Trivial things about movies that annoy you

Comments

• sinbad8982sinbad8982 Posts: 1,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bob187 wrote: »
    Which scene?

The firefight between the terrorists and the swat team who are all in on it and use blanks, no reasoning behind it other than to try fool the audience.
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dodrade wrote: »
    It's now used exclusively as an in joke, like the Stan Lee cameo in Marvel movies.

Now? Its's been used as an in joke for decades.
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The first person to survive an attack by a serial killer usually turns out to be the killer.
  • Danger CloseDanger Close Posts: 3,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sinbad8982 wrote: »
    When two people who to the audience are supposedly enemies are secretly in cahoots and share scenes when they are alone which keep up the pretense just for the audience. See Die Hard 2, Now you see me and The Last Stand for examples of this.

DIe Hard 2 - I think that's the point of the whole thing. If you've seen enough of these types of films you can see it coming a mile away as Col. Stewart used to lead that particular team.

Now You See Me - The Horsemen don't actually know who they are working for until the very end scene. But, again, if you've seen enough of these that person should have been a suspect and not a real surprise.

Not seen Last Stand so...

Another gripe after (drunkenly) watching Point Break the other night. People who, without any training, can jump out of a plane and skydive in perfect control of their body and use a parachute with no problems.
  • KMKYWAPKMKYWAP Posts: 1,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ironjade wrote: »
    The first person to survive an attack by a serial killer usually turns out to be the killer.

Examples?
  • Finny SkeletaFinny Skeleta Posts: 2,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I could be here all night with this one:

The Poster-By-Numbers: A high contrast, HDR shot of the lead character(s) holding a weapon; either looking down at the floor or with a head-down, eyes-up look; standing in front of a scene of urban destruction. I remember looking at the Blu Ray chart in Morrisons a year or so back and 20 out of the top 30 films had some variation of that cover.

Often tied in with...

The Washed-Out Colour Palette: "You can tell we've made a really serious film because we've drained all the colour out of it apart from various shades of bluey-grey". Just shoot the pigging thing in black and white if you're not going to do anything with the colour.

Usually accompanied by...

The Gruff Voice: Now you know it's a REALLY serious film because the leading man spends the entire film speaking like the Cookie Monster on a diet of unfiltered cigarettes and gravel sandwiches.

Also...

The Sudden Switch To Slow Motion With Pan: Especially when used for someone jumping a long distance (high angle) or when showing someone walking into a room looking cool (low angle). That one passed its sell-by date back in the bloody 90s.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I could be here all night with this one:

The Poster-By-Numbers: A high contrast, HDR shot of the lead character(s) holding a weapon; either looking down at the floor or with a head-down, eyes-up look; standing in front of a scene of urban destruction. I remember looking at the Blu Ray chart in Morrisons a year or so back and 20 out of the top 30 films had some variation of that cover.
    A similar one is the poster with a multiple cast where the faces and names are reversed so if you look at the faces left to right you may think who the lead is but if you read it it's the reverse.

Apparently Towering Inferno was one of the first, possibly the first, to do this because of the actors involved (or mainly just Steve McQueen).

There's a thread on it.
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1922493
  • NinjyBearNinjyBear Posts: 8,317
    Forum Member
    The new trend of split-second nudity.

Either do it or don't.
  • sinbad8982sinbad8982 Posts: 1,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Oliver Stone staple of revolving the camera around the actor, Im sure Eric Bogosian must have been on a roundabout in ' Talk Radio' also the headcam thing when someone is delerious or confused, I think I first saw that in 'unlawful entry' and thought Kurt Russell was on a sack truck or something.
  • AvidianAvidian Posts: 6,049
    Forum Member
    Wrong thread :blush:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    Car windscreens which can stop bullets even as they are shattered.
    Automatic weapons which fire continuously for ages whereas in real life they would be empty in seconds.
    People who die instantly when shot; some people have sustained up to 100 bullet wounds and survived.
    Guns which fire when dropped; not possible.
    People getting kicked in the goolies and getting up in less than 2 hours; never happens.
    Fires in which there's lots of coughing but never any smoke.
    People hammering on phone rests thinking it will reconnect them.
    People getting hit with chairs and shrugging it off.
    Fire extinguishers used for everything except extinguishing fires.
    English characters using American slang.
    Christopher Lambert, Thomas Jane and James Purefoy looking so alike.
    Arty 3D movies in which no one ever chucks anything out of the screen.
    Westerns in which people with the sun beating down on them announce that it'll be dark soon.
    Karl Urban: he just annoys me.

love this post haha
  • mrkite77mrkite77 Posts: 5,386
    Forum Member
    yorkieUK wrote: »
    Why is that the car never starts the first time and mobiles never seem to be able to get a signal!

