floor.
    The sofa had to be hoisted to first floor from outside after the living room window frame was removed.
    The developers had to make such arrangements for lots of buyers.
    Internally the stair banister also had to be removed to get the armchairs upstairs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    maybe you`re all too clever to at least try something that looks too difficult.

I wouldn't attempt anything that I could see wasn't going to happen.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't attempt anything that I could see wasn't going to happen.

i had some furniture delivered by professional delivery men, it took them about fifteen minutes to work out a way of getting it in, i didn`t laugh at them either.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i had some furniture delivered by professional delivery men, it took them about fifteen minutes to work out a way of getting it in, i didn`t laugh at them either.

Did the professional delivery men try and force the furniture through a small gap for several minutes in the hope that after the umpteenth try it would magically fit or did they realise that the furniture wouldn't go in the way they first attempted and instead tried an alternative way?

The family in the video tried to force the sofa in, then when that didn't work, they tried to force the sofa in, then when that didn't work, they tried the same thing several more times, then when THAT didn't work, they took the cushions off and tried the same approach - brute force over logic.

It's funny because you (the viewer) know it's not going to fit but they (the family) can't see it and are rather stupidly still trying to make it fit. The phrase 'you can't put a quart into a pint pot' is rather apt her.

I admire their persistence though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

A home is different to a tiny car though. There's a chance of them being able to get the furniture in. I've had to struggle with a couch some family members when getting furniture in, but I was confident that it would have went in if we just got the angles right.