Anger as Muslims pray at West Ham football match

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 632
Forum Member
✭✭
Click on this link and watch the video:

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/438337/VIDEO-Anger-as-West-Ham-fans-turn-on-own-Muslim-supporters-as-they-pray-under-main-stand

Seems to me like a very strange place to do prayers at a football match whilst the game is still going. :confused:
On the Facebook page where the videos were posted, some comments made jokes about “bacon sandwiches”, while one man said: “I'm no racist but seeing bout 30 Muslims get their prayer mats out at half time in front of a loada west ham fans at the game in the concourse has to be one of the dumbest things they can do if they don't wana be targeted or stereotyped in society. # Not doing yourself any favours.”

Comments

• JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Billy with another angry Muslim thread .. who'd have thunk it ? :)
  • Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member
    Anger? I don't see why the WH fans needed to show their anger.
  • JakobjoeJakobjoe Posts: 8,235
    Forum Member
    is taking religion in to football grounds a good idea
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Small group of men stand in the corner of an empty concourse, well out of the way of the actual spectators, disturbing no one, to say a prayer. Another group of men respond by shouting and swearing at them and trying to 'drown out their prayers'. It really is so hard to know whose side to take in this, isn't it?
  • Conor the BoldConor the Bold Posts: 1,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jakobjoe wrote: »

No.

But then again football is one of the few places where it's acceptable to be an anti social, tribalistic moron it seems.
  • BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I wonder how many prayers are said when an 89th minute penalty is given and the score is 1-1 ;)
    Forum Member

The supporters had been invited to the club as part of a highly commended initiative to forger close links with local community groups.

Whilst I don't think a football ground is the correct place to conduct prayers, I also don't think swearing, chanting and jeering was necessary. It makes those particular supporters look like intolerant fools.
  • JakobjoeJakobjoe Posts: 8,235
    Forum Member
    well theres 24 hours in a day...:confused:
    Forum Member
    No.

But then again football is one of the few places where it's acceptable to be an anti social, tribalistic moron it seems.

No, it isn't acceptable.
    Forum Member
    well theres 24 hours in a day

Indeed there are. There are also twenty six letters in the alphabet.
  • kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    Maybe they were asking Allah to grant their football club West Ham might choose a less haram name.
  • Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Billy with another angry Muslim thread .. who'd have thunk it ? :)

At least he's consistent I guess :)
  • MargMckMargMck Posts: 24,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Small group of men stand in the corner of an empty concourse, well out of the way of the actual spectators, disturbing no one, to say a prayer. Another group of men respond by shouting and swearing at them and trying to 'drown out their prayers'. It really is so hard to know whose side to take in this, isn't it?

Agreed.
    The men praying were doing nothing wrong and disturbing no one.
    It's not as if religion is banned from grounds. Abide With Me is a Christian hymn sung at the FA Cup Final and many football clubs have pastors or chaplains.
  • Conor the BoldConor the Bold Posts: 1,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jane Doh! wrote: »
    No, it isn't acceptable.

Tell that to a significant amount of match goers.

I agree with you incidentally.
  • HarrisonMarksHarrisonMarks Posts: 4,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ber wrote: »
    I wonder how many prayers are said when an 89th minute penalty is given and the score is 1-1 ;)

I used to pray all the time when watching my team. That's why I'm an atheist now.
  • TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
    Forum Member
    Billy D wrote: »
    Click on this link and watch the video:

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/438337/VIDEO-Anger-as-West-Ham-fans-turn-on-own-Muslim-supporters-as-they-pray-under-main-stand

Seems to me like a very strange place to do prayers at a football match whilst the game is still going. :confused:

what was the big deal with them praying, they were not halming anyone, the west ham "fans" acted disgracefully
  • VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Quick, everyone on to Twitter or Facebook and express your anger. :D

The media will be doing stories about DS threads next!
  • rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any West Ham fan shocked by this can't be a local, they would have seen groups of Muslims praying at least 1,242,749 times before

Probably the Essex brigade
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    Your obsession with all things Islamic is becoming quite clear OP.
  • Will_BennettsWill_Bennetts Posts: 3,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Totally agree . The Muslim Fans were doing nothing wrong . The fans shouting at them were yobs , who will hopefully get banned from the club (but I appreciate it was a small minority of idiots).
  • NortherlyNortherly Posts: 1,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its actually sad to see some brainwashed youths standing murmering to noone based on a fairly backward superstition. They should be pitied. Its rather pathetic.
  • UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

"Abide With Me" is a religious song and it's played every FA Cup final.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,240
    Forum Member
    haha, my first thought was that this article is going to ask why football stadiums do not have prayer rooms.
  • Cheetah666Cheetah666 Posts: 16,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Muslims have set prayer times, so I'd imagine half time just coincided with one of those times. What a fuss about nothing.
  • skipjack79skipjack79 Posts: 3,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jane Doh! wrote: »
    I also don't think swearing, chanting and jeering was necessary.

I take it that you haven't been to many games then? :D

On a serious note, I'm not sure how wise this stunt was. Some may say it's even in bad taste, with the fairly local Lee Rigby incident still fresh in people's memories, and so soon after the latest Islamic Terror massacre in Kenya.