Alan Sugar racist?

juliancarswelljuliancarswell Posts: 8,896
Forum Member
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2446088/Lord-Sugar-faced-police-racism-probe-joking-Twitter-crying-Chinese-boy-upset-told-leaving-production-line-iPhone-5.html#comments

Lord Sugar has been investigated by police after being accused of posting a racist Twitter message, The Mail on Sunday can reveal.
The outspoken entrepreneur and Apprentice star posted a photograph of a crying Chinese child to 3.2 million Twitter followers, joking that the youngster was upset after being told off for leaving Apple’s iPhone production line – a reference to the Asian factories where the phones are made.
The tweet prompted a single complaint to the Metropolitan Police from a Twitter user, who referred to the Labour peer as a ‘vile racist’.

I suppose with 3.2 million followers, unless you only tweet vanilla stuff you are always going to upset someone.
But racist?
I would say poor taste.
Perhaps it could be argued that the people who use high value gadgets, manufactured by children in the third world in poor conditions on slave wages without a thought for them that are the racists.

Cute kid in the picture though.:)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    What a complete waste of time and money. It's not even poor taste, it's just an attempt at humour. Some will find it funny, others will not, but that's how subjective comedy can be.
  • muddipawsmuddipaws Posts: 3,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Although he is a vile man, on this occasion I don't think its racist at all. PC gone mad again
  • Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The complainant looks like an utter "wannabe".
  • IC89IC89 Posts: 1,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sugar has been a critic of the Daily Mail since the Miliband/Memorial scandal erupted, so I'm surprised the Mail on Sunday have run with this story....
  • GPWGPW Posts: 3,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The complainant should be charged with wasting Police time.
  • RoybandoRoybando Posts: 422
    Forum Member
    Worth a titter more than a guffaw........not racist, unless Apple is now considered a race.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suspect she's someone who often sees offence where none actually exists ..

I hate to say it, but i'd probably find it quite amusing if Sugar got his legal team to send her a letter informing her she's being sued for libel.
    IC89 wrote: »
    Sugar has been a critic of the Daily Mail since the Miliband/Memorial scandal erupted, so I'm surprised the Mail on Sunday have run with this story....

That's probably why they ran the story ..
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    Thinking about it, Sugar looks a lot like trollface..
  • RoybandoRoybando Posts: 422
    Forum Member
    She looks like an attention seeker.
  • DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree on this one. How can it be racist if the majority of people making apple products are Chinese?
  • nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The kid could well be a descendant of the people who made his Amstrad gear.

Isn't he from a Jewish family, maybe he could put in a counter compliant claiming anti-semitism.
  • tellywatcher73tellywatcher73 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe I'm missing something but isn't it a dig at apple rather than the Chinese race? Knee jerk reaction from the woman which is clear by her hesitancy in making a formal statement later.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2446088/Lord-Sugar-faced-police-racism-probe-joking-Twitter-crying-Chinese-boy-upset-told-leaving-production-line-iPhone-5.html#comments

Lord Sugar has been investigated by police after being accused of posting a racist Twitter message, The Mail on Sunday can reveal.
    The outspoken entrepreneur and Apprentice star posted a photograph of a crying Chinese child to 3.2 million Twitter followers, joking that the youngster was upset after being told off for leaving Apple’s iPhone production line – a reference to the Asian factories where the phones are made.
    The tweet prompted a single complaint to the Metropolitan Police from a Twitter user, who referred to the Labour peer as a ‘vile racist’.

I suppose with 3.2 million followers, unless you only tweet vanilla stuff you are always going to upset someone.
    But racist?
    I would say poor taste.
    Perhaps it could be argued that the people who use high value gadgets, manufactured by children in the third world in poor conditions on slave wages without a thought for them that are the racists.

Cute kid in the picture though.:)

Maybe "racism" needs re-defining.

At present I don't actually see any racist intent in what he said, as the same could have been said about any child worker.

I'd say it was more like veiled criticism of a regime which allows child labour.
  • SsddSsdd Posts: 1,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find it very arrogant of him. What a dick.
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not racist, it's attacking Apple for exploiting Chinese children. Mind you, with only one complaint it's not exactly "PC gone mad" either. And given that the "investigation" will probably consist of little more than a couple of coppers looking at a picture, having a quick meeting, looking down a checklist and going "nah", it's barely even a story.
  • SsddSsdd Posts: 1,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is he attacking apple though? Or making a joke at the fact that child labour is alive and kicking.

I'd say the child was attempting the zeleb pout. Urgh.
  • yourpointbeing?yourpointbeing? Posts: 3,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ssdd wrote: »
    I find it very arrogant of him. What a dick.

In what way is it arrogant?
  • Alan1981Alan1981 Posts: 5,416
    Forum Member
    Just another idiot who spouts the Racist line at every attempt to prove how intelligent she is. When asked to back up her statement by the police, she realises she has nothing so bottles it.

She would fit in quite well on this forum.
  • dosanjh1dosanjh1 Posts: 8,727
    Forum Member
    Non story, 1 humerlous person complains and it's PC gone mad. Another example of DM scraping the barrel.

The complainants a hottie though, she can complain about me whenever she likes.
  • kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree that it sounds like a fair enough dig at child labour.
  • heikerheiker Posts: 7,029
    Forum Member
    It's not racist...it's sarcasm.
  • kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    That girl needs a good rogering to wipe that smirk off her face.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    I can't stand the man. He just doesn't seem very happy does he? Time he took retirement from showbiz me thinks.
  • basdfgbasdfg Posts: 6,764
    Forum Member
    Does the women who complained work for the mail. Or asked to make it by them. Can't imagine anyone who would find it racist would then contact the Mail. Contradicts people. Wouldn't surprise me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,240
    Forum Member
    Fame at Last! And Free advertising to boot - clever!!!