The Great British Bake Off - Series 5 - Starts 6th August 2014

Comments

• mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has the series already been recorded and so the winner is already known to the contestants?

Yes on both counts. But all participants, families & production crew are sworn to secrecy.
  • radcliffe95radcliffe95 Posts: 4,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    Yes on both counts. But all participants, families & production crew are sworn to secrecy.

Are they bound by contract?

If so does that mean the contestants were paid?
  • claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So I really cannot understand why there should be some people or trolls who are determined to being nasty and throwing vile & unnecessary remarks towards the contestants & worst already being negative when the show has not even started yet!

Idek. Seems they get some kind of kick out of it. Personally I'm here for the baking. There's always going to be some contestants you like more than the others but you'd have to be pretty easily manipulated by the editing to declare what some people manage to about the contestants!
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone else avoiding most of the promotional info in the papers about this year's show &- in particular -contestants? I dunno about you but I prefer to go into it cold & not know much about the people taking part, so to see features about the new contestants in Metro et al is a bit grating.

Me. I never go into a series having read up on the contestants. The only thing I know is that there is a seventeen year old girl in it this year.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are they bound by contract?

If so does that mean the contestants were paid?
    Not bound by contract, but there was a recent article which said that it's all done on trust, and that as yet, no-one has broken that trust.
  • GoobyGooby Posts: 1,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not bound by contract, but there was a recent article which said that it's all done on trust, and that as yet, no-one has broken that trust.

And that is the essence of GBBO and what makes it special! Maybe we should have a separate GBBO thread where it is following the baking only. No personal insults allowed - only mild indignation at isolated incidents.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It worked well last time considering the large number of people who must have known the result - contestants, family, film crew, hotel staff. There was a massive amount of speculation in media and online but if anything the speculation was more about the two runners up than the actual winner.
  • radcliffe95radcliffe95 Posts: 4,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'd be surprised if that isn't the case this year.
  • horwichallstarshorwichallstars Posts: 16,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looking forward to bake-off

Just hoping "central casting" hasn't been involved this year, and we get really great bakers, rather than people who are there for their backstory. I always think it must be disheartening for people who applied and didn't get through, when someone who isn't so good gets through.
  • guernseysnailguernseysnail Posts: 18,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Evening...When is the spin off show with Jo Brand on?...I can't seem to see it anywhere!
  • SandgrownunSandgrownun Posts: 5,024
    Forum Member
    Evening...When is the spin off show with Jo Brand on?...I can't seem to see it anywhere!
    Friday at 9pm on BBC2. Seems like a strange time to me, surely tonight at 9pm on BBC2 would make more sense.
  • guernseysnailguernseysnail Posts: 18,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Friday at 9pm on BBC2. Seems like a strange time to me, surely tonight at 9pm on BBC2 would make more sense.

Thanks very much..I was looking through tonight's TV schedule! I shall set the recorder right now!
  • BeethovensPianoBeethovensPiano Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Ahh thanks, was just wondering where that was too.:)
  • sausagesandwichsausagesandwich Posts: 2,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Evening, gang.

Here we go again. I think it's time to open a fresh bag of mixed nuts, warm up the old set, close the curtains and get ready to drool.
  • scotchscotch Posts: 10,616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looking forward to this!
  • BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    Evening.
  • MishcollMishcoll Posts: 12,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So pleased they moved GBBO to a wednesday - I can watch live as I usually work tues evening so have had to record it
  • GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hello!

It is quite silly how excited I am that GBBO is back.
  • BeethovensPianoBeethovensPiano Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hellooooo everyone !
  • DeltaBluesDeltaBlues Posts: 4,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hello! :waves:

I'm unspoiled too, I like to 'meet' them for the first time on the show proper.

I hope BBC1 have looked after it properly or there'll be a stern letter.
  • applepie2100applepie2100 Posts: 23,484
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Evening all and here we go :D
  • mazzy50mazzy50 Posts: 13,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good Evening All :)
  • jonbwfcjonbwfc Posts: 18,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    woohoo!
  • GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And here starts my yearly want for a neff oven with a slide away door.
  • anteroantero Posts: 5,547
    Forum Member
    Talk of tasting wares already, bet Mary is salivating