Was killing off Den Watts a mistake?

MattehhhftwMattehhhftw Posts: 8,688
Forum Member
I loved his exit storyline in 2005, it was very gripping and really made a great character out of Chrissie but I can't help but feeling killing him off was a mistake? What are other thoughts? :)

Comments

• Fergie86Fergie86 Posts: 7,961
    Forum Member
    Probably was a mistake to be honest, he could have played a huge part in the Sharon/Dennis story e.g trying to stop the wedding, Feud with Phil who would of be gunning for revenge after Den set him up for armed robbery, Den could of gone after Johnny Allen after Dennis death and felt guilty that he was never the Father to Dennis he should of being. The possibilities were endless, though after the Webcam incident Leslie Grantham's days were always going to be numbered, which is a shame.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No
    His return from the dead is one of the worst story arcs EE has ever done imo
    The best thing to come out of it was Chrissie
  • B*witchedB*witched Posts: 5,647
    Forum Member
    Den's murder storyline was very good but then there was his fling with Zoe Slater which was ridiculous imho.
  • 0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with you Matthew. His murder story is for me the best one EE have ever done but he had so many potential interactions that never came to pass: Grant, Peggy and so much more potential with Dennis, Sharon, Phil, Chrissie, Pat, Dot, Pauline etc.
  • BenllechBenllech Posts: 2,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think his return was that bad, up until the end of 2003 I found it gripping stuff and then towards the end of his stint in early 2005, again was gripping stuff. 2004 was a mess though for EE in general.

I didn't want Den to be killed off because he was a great character, legend even.

However his death set the stage for a brilliant 2005 for EE and Chrissie really came into her own.
  • bass55bass55 Posts: 18,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No. Killing Den was a bold move but it was the right thing to do - it was one of the best storylines EastEnders has ever done.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 220
    Forum Member
    Biggest mistake they ever made killing him of again
  • ameewameew Posts: 2,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was a big mistake . Dens probably one of EE's strongest male characters. Him vs Johnny would have been great stuff . If he had returned shortly after Sharon this time, things would be much better.
  • MattehhhftwMattehhhftw Posts: 8,688
    Forum Member
    I always wanted to see Den and Peggy share scenes!
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was definitely a mistake, though I reckon they were always going to kill him off in the end, it just came a bit earlier than planned. Den would have made a good partner for Janine, methinks! :D
  • boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Biggest mistake was bringing him back!
    His return was a dud & it damaged his iconic status.
  • Lady VoldemortLady Voldemort Posts: 10,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    boddism wrote: »

I agree. Den was a legend and had he stayed dead (the first time) he would have remained one. His resurrection and most of what followed ruined that for me. The only bit I can say I enjoyed was Chrissie.
  • valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member

True. And now the same has happened to Sharon.
  • kingcnutkingcnut Posts: 590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He should have stayed dead. They ruined him.
  • computermastercomputermaster Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah definitely. No matter what the fans say, the show should always keep the most interesting characters and the ones that offer the most entertainment.
  • Dr K NoisewaterDr K Noisewater Posts: 11,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Although his murder storyline was fantastic i do think it was a mistake killing him for the second time. After all the effort they went to suspend reality and bring him back it seemed such a waste to kill him again so soon after. It was all down to his webcam antics however that brought about his second demise the producers would never have dreamt of killing off their big icon if they hadnt been under such pressure to get rid of him because of his behaviour off-screen.
  • lordo350lordo350 Posts: 3,636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes and No.

On one respect, Den's murder storyline was really well done, twisting and turning and involving half the cast in it most of the time, centred around good characters with their own personal histories with each other (Sharon and Grant, Kat and Zoe etc) and one of the best nuanced characters they've had, Chrissie Watts.

