Steam Summer Sale

sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
Forum Member
✭✭
Anyone heard when it's going to be this year? (besides summer! :p)

Read an article or two that mentioned it might actually start later today to coincide with a trading cards feature that Steam are launching, although it was just guesswork.

Anbody got anything more concrete or heard differently? My wallet is ready!

Comments

• Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought it would be today because the last announcement in the beta of TC alluded to a big event coinciding with the TCs coming out of beta.

But others say there won't be a sale starting while so many new games are being released, so when there is a 2 week gap, that is when the sale will be.
  • Ash_735Ash_735 Posts: 8,493
    Forum Member
    The previous one came late last year in July, so we might see the same again here?
  • ixHellstormxixHellstormx Posts: 2,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looking forward to the sale :) time to bag a bargain or 10
  • Red ArrowRed Arrow Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No no no no no no no! I can't afford it! I can hear my credit card crying already in my wallet :p
  • ComedykevComedykev Posts: 524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think its Monday 1st
  • silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Comedykev wrote: »
    I think its Monday 1st

No offense but all I've heard is speculation for the last six weeks :o:(

I hope you are right though! ;)
  • ComedykevComedykev Posts: 524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    silentNate wrote: »
    No offense but all I've heard is speculation for the last six weeks :o:(

I hope you are right though! ;)

I read about it somewhere last week, something to do with some trading thing ending this week.

Cant find the link, sorry.
    Edit: here are some speculation http://www.google.co.uk/#q=steam+summer+sale&source=lnt&tbs=qdr:w&sa=X&ei=SP7OUabaJOS74ATX9IEY&ved=0CBoQpwUoAw&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.48572450,d.bGE&fp=5526d1c6ecf1fa63&biw=1600&bih=740 over the last week
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh god, not that time again is it :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Comedykev wrote: »
    I read about it somewhere last week, something to do with some trading thing ending this week.

Cant find the link, sorry.
    Edit: here are some speculation http://www.google.co.uk/#q=steam+summer+sale&source=lnt&tbs=qdr:w&sa=X&ei=SP7OUabaJOS74ATX9IEY&ved=0CBoQpwUoAw&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.48572450,d.bGE&fp=5526d1c6ecf1fa63&biw=1600&bih=740 over the last week

Yep... July 12th until the 22nd apparently! :eek: :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think any Steam Sale has started on a monday, usually Thursday
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    July 12th is a Friday :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hopefully we will see a return to activities, it's not the same without them.
  • Chelsea SaintChelsea Saint Posts: 2,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Always good to peruse the Steam Sales but I'm unlikely to bag much...famous last words! ;) This due to being a light gamer with a robust less is more ethos. Too much of a good thing and all that. Although the newish ARPG from NeocoreGames The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing may lure me in. Seems a useful looking dungeon crawling romp. A reduced DI Riptide would also appeal despite it's 'more of the same' negative reviews. More of that same is fine by me. I thought the first occasionally bordered on genius, despite it's technical quirks. Anyway, bring it on Steam. Always fun.
  • cat666cat666 Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Usually the sale starts on a Thursday. This Thursday is July 4th, which is Independance Day in the USA. It is therefore highly unlikley we will see a start this week as a lot of the people involved (and the consumers for that matter) will be outside having a BBQ. I'd guess the 11th July, or maybe even the 16th July.

They've only just released a new trading card game system. It is essentially rubbish, but apparantly if you collect whole decks you can get further discounts, so they'll let people get a few of those so they get more sales at the sale I guess. They are earned through playing the games, and are tradeable.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cat666 wrote: »

They've only just released a new trading card game system. It is essentially rubbish, but apparantly if you collect whole decks you can get further discounts, .

If you craft a badge you get a coupon for a discounted game.
  • sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Can the coupon be used on any game or are they coupons for specific games or series of games etc?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It isn't a guaranteed coupon. It might be a discount, it might be DLC, it might be something else.

I can't see that the discounts are going to be that much, or worth the hassle in getting the cards in the first place.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It isn't a guaranteed coupon. It might be a discount, it might be DLC, it might be something else.

I can't see that the discounts are going to be that much, or worth the hassle in getting the cards in the first place.

Hmm yes so it seems, i've crafted 2 badges so far and got 2 coupons. I got 66% on Awesomenauts and 25% on God Mode, i don't think I have seen a 75% yet.
    sodavlac wrote: »
    Can the coupon be used on any game or are they coupons for specific games or series of games etc?

I think there are coupons for any game, but they are very rare.
  • Jay-CeeJay-Cee Posts: 2,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't wait for the sales. I have a lot of things to buy
  • Ash_735Ash_735 Posts: 8,493
    Forum Member
    Pretty much everywhere else has a sale on right now, GOG, green Man Gaming, etc, it's like they're taunting, http://youtu.be/NwwY9y6O3hw
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ash_735 wrote: »
    Pretty much everywhere else has a sale on right now, GOG, green Man Gaming, etc, it's like they're taunting, http://youtu.be/NwwY9y6O3hw

I'd imagine there trying to gain sales before Steam get them. Personally I like Steam as all the games are right there, when I want them.
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Personally I like Steam as all the games are right there, when I want them.

I just buy stuff in the GMG sale and activate it on Steam... sorted!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ash_735 wrote: »

Thanks for the GMG info, didn't know they had a sale on. Just bought the Arkham Asylum/Arkham City double pack. With £2 GMG credit thrown into the deal, making it effectively £5.49 I'm well happy with that. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hmm yes so it seems, i've crafted 2 badges so far and got 2 coupons. I got 66% on Awesomenauts and 25% on God Mode, i don't think I have seen a 75% yet.

I think there are coupons for any game, but they are very rare.

Cheers. Time to get earning and crafting.
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is it just me or is the Green Man Gaming sale a bit pants? They keep rotating the same deals and many are for some quite obscure or really old items...