There is a great standup bit about that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neECmSMHdfU
  • mrkite77mrkite77 Posts: 5,386
    Forum Member
    but the silencer one, probably not...

The silencer being ridiculously unrealistic in movies is very well known, even before the mythbusters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZU5TGljAmw

even suppressed it echoes off the landscape. That video is also a good demonstration of "first round pop", where the first round fired through a suppressor is especially loud due to the oxygen inside the suppressor combusting.
  • gerry dgerry d Posts: 12,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When a plane starts losing fuel.The person taking the controls of the plane will tap the glass on the fuel guage in the hope the arrow goes up.
  • gerry dgerry d Posts: 12,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The bad guy has the gun pointed at the good guy.Instead of just pulling the trigger,he explains how he has always dreamt of this moment & goes on about it.This usually leads to the good guy getting out of the situation.
  • goldberry1goldberry1 Posts: 2,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When the hairstyles match the era in which the film was made but not the era in which the film is set - eg the hairstyles in the Battle of Britain which are more 1960s than 40s
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When films in trailers are promoted as "From the Director/Writer of" instead of naming the person, even when they are quite well known, e.g A most wanted man, do they really think people won't know who John Le Carre is?
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    When underwater vessels get the slightest knock and then all hell breaks loose with fires springing up all over the place.
  • Danger CloseDanger Close Posts: 3,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The last match in the box/book.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A character lights up a cigarette and just a few seconds later, tosses it away or snubs it somewhere.

That annoys me. I'm not even a smoker.
  • mialiciousmialicious Posts: 4,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Inappropriately white teeth.
  • Tal'shiarTal'shiar Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Car windscreens which can stop bullets even as they are shattered.
    Automatic weapons which fire continuously for ages whereas in real life they would be empty in seconds.
    People who die instantly when shot; some people have sustained up to 100 bullet wounds and survived.
    Guns which fire when dropped; not possible.
    People getting kicked in the goolies and getting up in less than 2 hours; never happens.
    Fires in which there's lots of coughing but never any smoke.
    People hammering on phone rests thinking it will reconnect them.
    People getting hit with chairs and shrugging it off.
    Fire extinguishers used for everything except extinguishing fires.
    English characters using American slang.
    Christopher Lambert, Thomas Jane and James Purefoy looking so alike.
    Arty 3D movies in which no one ever chucks anything out of the screen.
    Westerns in which people with the sun beating down on them announce that it'll be dark soon.
    Karl Urban: he just annoys me.

I would also add people who die when nothing even touched them! See any 80s action movie to see people dying for no reason (Commando does it ALOT)

Shakey cam - stupid fad that is used to cover poor action scenes and to "invoke" a notion of action when their is none.

Dutch angles - Another one that has been done to death and a few films having it all the time. Its just jarring and not at all smart.

The end, or is it...- Hideously over done, as is the next one which goes hand in hand

"based on a true story" etc - You know, there is no rule about putting that in a movie. Return of the Living Dead did it, claiming that the names of people was all that was changed, the story was completely true. Yep, a film about zombies taking over the world and nuclear attack and mass marshal law is "based on a true story". Same with the more recent horror drek, its not based on a true story. At best its based on the words of an idiot.

Consistently bad actors - Keanu Reeves, Will Smith for the last decade, Jaden Smith, Keanu Reeves, most of the baldwins, Randy Quad, Keanu Reeves, Adam Sandler, Paul Blart, Keanu Reeves

Parody films failing to grasp the concept of parody - Shaun of the Dead is a comedy about bad zombie films. It doesnt work because those films like Zombie Nosh are funny because they are meant to be serious attempts and fail in a spectacular way. Aping it doesnt work, its too self aware. Birdemic 2 has the same issue, its self aware and its ruined.

Almost sounds like I hate movies haha. I love em, but I am older now and its more like a marriage. I still love them, but at times I want to run away to south America and have nothing to do with them at times.
  • td1983td1983 Posts: 2,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When someone is pulled, seemingly unconscious, out of the water, sometimes the wreckage, and then, after a bit of CPR and the person giving it assuming that they are dead, they all of a sudden wake up with a great big wheeze. Currently seen in Into The Storm.
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Casual use of ejector seats in action movies. In reality most of the pilots who use them and live to tell about it, never fly again as a result of injuries sustained.
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    In rom-coms, when the girl strolls around her lover's home the morning after, inspecting the shelves while wearing his buttoned shirt (T-shirts are a rarity). The most trivial aspect that annoys me is the fact that she presumably arrived at the home in her own set of clothes, so what's preventing her from putting them back on?. It wouldn't be cute and/or sexy if the man made his way into the kitchen wearing her thong.

That's the difference between the sexes. There is something really cute and sexy about a woman in a bloke's shirt (and nothing else) and both men and women know it.