That being said

No matter how good a death storyline is, once its done... that's it. The character can never come back. I cite Pat as an example here. Her death, Brannings aside, was brilliant (but shouldn't have been over and done with within 3 weeks), bringing back David and Simon, but now... she's dead. And by God does the show miss her. The same can be said for Den Watts. Yes, 2004 was not a good year for Den, but there were such shades of brilliance. He was just such a bloody good character. A manipulator, with barley any remorse. He could fight, but used words to get what he wanted, and the vast majority of the time succeeded in that.

There was tonnes more scope for the character. But the webcam scandal nailed the coffin shut. After they brought him back from the dead, to save the show's reputation they couldn't just have him leave, as it suggests he can come back. They had to completely wash their hands of him. And kill him off in a way that cannot be disputed. We saw his brains all over the floor. He was definitely dead.

Had that webcam thing never happened... who knows? I don't think the actor would have stayed this long, but maybe could have been an on-off character. If Bianca can come and go when she pleases, I think they could have let Dirty Den do that. Come on.... how sweet would a scene between Den and Grant have been? I mean, really.
  • bumpandgrindbumpandgrind Posts: 12,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

This basically but I wouldn't have killed him off. I also hated the writing for his towards the end - they turned him into a dirty old man with an obsessive, almost sexual fixation with Sharon.
  • 0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This basically but I wouldn't have killed him off. I also hated the writing for his towards the end - they turned him into a dirty old man with an obsessive, almost sexual fixation with Sharon.

I felt like they were punishing the actor with some of the leery stuff they made him do.
  • Amazee-DayzeeAmazee-Dayzee Posts: 1,809
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it was a mistake to kill him off but I think it was even a BIGGER mistake to have him sleep with Zoe. That scene of them in bed together which I found on YouTube will forever haunt me. Can you imagine what would have happened if Zoe hadn't had an abortion? Den Watts would have been the father of Kat's first grandchild. Kat's first grandchild would have been Sharon's sibling-in-law and Denny's aunt/uncle. Kat and Sharon would have been even more linked.
  • attitude99attitude99 Posts: 14,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember Den's murder. It was gripping at the time as it was all over the cover of TV magazines in all the shops. It was good since it involved three Women who Den had messed with, Sam he conned the Vic out of, Zoe he got pregnant so she could blackmail Dennis into a relationship & Chrissie he cheated on her with Kate Mitchell (cue the iconic haircut/catfight scene in the salon). I think Zoe hit him first then Chrissie hit him a second time, killing him & Sam saw it. Chrissie then made Zoe think the it was her which was the reason she left. I loved the scene at Den's funeral with Peggy slapping Chrissie into the grave.

I think killing Den off was a punishment to the actor because of the webcam business & him calling several actors awful names publicly. However he was a good character who played women at the same time. Plus he & Chrissie were a good couple IMO especially when they were running the Vic.

If I recall him & Dot did a two hander in the launderette in 2004 I think? I remember watching something on YouTube a while back.
  • Marcus_SmithMarcus_Smith Posts: 3,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The worst was having him buried at what's at the heart of the show the queen vic they should have hid his body somewhere else. Would Love Linda or one the other carters to find out Sharon's dad was buried in the cellar just for there reactions.
  • Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The single biggest mistake in EE history. :(

To millions upon millions Den Watts was the biggest character Walford has ever had.

Perhaps with him around TPTB would finally have removed their heads from Philth's saggy fat arse for a couple of seconds. >:(
  • Broken_ArrowBroken_Arrow Posts: 10,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The show has changed so much since Den was in it that I sometimes can't wrap my head around the fact this is the same series. Dirty Den and Angie are such larger than life classic soap icons but EastEnders has become very mundane in recent years. Seeing David Wicks and Sharon enacting such boring storylines really hits it home.
  • valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    The show has changed so much since Den was in it that I sometimes can't wrap my head around the fact this is the same series. Dirty Den and Angie are such larger than life classic soap icons but EastEnders has become very mundane in recent years. Seeing David Wicks and Sharon enacting such boring storylines really hits it home.

Whilst I agree that the original Den was indeed a fantastic character, Angie was nothing but a screechy neurotic drunk.